• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although mentioned before, one of the enjoyable aspects for those who drive to WDW via I-95 and I-4 is the lineup of descending highway mile markers. Drivers can estimate their time to the next state border and increase their anticipation for exit #67 on I-4!

So we made it back home last night.
We left Clermont Monday morning around 6am, spent the night in Roanoke, VA (Country Inn and Suites, very nice big suite for 6, with breakfast) and arrived home in Montreal (close, it's a suburb) around 9pm.

While we went down I-95 all the way because we traveled during a weekend, we went the 26-77-81-88 way coming home because we wanted to avoid traffic around DC and NYC since it was during the week this time. This worked out perfectly. We never had any problem with traffic or road work. My youngest son (2) had a bit of a hard time with ear pressure while going through the mountains and I have to say that the scenery made absolutely no difference to me so I can't say that I'm really partial to one or the other itinerary. I guess we'll continue to choose depending on what day we travel.

Because yes, we will probably do this again :woohoo:
We have a cruise booked in December and we are seriously considering getting there by car now ;)

It's so much more affordable that 6 plane tickets and a rental minivan... :eek:

All in all, a very nice experience. Tiring, but still nice.

Thanks to everyone on the Transportation board! Your comments and suggestions were precious and helped to make our trip a success!:cloud9:

Hi - we're going to try the 81-77-26 route in June. Can you explain the mountain driving a bit more? You said your son didn't like the pressure changes - is it driving on the edge of mountains, like you can't see anything on the side of the road? Like if you turn the wheel the wrong way, you're plummeting hundreds of feet? :scared1: Or is it driving through the center of mountains, like in PA, where they dymanited tunnels but you go up and down?

We once drove up the mountains in Arizona from the Prescott Valley, and I didn't think I would survive the terror. I don't want to find out that this route is the same and have to go through that again.

Thanks from a big chicken - I think I have an official phobia after driving in Arizona.

My SIL left central NJ today for WDW. She left at 8:30 am!!? :scared1: About 5 hours later than we usually leave. I don't know I like those early morning hours to make a big dent in the driving while the kiddies are still sleeping. It's 5 hours less of Are we there yet?!

Hi - we're going to try the 81-77-26 route in June. Can you explain the mountain driving a bit more? You said your son didn't like the pressure changes - is it driving on the edge of mountains, like you can't see anything on the side of the road? Like if you turn the wheel the wrong way, you're plummeting hundreds of feet? :scared1: Or is it driving through the center of mountains, like in PA, where they dymanited tunnels but you go up and down?

We once drove up the mountains in Arizona from the Prescott Valley, and I didn't think I would survive the terror. I don't want to find out that this route is the same and have to go through that again.

Thanks from a big chicken - I think I have an official phobia after driving in Arizona.

sharadoc, basicly theres only one part that if you look to your left you can see for miles but, your not cliff hanging, theres room. i hate hiegths myself and you are far enough back. the rest in a very nice ride thru gaps etc... google earth you can follow the highway via satelite view. :thumbsup2

sharadoc, basicly theres only one part that if you look to your left you can see for miles but, your not cliff hanging, theres room. i hate hiegths myself and you are far enough back. the rest in a very nice ride thru gaps etc... google earth you can follow the highway via satelite view. :thumbsup2

Okay, that makes it better. I can take it if it's only a little bit of time, especially if there's at least a shoulder. In Arizona, the guardrail was right next to the road, so you literally had about 24 inches between you and the air.

Is it any better or worse going north? I went through Google and the satellite view and it looks pretty good southbound.

Okay, that makes it better. I can take it if it's only a little bit of time, especially if there's at least a shoulder. In Arizona, the guardrail was right next to the road, so you literally had about 24 inches between you and the air.

Is it any better or worse going north? I went through Google and the satellite view and it looks pretty good southbound.

It's a beautiful drive with some beautiful views and it is not hair-raising at all. You will enjoy it.

north isnt bad at all. theres room and the highway is wide. not like around here. :thumbsup2

As others have said, it doesn't look dangerous at all. I think the little one must have sensitive inner ears and he didn't like the pressure, especially when he was trying to sleep.
I have to say that we drove the last part of the 77 at night (well, it was early evening but still pitch black out there!) and it did feel scary because it was so dark and there were so many trucks. But I guess almost anything would have felt that way after over 12 hours in the car... :laughing::laughing:

Happy trails!

Tanooki: Quite an impressive drive...from Canada to WDW (not to be confused with Canada at EPCOT to the Magic Kingdom). And back! :thumbsup2

It's a beautiful drive with some beautiful views and it is not hair-raising at all. You will enjoy it.

north isnt bad at all. theres room and the highway is wide. not like around here. :thumbsup2

As others have said, it doesn't look dangerous at all. I think the little one must have sensitive inner ears and he didn't like the pressure, especially when he was trying to sleep.
I have to say that we drove the last part of the 77 at night (well, it was early evening but still pitch black out there!) and it did feel scary because it was so dark and there were so many trucks. But I guess almost anything would have felt that way after over 12 hours in the car... :laughing::laughing:

Happy trails!

Thanks you guys! :thumbsup2 Now I'm totally on board with it. I can start figuring out exactly where we'll stay, eat, etc.

I love this thread! :grouphug:

In under a month I will be making my trek down to WDW. I will be the only driver, and have 3 girls ages 12, 14, and 16 with me in the car. I usually go 79-19-77-26-95 etc... but I am getting bored with that route. I am looking for any ideas of alternate routes that that are visually pleasing and just different. I don't mind if I drive a couple extra hours, I am going to take at least 2 days to drive down. Oh, leaving from Niagara Falls, NY. I look forward to any ideas you may have for me! Thanks in advance!

ETA: I think I'll make a thread about this :)

we are just south of you and going down I75 through ohio, kentucky, tennessee, georgia. stopping for a day in Atlanta and going to the Coke museum there. a little different than your route. I think its a few hours longer but a different view of scenery on the way down

Tanooki: Quite an impressive drive...from Canada to WDW (not to be confused with Canada at EPCOT to the Magic Kingdom). And back! :thumbsup2

Thank you :)

We liked it so much that we will probably do this again. After all, when you factor in the cost of 6 plane tickets and a rental minivan, we can drive there 3 times for the price of one... :cool1:
And I just LOVED the fact that I could pack whatever I wanted, no matter the weight, and I could put it wherever I wanted, even LIQUIDS over 100ml!:lmao:
Definitely worth the drive! :thumbsup2

Thank you :)

We liked it so much that we will probably do this again. After all, when you factor in the cost of 6 plane tickets and a rental minivan, we can drive there 3 times for the price of one... :cool1:
And I just LOVED the fact that I could pack whatever I wanted, no matter the weight, and I could put it wherever I wanted, even LIQUIDS over 100ml!:lmao:
Definitely worth the drive! :thumbsup2

After four days of rain and wind (with a morning of thunder and lightning) we look forward to the sun in our backyard. Our entire region has been devastated by the storm. We wish some generous benefactor would send everyone who suffered to WDW.

Although this question has been addressed many times before, we would like a March 2010 update:

If someone was driving south via I-95 towards WDW on a Friday morning, the vehicle should cross the Wilson Bridge at Washington DC no later than what time in order to avoid rush hour traffic? :confused3

Help!

Although this question has been addressed many times before, we would like a March 2010 update:

If someone was driving south via I-95 towards WDW on a Friday morning, the vehicle should cross the Wilson Bridge at Washington DC no later than what time in order to avoid rush hour traffic? :confused3

Help!

AM Rush Hour in our area begins around 6am and ends sometime after 10am ... but can still be "full" at 11am.

PM Rush Hour begins around 3pm but really gets started at 4pm and goes until 7pm.

So your AM window is 10am - 3pm and your evening window is 7pm - 6am.

Of course, this is a generality and parades, football games, concerts, traffic accidents, Federal Holidays, etc will impact it.

HTH!:goodvibes

AM Rush Hour in our area begins around 6am and ends sometime after 10am ... but can still be "full" at 11am.

PM Rush Hour begins around 3pm but really gets started at 4pm and goes until 7pm.

Of course, this is a generality and parades, football games, concerts, traffic accidents, Federal Holidays, etc will impact it.

Stupid question but how bad is it on Sundays? Do you know if there are any times to avoid?

Thanks, Marshay, for the updated clarification on DC area rush hour traffic on a Friday. Our a.m. "window," however, is different: our drive to the Wilson Bridge will occur prior to heavy traffic time. Early, early morning has always been our preferred time of departure. We'll see, though. Still, thank you for your timely reply. :thumbsup2

Stupid question but how bad is it on Sundays? Do you know if there are any times to avoid?

Sundays are obviously better than the weekdays. You will get some traffic on Sunday afternoons in summer from people coming back from their weekend at the beach. But in general I found Sundays before 3pm to be fine. I'm not sure when you are going, but if during football season, you want to avoid the area around the stadium where the Redskins play at gametime.

We just went the beltway on a Sunday at 3pm - 4pm and it was moving nicely (50-60 mph).

So in general you should be fine on a Sunday.

Thanks, Marshay, for the updated clarification on DC area rush hour traffic on a Friday. Our a.m. "window," however, is different: our drive to the Wilson Bridge will occur prior to heavy traffic time. Early, early morning has always been our preferred time of departure. We'll see, though. Still, thank you for your timely reply. :thumbsup2

Oh good! If you can get to the Wilson Bridge before 6am you shouldn't have a problem at all!

Wave to me when you go by!:lmao:

Sundays are obviously better than the weekdays. You will get some traffic on Sunday afternoons in summer from people coming back from their weekend at the beach. But in general I found Sundays before 3pm to be fine. I'm not sure when you are going, but if during football season, you want to avoid the area around the stadium where the Redskins play at gametime.

We just went the beltway on a Sunday at 3pm - 4pm and it was moving nicely (50-60 mph).

So in general you should be fine on a Sunday.

Oh good! If you can get to the Wilson Bridge before 6am you shouldn't have a problem at all!

Wave to me when you go by!:lmao:

So, do you think we'd be safe driving on 95 through Virginia on Sunday June 27 around Noon to 2:00 (South to North)?? We're trying to decide if we should do the 26-77-81 route going home, or 95 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter