• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FOP - small change to loading + attention asthmatics

I haven't ridden yet; you mention a 60 foot drop to the floor. Does the individual ride vehicle you sit on raise up that high, or does the floor go up that high, like a platform? Just trying to get an idea of what the ride is like, thanks!
Neither. Look at the Pandora thread, there are numerous photos to show you what it looks like.
You are seated on 1 of 3 rows (I believe it's 3 rows) of seats, in front of a screen. The screen opens in front of you. That is where the drop is. Or could be. Some rows are lower, some higher.

I haven't ridden yet; you mention a 60 foot drop to the floor. Does the individual ride vehicle you sit on raise up that high, or does the floor go up that high, like a platform? Just trying to get an idea of what the ride is like, thanks!
From what I could tell, there are four levels of seats. Each level has 16 seats. The entire room moves - I'm not sure the seats detach from the floor at all. It's really an impressive technical ride.

My kids had their ride stopped on 9/1 from someone standing up on the ride.

I haven't ridden it yet, and I'm curious if your arms are technically "free?" Bizarre reason I have for asking - I am somewhat prone to motion sickness, so when trying something with motion like this for the first time, I always stuff a plastic (Target-type) bag in my pocket in case I feel sick.

Would I be able to access the front pocket of my shorts while the ride is in motion?

Your hands and arms are totally free, like holding the handlebars of a motorcycle. I rode the ride with one hand off during the enter ride holding my glasses on.

yes, your arms are totally free
As for access to your shorts, not sure. Maybe? You are sitting as if you a bike and leaning forward slightly. So it depends on how your short pockets are positioned as to if you could reach them. There may be other places you could put it in case you need it if you couldn't reach yours in such a position. Maybe right inside your shirt collar?

Yes, good idea - I'll stuff it in my collar just before getting on. I hope I'm fine, but you never know. Thanks!

I don't even know what ride this is referring to (I'm out of the loop on WDW) and the first page of posts are giving me claustrophobia just trying to work out what's going on.

I don't even know what ride this is referring to (I'm out of the loop on WDW) and the first page of posts are giving me claustrophobia just trying to work out what's going on.
Look at the Everything Pandora thread here. It will answer any questions and clear it up

I haven't ridden it yet, and I'm curious if your arms are technically "free?" Bizarre reason I have for asking - I am somewhat prone to motion sickness, so when trying something with motion like this for the first time, I always stuff a plastic (Target-type) bag in my pocket in case I feel sick.

Would I be able to access the front pocket of my shorts while the ride is in motion?

just close your eyes...
the first time i rode it, i had my eyes closed almost the entire time (even though i was wearing my sea bands)..

the second time i opened them every now and then..

the third time i had them open more, but every time i felt queasy i closed them again...

From what I could tell, there are four levels of seats. Each level has 16 seats. The entire room moves - I'm not sure the seats detach from the floor at all. It's really an impressive technical ride.

My kids had their ride stopped on 9/1 from someone standing up on the ride.

yes, there are 4 levels of seats...

someone stood up on 9/1????? that's more than a week after the incident the OP is talking about..

did he/she manage manage to pull himself out completely and stand up on the banshee? or stand up but still straddled?

that's just so crazy! why do people do things like that???

Thanks!
What would it do for you if you wore a surgical mask during the ride.

I see many guests wearing those masks due to various "airborne germ" concerns.

View attachment 266439

Thanks for the suggestion! My mom was wondering the same thing. I'll definitely try it next time we go, but only if the CM doesn't push me forward, because if it doesn't help I'll be in trouble...which is what happened to me on Mission Space (new green side). The air was so strong and I had no way to get away from it. It took me 20 minutes to get my breathing back to normal. Not fun...

Odd. Just back and rode it 5 times on 4 days (8/23-27), and don't recall them doing anything to the back restraint....they just walked by & said "kick your legs". (to make sure leg restraint is in place) and adjusted those if needed. which day did you ride? (I rode W late, Thu AM, Sat eve twice, Sun mid-am).Sat eve a thin kid net to me had lots of space between him & chest pad (we sat there a long time, then ended up having to move to another room so I was chatting with that family for a bit).

Very different CM interpretation of procedures? or perhaps you rode last after I did and I missed the change?

From reading replies to my post it definitely seems like the procedures are being interpreted differently by different CMs, which is interesting since the CM I spoke to said they had just received new rules that they had to follow closely.

From reading replies to my post it definitely seems like the procedures are being interpreted differently by different CMs, which is interesting since the CM I spoke to said they had just received new rules that they had to follow closely.
Welcome to Disney where the definition of the term, follow rules closely, is very different than elsewhere in the world. Because they disseminate the rules that need to be followed differently than the rest of the world.

Hmmm, hope that doesn't last. Leaning against the chest pad hits right at the wrong place on my sternum and causes my reflux to act up. Last time I rode it I just stretched my arms out when the back restraint was coming up so I wasn't against when it set. Not my favorite ride to start with and I won't be riding it without my son but he loved it so if he's with me,I'd ride it again.

lovestodive, why is it not your favorite ride? I have mixed feelings about it, and I get scared on Soarin. So, I don't ride Soarin anymore due to that. I hear FOP is like an enhanced Soarin, so I was just wondering what about the ride caused you not to list it as a favorite? Thanks,

We rode Sunday morning (9/3) and they were doing this procedure. They had you scoot your hips up as far as possible and then checked to make sure the back restraints were quite snug.

lovestodive, why is it not your favorite ride? I have mixed feelings about it, and I get scared on Soarin. So, I don't ride Soarin anymore due to that. I hear FOP is like an enhanced Soarin, so I was just wondering what about the ride caused you not to list it as a favorite? Thanks,

I was uncomfortable both times we rode it. The first time I did like you are supposed to and leaned all the way into it for the back brace to set and it was pushing against my sternum the whole time. I have reflux so it was hurting that. The second time I rode it I braced my arms back (still with my hands on the handlebar) so when the back brace came up I was not actually touching the front, which helped with that. The glasses were about 5 times too big for my head so I had to hold them on with one hand the entire time. I couldn't even look up and them stay on my head. I wear reading glasses but probably need regular bi-focal glasses now, just haven't bothered to get them because I see o.k. far away. The screen was just that sweet spot distance that I couldn't see well with or without my glasses so it was always a tad blurry. Combine that with having to fight to keep the glasses on and that wasn't fun. Soarin doesn't bother me a bit, Star Tours makes me a little nauseous, not enough to throw up but enough so I'm sweating and shaking by the time we get off. We tried it again this year after not having ridden it for many years since my son was o.k. on FOP and both of us decided not again for that. FOP was somewhere in between, I was o.k. when we got off but had to sit for a few minutes and just rest. My son loved it, it didn't make him sick or hurt him in any way and he has nerve damage in spinal cord so that means it was pretty smooth.

I was uncomfortable both times we rode it. The first time I did like you are supposed to and leaned all the way into it for the back brace to set and it was pushing against my sternum the whole time. I have reflux so it was hurting that. The second time I rode it I braced my arms back (still with my hands on the handlebar) so when the back brace came up I was not actually touching the front, which helped with that. The glasses were about 5 times too big for my head so I had to hold them on with one hand the entire time. I couldn't even look up and them stay on my head. I wear reading glasses but probably need regular bi-focal glasses now, just haven't bothered to get them because I see o.k. far away. The screen was just that sweet spot distance that I couldn't see well with or without my glasses so it was always a tad blurry. Combine that with having to fight to keep the glasses on and that wasn't fun. Soarin doesn't bother me a bit, Star Tours makes me a little nauseous, not enough to throw up but enough so I'm sweating and shaking by the time we get off. We tried it again this year after not having ridden it for many years since my son was o.k. on FOP and both of us decided not again for that. FOP was somewhere in between, I was o.k. when we got off but had to sit for a few minutes and just rest. My son loved it, it didn't make him sick or hurt him in any way and he has nerve damage in spinal cord so that means it was pretty smooth.

Thanks for that info. It sounds like they really strap you in! Is it that rough? I still don't know if I will do it or not. I do ok on star tours but can't tolerate Soarin, so who knows?:) I'm glad your son can ride it without problems:) thanks again.

Oh thank you very much for sharing this! I have outgrown most of my asthma symptoms but this is still an odd trigger for me. Good to know I might need to use my inhaler after the ride.

You're welcome!! I'm glad I could help! You should also be prepared for Mission Space. The seat I got had really strong air blowing in my face and it was really bad...there was no way to get away from it because of the way the seat is built and I was really suffering. It took me 20 minutes to get my breathing back to normal.

Thanks for that info. It sounds like they really strap you in! Is it that rough? I still don't know if I will do it or not. I do ok on star tours but can't tolerate Soarin, so who knows?:) I'm glad your son can ride it without problems:) thanks again.

It's really not rough at all, it's pretty smooth. I think they only need to hold you in that securely to make sure you don't get out if you get scared, because that would be especially dangerous on this ride due to how the ride works and how the building is set up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter