"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We just drove to Disney from Toronto for the first time last month after years of putting it off. I can't believe how much we loved the drive! We'll be driving down again next July. Thanks to everyone for all their advice. :thumbsup2

I have done about 50 from my to ft lauded ale since 2006 about 2400 miles round trip a few 0f those times I stopped at disney

One time in probably 1979 on the way home we stopped there at around 6 AM on a Sunday morning and ate chili for breakfast. Fortunately at the time I was still young enough to handle that!

Years later my children loved stopping at the gift shop and fireworks shop, and it made a good little 30 minute stretch and stop for them. It gave them something to look forward to, and was close to the halfway point from my area.

It also seems to me that the billboards are not what they were way back when, though that may be partially due to my aging too!

The billboards have changed over the years, they were politically incorrect.

We start our drive tomorrow, we're breaking the trip down into 3 parts: PA to NC, NC to GA, then finally GA to WDW. Whew! Due to changes in the plan, I now "get" to be the only driver. Yay?

Can't wait to get to the World on Monday.

Yeah, which end of LI. If you give me a town name near to you, I can run a simulation for you.
Sorry things have been crazy and have not checked this post. We will be leaving from the Babylon deer park area. Still looking for any help we can get. Also any recommended areas to spend the night. Thanks again

Sorry things have been crazy and have not checked this post. We will be leaving from the Babylon deer park area. Still looking for any help we can get. Also any recommended areas to spend the night. Thanks again

In general, avoid metro areas at rush hour (especially northern VA), and any well-known hotel chain will be satisfactory for a one-night stop. Gas stations in busy areas tend to be "safer" than isolated ones, particularly at night.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Let's see...2 p.m. from Babylon...
That's a tough time to leave if you are planning the I-95 route. You'll hit Baltimore right around 5:30 p.m. Now, if you decide to stop and have a leisurely dinner in Delaware, then you'll be approaching Baltimore sometime after 6:30 p.m., which might work for you, but honestly could still really stink.

The inland route would likely be a better bet leaving at that hour.

Let's see...2 p.m. from Babylon...
That's a tough time to leave if you are planning the I-95 route. You'll hit Baltimore right around 5:30 p.m. Now, if you decide to stop and have a leisurely dinner in Delaware, then you'll be approaching Baltimore sometime after 6:30 p.m., which might work for you, but honestly could still really stink.

The inland route would likely be a better bet leaving at that hour.
Ok I do not know the inland route at all, also we will be leaving at noon. Don't know if that makes things better or worse for us what do you think.

Gas prices dropped another few cents during the last 48 hours. It's not much; however, if it drops some more it will translate into a "free" food and wine kiosk purchase after a 1,000+ mile drive to WDW.

Ok I do not know the inland route at all, also we will be leaving at noon. Don't know if that makes things better or worse for us what do you think.

Yeah that would be too late to get through D.C....you need to hit D.C.
No, unfortunately, not better. Ideally, you need to be through DC by 3-3:30 p.m. to not get snarled in traffic. The inland route has some variations but this link will give you one of them: http://www.disboards.com/threads/fo...ers-only-part-v.3351891/page-82#post-56024124 I haven't taken it myself as my route is the unusual New Jersey/Cape May-Lewes Ferry/DelMarVa route.

I hope none of y'all are travelling home this weekend on I-75 through Cincinnati.

In Northern Kentucky, northbound I-75 from I-275 to the Ohio River will be down to one lane. I-275 around is a minimal option...the traffic jam will start well before I-275. There are no good alternate route. Probably the best might be to get off at the Florence Union exit (Exit 180, US 42-127), turn right, and take US 42-127 to the river. (You will pick up US 25 as well about a mile from the exit).

http://www.kyforward.com/traffic-pa...uction-project-in-kenton-county-this-weekend/

One thing. It says all work is weather dependent. And we are not expecting good weather this weekend.

Last Wednesday, gas prices were dropping at our local Wawa station; today the price jumped 4-cents a gallon to $1.95 after increasing two cents two days ago. However, Delta remains at $1.87.

On our way to Disney hope we make it. Due to the pipeline leak, gas stations in TN, GA, AL are out of gas.
we filled up in Dalton, GA from the stations last 100 gallons. Thank goodness we got an early start. 6 Other stations we stopped at were out.

On our way to Disney hope we make it. Due to the pipeline leak, gas stations in TN, GA, AL are out of gas.
we filled up in Dalton, GA from the stations last 100 gallons. Thank goodness we got an early start. 6 Other stations we stopped at were out.

Oh my!!! I thought of all you 2,000 mile+ drivers when I saw the news on the pipeline break the other day.

Wishing you success in finding gas and getting to Disney!

Made it last night. Started looking for stations as soon as the tank showed half. Avoided those stations with prices posted below 2.29 - those seemed to be the ones out. Unfortunately, the stations aren't turning off their price signs when they are out. Better not to waste gas stopping at those lower price stations. No problems once we got into FL. Just paid 1.95 in Orlando.

Made it last night. Started looking for stations as soon as the tank showed half. Avoided those stations with prices posted below 2.29 - those seemed to be the ones out. Unfortunately, the stations aren't turning off their price signs when they are out. Better not to waste gas stopping at those lower price stations. No problems once we got into FL. Just paid 1.95 in Orlando.

Thanks for the update. One radio news report yesterday mentioned some problems in northern Florida that would continue until the end of the month.

Yeah that would be too late to get through D.C....you need to hit D.C.

No, unfortunately, not better. Ideally, you need to be through DC by 3-3:30 p.m. to not get snarled in traffic. The inland route has some variations but this link will give you one of them: http://www.disboards.com/threads/fo...ers-only-part-v.3351891/page-82#post-56024124 I haven't taken it myself as my route is the unusual New Jersey/Cape May-Lewes Ferry/DelMarVa route.
I tried but I can not get out of the noon departure :( we are giving the inland route some serious thought. Next thing is to figure out where to spend the night we would like to drive between 10-12 hours the first day. Does anybody have some places they recommend staying. I don't know how far we will get in that time on the inland route if that's what we decide. Trip is 35 days away and I feel like I should have more of a plan then I do at this point. Again thanks for everything.

dvczerfs just completed his 63rd round-trip (PA-WDW). See page 1, post no. 1 for all-time records info.

Will be attempting our first road trip this April break with wife, 9,6,2 year old. Leaving from Clifton Park, NY and using suggested route from our iPhone. Wife doesn't like the highways so i'll be doing a solo drive, and considering leaving at 4am and hoping to arrive at midnight, or breaking it up with a 16 hour trip first day and the last 4 hours the second day. Would appreciate thoughts or pointers related to ANYTHING on the road trip. How to plan around potty breaks, gas stops, how to keep the kids sane etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter