"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Left today around 10 am and arrived at daughter's house in Nashville. Leaving here on Sunday morning for the drive to Florida.

We are leaving next week, can't wait! Our 4th time driving from the Chicago suburbs. We have always gone thru Indiana on I-65, but we are going to try taking I-57 thru IL this time. Anyone travel this route recently?

I got a great hotel deal, so we are staying just north of Atlanta on day 1. We usually push further on day 1, but I don't want to deal with Atlanta traffic on a Saturday evening.

Wish me luck surviving the drive with twin tweens! o_O
Just drove down 57 today. There were a couple of road construction tie ups - one around Kankakee, the other was further south - where traffic merged to one lane. Wouldn't have been too bad except for those drivers who drive in the lane that has to merge until the very end instead of merging in during the three miles to the merge. (Love the semi drivers who drive slowly in the lane that is closing keeping cars from speeding by to tie up the merge point even more). Outside of those two spots the other road construction and lane closures didn't delay us at all.

Anyone drive to Disney from Little Rock? Best route to take? We have to drive there from PA next year and will be staying for a couple of days, then driving to Disney.

Driving down in July with my 2 daughters and 2 of their friends. Just realized the other night that we'll have 5 people for our overnight stops instead of our usual 4. We usually drive until I'm tired (11 or 12 hours the first night) and then find a hotel to stay at. Sometimes it's a Springhill suites which has 2 beds and a pullout couch but sometimes not. Does anyone know how strict they are about 4 people to a room? The girls don't mind squishing in together. Otherwise it's going to make it a little harder to find a hotel.

We have a sleeps 6 timeshare for Disney so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

Arrived in Gainesville for the night. Tomorrow Disney! DH misses the check engine light since we got the catalytic converter replaced, but loves the improvement on gas mileage.

Driving down in July with my 2 daughters and 2 of their friends. Just realized the other night that we'll have 5 people for our overnight stops instead of our usual 4. We usually drive until I'm tired (11 or 12 hours the first night) and then find a hotel to stay at. Sometimes it's a Springhill suites which has 2 beds and a pullout couch but sometimes not. Does anyone know how strict they are about 4 people to a room? The girls don't mind squishing in together. Otherwise it's going to make it a little harder to find a hotel.

Thanks!
You're better off saying you're 4 with 2 that don't like to sleep together so to maybe get a rollaway. Or maybe even bring an inflatable mattress just in case. I wouldn't tell them you're 5.

And by now, you have arrived!

All the best! :thumbsup2
Yes, we arrived. And tomorrow we leave. Checked into Pop, and then drove over to Hollywood Studios for a couple of hours. Came back, rested a while, and then went to Disney Springs(took the bus there). Rain in the evening.
Tuesday, we were going to Epcot for F&G but it was raining so we waited until after the rain - well at least the morning rain. Drove over mid afternoon while it was dry, took the boat to Morrocco, got to the first food booth, and the skies opened up. Luckily, we were just getting our food, so we stood at the counter to eat it since no one else was there. Finally stopped so we could finish one half of Epcot.
Today ( Wednesday), rain was forecast again, but this time I took my insurance (an umbrella). Of course, Epcot was sunny with blue skies. Did the other half today, then back to the room to rest and pack up. Going to visit our grandkids in Ft Myers for a couple of days, then back up to Orlando to stop at Universal before heading back north with a stop in Nashville to spend Memorial Day weekend with the daughter there.
Finally home, do laundry and repack for the June trip 10 days later.

Thanks!
Probably best if you can reserve a room designed for five (e.g. Springhill Suites ahead of time), so you don't have to worry about finding a room for five. Many places will allow five, even if there's two beds. They'll arrange for a rollaway. But you probably have to check ahead of time.

However, if must resort to a room with a four person occupancy, at least try to find a room with two queen-sized beds. It's easy to fit three fairly small tweens/teens in a queen bed.

Keep in mind, the hotels don't set up occupancy limits There are occupancy limits due to the fire codes.

If you have to stay more than one night in a room designed for four, make sure you take at least one toothbrush with you when you leave the room. Some maids will check for toothbrushes. If there are five or more in the bathroom, they know you've exceeded occupancy.

Still, try to reserve a room for five ahead of time. Good luck.

Yes, we arrived. And tomorrow we leave. Checked into Pop, and then drove over to Hollywood Studios for a couple of hours. Came back, rested a while, and then went to Disney Springs(took the bus there). Rain in the evening.
Tuesday, we were going to Epcot for F&G but it was raining so we waited until after the rain - well at least the morning rain. Drove over mid afternoon while it was dry, took the boat to Morrocco, got to the first food booth, and the skies opened up. Luckily, we were just getting our food, so we stood at the counter to eat it since no one else was there. Finally stopped so we could finish one half of Epcot.
Today ( Wednesday), rain was forecast again, but this time I took my insurance (an umbrella). Of course, Epcot was sunny with blue skies. Did the other half today, then back to the room to rest and pack up. Going to visit our grandkids in Ft Myers for a couple of days, then back up to Orlando to stop at Universal before heading back north with a stop in Nashville to spend Memorial Day weekend with the daughter there.
Finally home, do laundry and repack for the June trip 10 days later.

Please check the all-time records on page one and see if your next quick-return trip affects your unique record.

Gas prices stabilizing in our neighborhood (around $2.05).

Nostalgic for the $1.39 price we experienced in SC in February.

Earth calling long-distance drivers. Our conversation needs some activity...!

Our trip is much later, -- December 26 is when we leave SW Wisconsin for the Fort. We are taking a new to us route, long, long Illinois, Nashville, then turning south through Alabama. I know it will add a couple hours more, but we decided south bound, through Atlanta, was just not working for us. It may also be an easier drive with our Fiver, and we will share our experience. We are making it two night trip for a more relaxing 20 hour drive.

Sorry, not leaving til July 17 from the Joliet, IL area!
What is your preferred route? We come from about an hour north of Milwaukee, and are always looking at new routes to Disney. Two trips ago, we took 65 through Indy and Louisville; then to Nashville, Atlanta, and on to FL. Last time we thought we'd try heading east, through South Carolina, then down to GA and through Jacksonville. That was a terrible decision. The route was nice, and should have added maybe an hour to our drive. But due to bad weather (mostly thick, thick fog) and construction, what should have been a 12-hr first day drive turned into 16-hours. We're thinking about taking 57 all the way through IL next year, but we may end up back on 65 again. It'll probably depend on construction at that time.

Our trip is much later, -- December 26 is when we leave SW Wisconsin for the Fort. We are taking a new to us route, long, long Illinois, Nashville, then turning south through Alabama. I know it will add a couple hours more, but we decided south bound, through Atlanta, was just not working for us. It may also be an easier drive with our Fiver, and we will share our experience. We are making it two night trip for a more relaxing 20 hour drive.
I'll be curious to hear how this goes! I wouldn't mind avoiding Atlanta, and we like driving (obviously -- otherwise I wouldn't be here) so a few extra hours on the 2nd day wouldn't bother me too much.

What is your preferred route? We come from about an hour north of Milwaukee, and are always looking at new routes to Disney. Two trips ago, we took 65 through Indy and Louisville; then to Nashville, Atlanta, and on to FL. Last time we thought we'd try heading east, through South Carolina, then down to GA and through Jacksonville. That was a terrible decision. The route was nice, and should have added maybe an hour to our drive. But due to bad weather (mostly thick, thick fog) and construction, what should have been a 12-hr first day drive turned into 16-hours. We're thinking about taking 57 all the way through IL next year, but we may end up back on 65 again. It'll probably depend on construction at that time.

I'll be curious to hear how this goes! I wouldn't mind avoiding Atlanta, and we like driving (obviously -- otherwise I wouldn't be here) so a few extra hours on the 2nd day wouldn't bother me too much.
We leave about 2am, take 80/94 to 65 thru Indy, Nashville, Louisville, etc. Atlanta is horrible no matter what time you drive thru it. That being said, it usually takes us 17-18 hours. We drive straight thru.

Ticker check! Starting to get really excited!

Any advice for dealing with I-4? Any good ways around when we get down there? We'll be coming down 95 and need to get to Black Lake Rd Kissimmee (it's off 192).

Thanks!

Ticker check! Starting to get really excited!

Any advice for dealing with I-4? Any good ways around when we get down there? We'll be coming down 95 and need to get to Black Lake Rd Kissimmee (it's off 192).

Thanks!

Take 417, the Central Florida Greenway. It is toll road but completely worth it to avoid I-4. And it is a fairly scenic ride. Just don't miss the toll booths (I missed one the last time, they kind of creep up on you)! You have to pull off a half dozen times and go through a toll booth (and the amounts differ at each one). Have your quarters ready! I think the total came to less than $11.00 which from the Disney perspective is a cheap experience, lol.

https://www.cfxway.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/417EasternBeltway.aspx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter