FOP at closing time

raider97

DIS Veteran
Just a heads up that my family jumped in the standby line tonight at 7:45 and were told they were closing the line at 8 p.m. for a 9 p.m. AK closing. Just a heads up for anyone planning a closing trip.

Remember when... disney seemed to bend over backwards to extend that big Mickey hand n be sure you were getting that Magical feel?
And now... people plan n plan for weeks if not months, and unfortunately don’t get pixie dusted with a FOP FP.. but they trudge on and do what they think best.
decide to wait in a long stand by line for an Open ride.. but alas .. they close the line an hour Before a park closing? :(.
Have they figured out that people are using the “ wait till closing” strategy to get on FOP stand by line and trying to put an end to it? It’s the only way we got to ride more than one visit.
It just reminds me of when 7 dwarfs opened ... 3 visits to the park and we never got a FP, refused to wait over 1.5 hours ( yes, by choice) and felt cheated.
.. and Oh so Disappointed.

Now... we just figure eventually an opportunity will arise where “ the latest” will avail itself to us, lol. Less stress, and More enjoyable.
It’s a choice, I get it.. but with break downs, delays, price increases, such long lines despite every time of year now, it wears one down.
Or it could just be this awful head cold getting the best of me.
It’s all good...:)

Out of curiosity, what was the posted wait time when you entered the line, and how long did the line actually take?

I read all the time how people jump in the line at the last possible minute but i have not had luck with that-- as the line is already closed.

Thank you for any insights. This is a strategy that one of my travel companions wants to use. (Jumping in line near the close of the park.) I'd like to let them know if it's not going to work out as they expect.

They used to do this with 7DMT when it first opened, but when I reported on here, lots of posters jumped down my throat and said I was wrong. Well, hmmph to all of them!

It’s interesting that there is only one report of this, and nothing on the WDW app about the ride closing early.

Maybe there was a private event in Pandora after closing time last night.

I wouldn’t jump to conclusions and declare that the best strategy for this ride is no longer valid.

They used to do this with 7DMT when it first opened, but when I reported on here, lots of posters jumped down my throat and said I was wrong. Well, hmmph to all of them!

I don’t ever remember 7D closing early. We’ve ridden it several times over the years at closing time or just after the fireworks and often find a 10 minute wait.

Our longest wait ever using this strategy was 20 minutes and that was during opening week in 2014.

Hopefully that is just for the really busy time of year. We have used the end of the night strategy in October, April and May and it has worked well. Rarely more than a 20 minute wait.

I don’t ever remember 7D closing early. We’ve ridden it several times over the years at closing time or just after the fireworks and often find a 10 minute wait.

Our longest wait ever using this strategy was 20 minutes and that was during opening week in 2014.

It didn't close early; they had a placard stating the queue would close to new guests at a certain point.

With the recent change of Disney closing more attractions before park closing I could see this being in line with that kind of thinking. Close the unpopular rides and the lines for the popular rides early to reduce the staffing and save money.

Last edited:
That’s weird. I was there on Labor Day weekend and my friend and I were able to get in line right at 8:45 for a 9:00 closing and waited only 30 minutes for FOP. Maybe they’re changing things up. :(

Purely speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a certain amount of time after closing that they'd be willing to run the ride that wasn't indefinite. Ie. if the line is posted/inflated at 120 but really only 60-90 mins, they would leave the line open until park close. But if the line is legitimately long enough to expect waits of 2-3 hours (as is possible this week), closing the line early so guests aren't in the park/staff being paid/etc for several hours after closing would make a certain amount of sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter