"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Anyone make the drive recently from the Chicago area? We're getting ready to get on the road in June and I was wondering how the route through Indiana is as compared to the route through Central Illinois? We took the route through Central Illinois a number of years back and it just seemed so long. To top it off on that trip there was a bad accident down in southern Illinois and we had to get off the road for a while and drive through a number of small towns. However when I check the maps today, it looks like (bing anyway) is estimating the route to be 1/2 an hour shorter through Illinois vs Indiana. Is there a huge amount of contstruction in Indiana or around Louisville? Hoping to get some info from people who've recently made the long trek..

Take 417, the Central Florida Greenway. It is toll road but completely worth it to avoid I-4. And it is a fairly scenic ride. Just don't miss the toll booths (I missed one the last time, they kind of creep up on you)! You have to pull off a half dozen times and go through a toll booth (and the amounts differ at each one). Have your quarters ready! I think the total came to less than $11.00 which from the Disney perspective is a cheap experience, lol.

https://www.cfxway.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/417EasternBeltway.aspx

Debbie, I hope you didn't actually pull off the highway to go through the tolls that are at the exits. There are two sets of toll booths on the highway right next to each other - one is SunPass, the other is cash. Usually there are two of each.

Generally, the SunPass tolls are the left two, and the cash are on the right. One of the cash booths will be cash only with just a basket, and the other will have a real live person to collect, and give you change. The total for the whole trip is around $7.00. The fact that you paid $11 makes me nervous that you did exit.

We have a permanent change jar in the kitchen that we collect between trips. It's fun when we count out and pay nickels only for the toll lol.

For those who haven't driven it before, the 417 exit is at the Sanford Airport and it goes all the way to Disney World. My recommendation is to take Exit 3 to go to Disney. You will go around Gaylord Palms then up the main road under the big welcome gate. If you take Exit 6, you have to content with folks exiting I-4 and going left to 192 or right to Disney Springs area. The traffic always is much more congested there.

Debbie, I hope you didn't actually pull off the highway to go through the tolls that are at the exits. There are two sets of toll booths on the highway right next to each other - one is SunPass, the other is cash. Usually there are two of each.

Generally, the SunPass tolls are the left two, and the cash are on the right. One of the cash booths will be cash only with just a basket, and the other will have a real live person to collect, and give you change. The total for the whole trip is around $7.00. The fact that you paid $11 makes me nervous that you did exit.

We have a permanent change jar in the kitchen that we collect between trips. It's fun when we count out and pay nickels only for the toll lol.

For those who haven't driven it before, the 417 exit is at the Sanford Airport and it goes all the way to Disney World. My recommendation is to take Exit 3 to go to Disney. You will go around Gaylord Palms then up the main road under the big welcome gate. If you take Exit 6, you have to content with folks exiting I-4 and going left to 192 or right to Disney Springs area. The traffic always is much more congested there.

Hmm. We just may have to try that 417 route one of these days because the I-4 experience is getting more intense.

All the best! :thumbsup2

When is it that I-4 is so bad, mainly weekdays during commuting hours?

I-4 is usually bad on any day that ends in a Y. :hyper:

Indeed, rush hours are particularly brutal but the "normal" Orlando to Lake Buena Vista stretch and traffic in general caused by the construction project make this part of the ride from I-95 unpleasant. Even in the post-midnight/early morning hours, driving on I-4 can be frustrating.

Anyone make the drive recently from the Chicago area? We're getting ready to get on the road in June and I was wondering how the route through Indiana is as compared to the route through Central Illinois? We took the route through Central Illinois a number of years back and it just seemed so long. To top it off on that trip there was a bad accident down in southern Illinois and we had to get off the road for a while and drive through a number of small towns. However when I check the maps today, it looks like (bing anyway) is estimating the route to be 1/2 an hour shorter through Illinois vs Indiana. Is there a huge amount of contstruction in Indiana or around Louisville? Hoping to get some info from people who've recently made the long trek..

We are leaving Saturday morning and google maps is routing me I55 to I57 to I24 to I75. We have gone that route the last few trips (with the exception of using Rt 47 south a ways) and never had issues. I hear there is less truck traffic this way. I can update when I get back.

LOL, I used to complain that it was during "long" rush hours, and that it was all local drivers because they were all Florida license plates. Then someone reminded me that rental cars have Florida license plates. DUH! That's really the issue with I-4. Locals commute and shoobies drive their rental cars and have no idea where they're going. So they have to cut across 4 or 5 lanes, or drive slow to look for an exit, or just generally are intimidated by the size and speed of the road.

We couldn't be more thrilled that we avoid it now. We will never, ever, ever go back to I-4, even when we've driven at midnight, we still do 417. It's just so much calmer and quieter and generally more manageable because it doesn't have lots of on and off ramps, multiple lanes, etc.

The first time we did do exactly that -- pulled all the way off and got back on at each toll booth. It was dark, raining, and the road was busy. And dh was driving (I'll say no more). The three times I drove it, we did hit the toll booths you are talking about. My guesstimate of $11.00 was just what I pulled out of my head.

We usually arrive around 2:00 p.m. on property, so we were hitting I-4 in the early afternoon. It was absolutely horrible. Hubby drove it twice, I drove it once and said never again.

We usually arrive around 2:00 p.m. on property, so we were hitting I-4 in the early afternoon. It was absolutely horrible. Hubby drove it twice, I drove it once and said never again.

I guess I have been lucky and the hours I am typically on I-4 were just not bad ones. The only time I recall any traffic was leaving WDW around 8 am on a weekday and hitting some morning commuter traffic. Maybe I am usually on it on weekend days and that is the difference?

Well we make our NOT QUITE 2K miles round trip drive to Orlando from Maryland in about two weeks. When all is said and done with our trip to Tampa we'll easily get in the 2K miles though.

Plans are to leave on a Thursday, and HOPEFULLY by noon but it will all depend on kids' exam schedules. Two in middle school, one in high school, so they may still need to attend on their last day to finish exams. If all goes well, we are on the road to Orlando by 1pm at the latest and the plan is to drive until we hit Florida. Our last drive to Florida in July of last year, we ended up stopping at the Comfort Suites in Jacksonville and that worked out well for our family of five. That will probably be a 12 hour drive so we'll see if we can make it there again. That would give us 2.5 hours or so the next morning to make it to our Universal Orlando Resort Friday morning. A few days later, we'll do a night or two in Tampa, then from there we drive to an area near Charlotte, NC, stay a few days with my brother and family, then drive back home to Maryland.

Hoping for a nice smooth drive for us. I know the late night driving on Thursday will be nice, but the Friday morning drive might a bit rough as we head towards Orlando. We are early morning people, but with a late night we may not get too early of a start for Friday.

Got home on Tuesday, May 31. Had a wonderful surprise when we checked in at Royal Pacific for the Universal part of the trip. We were upgraded to a club level king suite. Now, we are spoiled - breakfast in the morning, dinner at night with wine.
Plan to leave again on Wednesday - 8 days between trips! Driving home was great except for the traffic in the construction zones before and after Atlanta. Traffic backup started before Forsyth, GA. Going through Atlanta itself was no problem.

Driving from PA starting 6/10/16-taking 81-77-26-95....First time in 3 years. Are there any major travel issues I need to take into account? I always get onto I4 and am dreading it. Is this 417 and option from where I'm coming from?

Got home on Tuesday, May 31. Had a wonderful surprise when we checked in at Royal Pacific for the Universal part of the trip. We were upgraded to a club level king suite. Now, we are spoiled - breakfast in the morning, dinner at night with wine.
Plan to leave again on Wednesday - 8 days between trips! Driving home was great except for the traffic in the construction zones before and after Atlanta. Traffic backup started before Forsyth, GA. Going through Atlanta itself was no problem.

Upon completion of your next drive, you'll break your already amazing "shortest time between WDW drives" record.
[See page one for the All Time Records.]

Driving from PA starting 6/10/16-taking 81-77-26-95....First time in 3 years. Are there any major travel issues I need to take into account? I always get onto I4 and am dreading it. Is this 417 and option from where I'm coming from?

Absolutely. We drive from near Chambersburg, PA, and that is our route of choice. Definitely pick up 417 off of I-4 in the Sanford area.

I just signed up for Sunpass plus. 417 is only about ten miles longer. If there is traffic on i4 and your on and off your breaks, 417 sounds like a plan. I have always had good luck on I4 but with construction, I'm going to watch it closer and use 417 if there's any hint of trouble.
With the in-laws in Florida, looks like we will be making more trips a year. Looks like they are putting these express lanes in for Sunpass in Florida which are toll lanes. Airport parking, toll roads and toll lanes I figured I would give it a shot. It's $20 for the removable transponder and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. I'm sure it won't go to waste. I've blown $20 on a lot worse things in my life.lol

image.jpeg Storm update.... Invest 93 could be a named storm by the end of the day.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Aaaaaaaand here we go. Colin crossing at 50mph. Monday and Tuesday time frame. Florida, Georgia, south and North Carolina. Be careful on I95.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter