• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FOP - Motion Sickness

I started to feel queasy and started to panic a bit. Felt the same queasy and panicked feeling when the darkness subsided and the "landscape" was in front of me. I was certain I was in for a terrible experience but then I realized that I was fighting the ride.

This is almost exactly how I felt. The seat didn't bother me at all but after the CM came and pushed in on my restraints, I felt a little more trapped. When the ride started, it made me feel a little panicky at first, especially with the type of movement that is at the very beginning of the ride. But once we "took off," I remembered to breathe and my mind was taken off that I was on a ride and fully went over to the experience in front of me. I'm one who is perfectly fine on roller coasters, drops, fast rides, but it's the jerky or back and forth motions that do me in (I can't do a Pirate Ship either!).

I'm a Thrill Ride Addict but I was a little queasy after my first go around on FoP, mostly because I was caught by surprise by how realistic the motion simulation was. I had no problem on subsequent ridings.

Bill From PA

I've been known to get motion sickness sometimes but Fop was fine for me. Even EE, although more intense, is enjoyable to me. To me Mission Space was a lot worse (still didn't get motion sickness though)

For everyone has ridden, if you experience motion sickness how rough was this? I can't do the theater in china, struggled through Ellen's Adventure when all the screens move and had a barftastic experience in the VR attraction at DisneyQuest. Would this take me down?
As many have said, everyone is different so it can be hard to tell. That being said, based on your example of what bothers you, I would say yes this ride will bother you. I have milder motion sickness than some of those that have replied but mission space green is horrible for me, so are the teacups, & the stupid stars on star tours. This ride I wore a patch & took something for anxiety before. During the ride I was surprised at how little affects I felt. I think this is because I found it easier to escape the experience if I needed to. It was much easier than Soarin to simply look to 1 side & not have to see the screen. The screen wasn't as enveloping as Soarin is. There is 1 scene towards the end of the ride where you do this spiral dive & that made me iffy. I will say though, it was after the ride that I felt the impacts more. I noticed if I turned my head I got dizzy. That lasted for about 15-20 minutes. When the dizziness happened the stomach whoosh feeling would hit, but it was gone in a second or 2. Very weird.
I'd say if you have strong meds that usually help you, take them & try the ride to do it once. If meds don't normally help, especially with something like the china movie, then skip this ride unfortunately.

You don’t mention whether you take any medicine for your motion sickness, but from your description of your sensitivity I wouldn’t try FoP without taking something. Everyone’s different but taking one all day non-drowsy Dramamine with breakfast works like a charm for me.
I haven't taken anything but I think I will try the Dramamine when I get on.

You won't know until you try it. I was very worried because I have vertigo. I started taking meclizine two weeks before the trip. I always do this due to getting sick traveling to WDW. I also used peppermint essential oils right before the ride. I don't know if that helped because I usually don't use essential oils, but my mom swore this would help so I appeased her. I got a little queasy halfway through the ride, but I closed my eyes for a few seconds and took deep breaths and it passed. When I got off the ride, my equilibrium felt a little off but it passed within a few minutes. Now, my DH, on the other hand, who never gets motion sick, did not do well. He was sick feeling the whole time and said he will never do it again.

Since I worried that I might get sick, I planned the ride for the last thing of the day. We got in line right before closing. That helped with our wait time. We ended up waiting about an hour. And we left right after we rode it and went back to our room for bed. Worked out great!

I get horrible motion sickness, even just playing first-person video games, and on anything that spins (or even takes tight corners or goes in circles a lot, like some of the coasters). Flight of Passage made me motion sick most of the time I had my eyes open. However, I still had a LOT of fun on the ride just peeking from time to time. The sensation of the ride itself didn't make me sick at all, so if you like the feeling of the turns, the bumps, the air, etc. you can still have a good time and just close your eyes if you feel queasy.

For everyone has ridden, if you experience motion sickness how rough was this? I can't do the theater in china, struggled through Ellen's Adventure when all the screens move and had a barftastic experience in the VR attraction at DisneyQuest. Would this take me down?

Just do what I did through half of the attraction, close your eyes.

I have pretty minimal motion sickness issues for the most part luckily (roller coasters and I get along just fine), but I do struggle with being a passenger on long car rides, some 3D movies or the country films at World Showcase, and on my most recent trip learned the hard way that I can no longer enjoy Star Tours or Mission Space. :crazy2: That being said, I was totally fine on FOP! It could have been the way that the simulation is experienced (different seating, wind in the face feel, a bit more space between you and the visitor next to you), as I'm also more or less fine on Soarin' (apart from the drop back down at the end of the ride) as well which also has less of a confinement feel for me.

Everyone is different of course, however I think the ride is so incredibly outstanding that I would at least give it a shot personally(with back up meds at the ready just in case.) Like a previous poster, I too was so moved and overwhelmed by the end that I felt teary the first time I rode it - and I'm not even a big fan of the movie Avatar! You know your tolerance and comfort level so do what you think is best in the end, but if you think you can stomach it (literally :laughing: ) I really hope it works out for you and you enjoy yourself!

I'm a Thrill Ride Addict but I was a little queasy after my first go around on FoP, mostly because I was caught by surprise by how realistic the motion simulation was. I had no problem on subsequent ridings.

Bill From PA
This exactly. I love big rides but FOP caught me by surprise the first time around. It was kind of like nothing else I've rode before. It's so immersive, I feel like I could ride for an hour without getting tired of it. And yes subsequent ride was fine!

Curious to know from someone with motion sickness if closing your eyes on a ride like this would mitigate the feeling since the ride is mostly vision based unlike a roller coaster where you're feeling G-force?

I have a vision condition that at it's most basic level is my brain's inability to process what my eyes are seeing in a consistent, coordinated way. Star Tours makes me ill, I've got the spins in the China theater and that VR ride at Disney Quest was the worst! FoP didn't get to me! I did close my eyes as a precautionary measure on a few short parts, but I think I would have been fine without closing my eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter