"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

It may be a bit longer but every time we have driven through Atlanta (except when we went through at midnight) we have been stopped dead in our tracks multiple times for at least an hour which felt like a lot longer than that. So, I think it was just about a wash and we kept moving.
I don’t know how google calculates time but. I know when I use to drive back and forth, my main go to route always said it was an hour longer than my secondary option.
I fell for it a few times and crawled my way to Florida going their fastest route . I always seemed to beat my secondary, googles “fastest” way by three hours going the longer way. Lol
Google is a good tool to give you an idea but it sure isn’t to realistic when it comes to actual driving.
But, I’ll drive 20 miles out of my way so I don’t have to sit in traffic. Lol

We are leaving Thursday night around 6:00 for drive # ?? I’ve lost track. We do drive down once a year and I think started in 2012 ??
My youngest DS and his gf are coming too. I’m so excited about this trip!! She has NEVER been to Florida nevermind Disney!!!
It’ll be a jam packed week to say the least.

Dave- I would’ve loved to meet up but don’t think we’ll have time this trip. We’ll be back over the summer.

We are leaving Friday night around 6:00 for drive # ?? I’ve lost track. We do drive down once a year and I think started in 2012 ??
My youngest DS and his gf are coming too. I’m so excited about this trip!! She has NEVER been to Florida nevermind Disney!!!

Dave- I would’ve loved to meet up but don’t think we’ll have time this trip. We’ll be back over the summer.

A few years ago, I found a great website that was suggested on this site. It was a listing by state and told you how long the drive would be through that state and how long of a drive it would be to get to Orlando. It also showed what facilities was at each exit, like hotels, gas stations, target, etc. It also shows the where the rest areas are located.

I have searched through this site, but I can't find it. I hope someone can direct me to this site. It was very helpful, especially looking for rest stops.

A few years ago, I found a great website that was suggested on this site. It was a listing by state and told you how long the drive would be through that state and how long of a drive it would be to get to Orlando. It also showed what facilities was at each exit, like hotels, gas stations, target, etc. It also shows the where the rest areas are located.

I have searched through this site, but I can't find it. I hope someone can direct me to this site. It was very helpful, especially looking for rest stops.
Back in the day there was a book that I LOVED called “Drive I-95”. I believe with the advent of the web they now have a website with the same name

Back in the day there was a book that I LOVED called “Drive I-95”. I believe with the advent of the web they now have a website with the same name

I loved that book! I still take the last edition with us when we drive to Disney just to follow the maps for fun.

I use the iExit app. Not sure if they have a website, too.

Can't believe this is on part 5 already! We've had to cancel our trip this fall but hopefully will be driving down in Aug. We might combine it with looking at colleges on the way down and back.
Great idea. Enjoy the time with your student. We made some good memories even though it is a stressful experience.

You are probably thinking of an I-95 guide. Don't know if that is still available, but if you have an iPhone/iPad check out the iExit app. It follows your progress on the road and shows upcoming exits/rest areas. For each exit it lists food/gas/lodging options and how far off the highway they are. It also shows gas prices.

However, it's best to have a navigator use this rather than trying to drive at the same time.

You are probably thinking of an I-95 guide. Don't know if that is still available, but if you have an iPhone/iPad check out the iExit app. It follows your progress on the road and shows upcoming exits/rest areas. For each exit it lists food/gas/lodging options and how far off the highway they are. It also shows gas prices.

However, it's best to have a navigator use this rather than trying to drive at the same time.
Thanks, that's my duty to be the navigator. My husband is the driver.

I don’t know how google calculates time but. I know when I use to drive back and forth, my main go to route always said it was an hour longer than my secondary option.
I fell for it a few times and crawled my way to Florida going their fastest route . I always seemed to beat my secondary, googles “fastest” way by three hours going the longer way. Lol
Google is a good tool to give you an idea but it sure isn’t to realistic when it comes to actual driving.
But, I’ll drive 20 miles out of my way so I don’t have to sit in traffic. Lol
Google Maps definitely underestimates how long it takes to get through heavy traffic. If it lists a 10 minute delay, it will probably be 15.

After driving for the first time in Sept 2022, we are crazy enough to do it again in a few weeks.
I'm a bit nervous this time as on the last trip, we alternated driving/sleep. We made it from Philly to Disney in 15 hours (we didn't mess around on being quick with our bathroom breaks lol)
But this time, my fiancé is doing all the driving since we are taking his vehicle this time. (he drives stick, I do not!)
He did take off the day we leave so he can sleep all day and we plan to drive overnight after I get off work. I'm really hoping he can manage the drive all by himself.
I think as long as he can manage to get to sleep & stay asleep during the day, we will be okay.

We are leaving Thursday night around 6:00 for drive # ?? I’ve lost track. We do drive down once a year and I think started in 2012 ??

I’ll be here. Lol.
Im at Creations and Club Cool. Im part time so I’m not always at work. Lol
Retirement is great! But I do work late afternoons into the evenings.
Hope you had a good time!

After driving for the first time in Sept 2022, we are crazy enough to do it again in a few weeks.
I'm a bit nervous this time as on the last trip, we alternated driving/sleep. We made it from Philly to Disney in 15 hours (we didn't mess around on being quick with our bathroom breaks lol)
But this time, my fiancé is doing all the driving since we are taking his vehicle this time. (he drives stick, I do not!)
He did take off the day we leave so he can sleep all day and we plan to drive overnight after I get off work. I'm really hoping he can manage the drive all by himself.
I think as long as he can manage to get to sleep & stay asleep during the day, we will be okay.
Be careful. I drove from Hilton Head Island to Iowa once and it was 16 hours. The last couple hours were kind of dangerous.

There’s a reason truckers have to stop and rest after ~14 hours or whatever it is, but a 15-16 hour day is definitely doable.

Having done this a number of different ways, I think doing it overnight after sleeping during the day can avoid the danger that comes with leaving early and trying to push to the finish line after dark…
That being said I know it wouldn’t be the best option for me personally.

Some people (again, me) are affected by nighttime more than others. Even taking a 4hr snooze at a rest stop overnight and then hitting the road again before dawn can be the recharge needed to safely finish the trip. Probably wouldn’t change arrival time by much but would be the more cautious approach.

Please be very careful with him doing all the driving *and* driving during the night. Even though he has taken the day off, if he's not used to sleeping during the day he most likely won't get any extra sleep before needing to start the drive. And if you've been working all day, you most likely won't be able to stay awake to help keep him alert all night. And what's going to happen the next day when you arrive? Is he going to be so exhausted that he's just going to want to sleep all day...thus throwing off his wake/sleep schedule for the next day as well? If you manage to stay awake all night to keep him alert, you'll both need to sleep when you arrive. I know a lot of people do the overnight drive, but it can be a dangerous one if the driver isn't used to being awake and alert during the night. My son and his girlfriend did the all-night drive one year and they were exhausted when they arrived after a 16 hour drive. They ended up sleeping most of their arrival day which negated any advantage they thought they were going to have by driving all night. They said they'll never do that again. Now they drive 5 or 6 hours at night (usually until about midnight or so); get an inexpensive hotel and sleep for 5-6 hours; get up and finish the drive. They arrive late in the afternoon but at least they're rested and have the energy to drop their bags in their room and head straight to a park.

I've read other stories over the years of people thinking they're saving time by driving all night but end up so exhausted when they arrive that they end up losing a day anyway. To be fair, I also see people saying it works fine for them. Just playing devil's advocate/mom here. :D The last thing you want to do is *start* your Disney vacation exhausted.

Please be very careful with him doing all the driving *and* driving during the night. Even though he has taken the day off, if he's not used to sleeping during the day he most likely won't get any extra sleep before needing to start the drive. And if you've been working all day, you most likely won't be able to stay awake to help keep him alert all night. And what's going to happen the next day when you arrive? Is he going to be so exhausted that he's just going to want to sleep all day...thus throwing off his wake/sleep schedule for the next day as well? If you manage to stay awake all night to keep him alert, you'll both need to sleep when you arrive. I know a lot of people do the overnight drive, but it can be a dangerous one if the driver isn't used to being awake and alert during the night. My son and his girlfriend did the all-night drive one year and they were exhausted when they arrived after a 16 hour drive. They ended up sleeping most of their arrival day which negated any advantage they thought they were going to have by driving all night. They said they'll never do that again. Now they drive 5 or 6 hours at night (usually until about midnight or so); get an inexpensive hotel and sleep for 5-6 hours; get up and finish the drive. They arrive late in the afternoon but at least they're rested and have the energy to drop their bags in their room and head straight to a park.

I've read other stories over the years of people thinking they're saving time by driving all night but end up so exhausted when they arrive that they end up losing a day anyway. To be fair, I also see people saying it works fine for them. Just playing devil's advocate/mom here. :D The last thing you want to do is *start* your Disney vacation exhausted.
I drove the 17 hours straight through a few times by myself. I would hit the Florida state line at 3am and miss all the traffic heading into central Florida.
BUT, at the time I was in outside sales and spent 30 years behind the wheel.
Im also not your average person. Lol
Now, I have a hard time driving to Sanford airport and back.lol
I wouldn’t recommend doing it. It takes a split second for eye lids to close and it’s all over.
Also in the south, the roads are smooth, straight and wide. Unlike up north where the potholes keep you awake. It’s real easy to get hypnotized by the white lines in the middle of the road flashing by you.
leave early in the morning 2-3 am. Drive till 3-4pm and get a room. Pack a cooler and bring dinner with you. You will be ready to sleep right after you eat. Sleep seven hours and hit the road around 2pm. You’ll fly right into Orlando with very little traffic.

Our first day is indeed a rest day for that reason lol. We did the same on our last trip, and that worked out great.
I need a nap after going to the grocery store lol so we'll definitely need one once we arrive.
My plan is to have him pull over if he gets tired.
He does work til midnight most days, so I'm optimistic he'll be able to stay up. But if not we'll definitely pull over. Safety first.

This weekend I’m planning my next drive!! Later this summer I’ll be driving to Sanford airport to catch a flight back north for a few days to visit some family and friends. Lol. ( sorry, I’m way out of practice and have gotten use to the Florida, retired life.). I’ll be renting a car though when I get there. By the time I fly out it will be almost two years that I have been up north. I moved to Florida for a reason. Lol
I do miss the family and friends but, it’s only a two hour flight. I wanted to go earlier but with starting the new job and everything going on, just didn’t have time. Looking at somewhere between end of July to Labor Day. After that, it gets way too cold, grey and dead up there for me. I need blue, green and palm trees. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter