FOP vs Harry Potter in terms of motion sickness?

MinneTinK

MinneTinK
The Harry Potter ride at IOA made my husband very sick a few years ago, for those that had similar experiences, did FOP have the same effect? Wondering if I should book him a FP for FOP or not. Note no other ride in WDW has made him sick (RnRC, ToT, etc are all fine, it is more the combo of movement and special effects)

Forbidden Journey (before they toned it down) made me green, no other roller coaster or sim had ever done that to me in any theme park. FoP doesn't negatively impact me at all. If your husband does Star Tours and Soarin' okay, he should be fine, but no guarantee obviously.

I felt lousy for an hour after Forbidden Journey. No such result from FOP, and we've ridden that several times. There are a couple times during FOP where the motion affects me slightly, but it's a fleeting sensation that's never lasted.

I think they are similar, depending on your sensitivities. The first time I rode FoP, I was on the extreme side of the screen, and I saw a lot of ghosting from the 3D. If you're sensitive to motion, make sure you get in the center.

FoP is very similar to the “flying” scenes at Forbidden Journey, but it won’t move through a ride, is a stationary motorcycle like seat and it lean over the screen. FoP is superior than FJ, the 3D effect is more immersing, movement is similar, they won’t put you upside down like FJ.

You really can’t compare the two, they’re very very different. I usually don’t have problems on any ride a FJ gets me. Fop is so smooth I wouldn’t use his reaction to FJ to gauge FOP. If he has had trouble on other easier rides that would be easier to compare but FJ is it’s own beast.

You really can’t compare the two, they’re very very different. I usually don’t have problems on any ride a FJ gets me. Fop is so smooth I wouldn’t use his reaction to FJ to gauge FOP. If he has had trouble on other easier rides that would be easier to compare but FJ is it’s own beast.

I agree. I used the motion sickness patch throughout my trip, but I found the HP rides to be much jerkier. No problems with FOP, no residual dizziness. I didn't have to close my eyes for any of it, either!

I think they are similar for motion sickness, but for different reasons. FJ flips you around and has flying scenes projected. FoP keeps you upright, but has "virtual" rolls and lots of motion. Also, I found that being in the center of the screen helps a lot. On my first ride, I was on the far left side of the screen. I saw a lot of ghosting of the 3D image, which was a little disorienting and unpleasant. The next times I rode, I was more in the middle and it was fine. Also, keep in mind that closing your eyes or looking away from the screen is a way to avoid some of the motion sickness, if you're already on the ride and it's bothering you.

I just asked this same question on the attractions board a couple days ago!:tongue: Forbidden Journey made me sick, but I'm totally fine on Star Tours and Soarin'. The advice I got was that I *should* be okay on FOP!

Forbidden Journey made me feel sick for hours after the ride, but FOP didn't bother me at all.

I found it was just as bad for me. FJ, I can ride it but not look at the screens and was pretty much the same for FoP. I can ride any roller coaster and it doesn't bother me but the simulated rides get me every time!

I haven't ridden FOP, but I find, for FJ, that taking meclizine (non-drowsy motion sickness pill) an hour before riding, it keeps me from feeling sick. I plan on doing this for FOP just in case, so perhaps you could present that as an option to your husband?

FJ and FoP were in the minor queasy zone for me. ST and MS were :crazy2:. My vote is for him to try it. He can close his eyes to the visuals, and the motions are smooth and easy in FoP so the motion aspect shouldn’t be bad.

I asked this same question before my trip in December! I get motion sick on Forbidden Journey and I had heard there were similarities to FoP and I was nervous - that feeling can ruin my whole day! I was assured by several people that they’re different.. so we got fast passes and gave it a shot.. and I am SO GLAD that we did. It was the most incredible ride. I took some Bonine about an hour before just in case. It helped me to focus straight ahead during the ride, and I only closed my eyes once. I can’t wait to go back and do it again!

Unfortunately, I cannot speak from motion sickness experience, as I've never experienced motion sickness, but from comments I've seen on FJ in the Universal forum, a lot of individuals do make comments of being ill after going on the ride. However, some people on this thread state that themselves been on FOP and experienced sickness, but not on FJ, which I find interesting.

That being said, just simply from experiencing both rides themselves, both rides are smooth and graceful in terms of movement, however, FJ is more drastic and dramatic in terms of movement due to the flexibility in the robotic arm and doing more dramatic maneuvers (at one point you almost go upside down, but do not), where as FOP you're attached to something that more is in line with a stationary bike and your movement is limited in comparison to FJ.

Also, for example, I noticed @Laura527 stated she was ill on FOP, but not FJ, the reason might be due to the 3D elements, but non-3D elements of FJ. Which implies it's the screen and actions of it is a contributing factor as well, not necessarily motion. I back this claim up with being a contributing factor due to the fact that other FJs that were open in other parks ended up adding 3D as an additional element to the ride (as they were created after the original FJ), only to eliminate the 3D feature due to substantial increase reports of motion sickness in those parks.

It really depends on the person unfortunately and the combined elements of the ride.

FJ is the only ride I've ever been disoriented by - almost fell over when I got off the thing. On FOP, I found that I needed to focus on looking with purpose, if that makes sense. I kept my head as still as I could and turned it with intention to look around. Anytime I allowed my eyes to move with the motion of the ride, I started to get a little uncomfortable. It's a beautiful ride, though. I hope your hubs gets to try it.

I get nauseous on FJ and few things make me nauseous. My wife on the other hand can't ride Star Tours, but loves Soarin'. She opted out of FOP on our last trip but I think that was overly cautious.

I have never been on FJ, but FOP made me really nauseous for hours after and that was with my eyes closed half the time! I am fine on Soarin. FOP is awesome so I might try some anti-nausea meds next time we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter