For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In about an hour we begin our drive back home. VA is our goal by tonight.

All the best to all on the roads and highways!

you should be fine. 250 miles, its not even dirty yet. :lmao: how long of a drive do you have?

It is about 1250 each way. lol now that i think about it, it is pretty silly. I need to get over my inherent mistrust of people. If something goes wrong with the car, I have AAA :)

We are leaving in 10 days can't wait!! We are taking I79 to I64 and connecting with I75 in Lexington. Will let everyone know how traffic is around Atlanta and the rest of 75 on here.

Hi all, we need help! We are doing our very first road trip to WDW and are leaving May 21! Flights for the five of us were just too much, so a road trip is on order and now we can stop at his brothers in Jax on the way back.

We live in the South Bend Indiana area, can anyone suggest the best route down to Orlando? Also a hotel halfway? We will be traveling with our 3 kids, ages 6, 3 and 6 months...

Hi all, we need help! We are doing our very first road trip to WDW and are leaving May 21! Flights for the five of us were just too much, so a road trip is on order and now we can stop at his brothers in Jax on the way back.

We live in the South Bend Indiana area, can anyone suggest the best route down to Orlando? Also a hotel halfway? We will be traveling with our 3 kids, ages 6, 3 and 6 months...

I would suggest 65 to Nashville, 24 to Chattanooga and 75 through Georgia then onto the Florida Turnpike into Atlanta. Google Maps will provide good turn by turn directions. (or AAA.com if you are a member)

As for hotels, we typically try to use Hampton Inn & Suites (typical cost is 75-100 per night) because they give a bit more space. I would also suggest bringing your own Pack-n-Play for the little one. That way your not waiting for one to be pulled out of storage when you arrive at the hotel. I also know that a number of people have had good luck with Microtels for a bit less a night.

Good luck on the drive. We just did this from Chicago in November and our girls were great passengers. Just remember to have something to entertain them for the 20+ hours of driving each way.

I would suggest 65 to Nashville, 24 to Chattanooga and 75 through Georgia then onto the Florida Turnpike into Atlanta. Google Maps will provide good turn by turn directions. (or AAA.com if you are a member)

I'd second that thought Katiesmommie...Hi neighbor, we're 20 minutes north of you...Those directions are the most direct. You could also go Indy-Cincinnatti-Chattanooga-Atlanta-WDW. That route is only about 30 minutes longer. You might want to look at what time you are scheduled to be in each big city. If you are set to be going through at rush hour, it may pay to go the other route.

I can't say anything about hotels though. I prefer the drive straight through with my family of five. We do as much driving as possible at night. The thought of driving nearly 20 hours with kids awake the entire time is enough to make me cancel the trip. With luck, we'll only have kids awake for eight hours.:banana:

Too funny we leave for our trip the same day as you from Northwestern IL. It is only myself driving so I like to try to make it to the Macon area and then we found a good hotel on the bypass exit 9 has a Sleep Inn. They have coupons in the hotel coupon books you find at the rest areas so it costs around $49 a night and the rooms were new last year so really nice.

Have a safe trip.

Ang

We did this drive last August from Philly to Disney and we will be doing it again in May. My question: does anyone know a good diner to have breakfast at in GA? We stopped last year at the Waffle House and well we didnt like it to say the least. Figured this year I would ask anyone who has done this drive this question. Not looking for fancy just someplace good. We should be hitting Kingston (i think that is the name) around 11AM so something 4-6 hours before that would be great!
Thanks

We departed WDW at 9:39 a.m. (80 miles of driving while there).

We crossed into GA at 12:53 p.m. (stop and go traffic for about 15 miles starting at mile marker 30: three lanes into two).

We crossed into SC at 2:48 p.m; NC at 5:56 p.m.; and VA at 9:45 p.m.

743 miles today with a stayover in Petersburg, VA.

What a difference a day makes: dined last evening at V&A; today at the same time: sandwiches on the road from Subways!:rolleyes1

Highest price gas: $2.78 in SC.

All the best.

KATIESMOMMY- Do yourself a favor and go father than half way the first day, make it to at least Macon.. we live in the Chicago area and normally make it to Lake City..

As for hotels, we typically try to use Hampton Inn & Suites (typical cost is 75-100 per night) because they give a bit more space. I would also suggest bringing your own Pack-n-Play for the little one. That way your not waiting for one to be pulled out of storage when you arrive at the hotel. I also know that a number of people have had good luck with Microtels for a bit less a night.

Good luck on the drive. We just did this from Chicago in November and our girls were great passengers. Just remember to have something to entertain them for the 20+ hours of driving each way.

Thanks so much, hadnt thought about bringing the pack and play. That was the route I always took when we drove semi-truck, but that has been over 10 yrs ago now..

I'd second that thought Katiesmommie...Hi neighbor, we're 20 minutes north of you...Those directions are the most direct. You could also go Indy-Cincinnatti-Chattanooga-Atlanta-WDW. That route is only about 30 minutes longer. You might want to look at what time you are scheduled to be in each big city. If you are set to be going through at rush hour, it may pay to go the other route.

I can't say anything about hotels though. I prefer the drive straight through with my family of five. We do as much driving as possible at night. The thought of driving nearly 20 hours with kids awake the entire time is enough to make me cancel the trip. With luck, we'll only have kids awake for eight hours.:banana:
We would like to try and drive straight through, but the lil one might be the biggest issue. We are going to leave at 3pm that Friday, stop in Louisville and eat and then hopefully they will sleep through to morning. If not, we will stop, I just would like to be on the south side of Atlanta before I do...

Too funny we leave for our trip the same day as you from Northwestern IL. It is only myself driving so I like to try to make it to the Macon area and then we found a good hotel on the bypass exit 9 has a Sleep Inn. They have coupons in the hotel coupon books you find at the rest areas so it costs around $49 a night and the rooms were new last year so really nice.

Have a safe trip.

Ang

Thanks so much for the info!!! Maybe we will run into each other on the way down! We are staying off property for the first time though...Bonnet Creek.

KATIESMOMMY- Do yourself a favor and go father than half way the first day, make it to at least Macon.. we live in the Chicago area and normally make it to Lake City..

ty for the help!!

I'm joining in here too....just cancelled our airline tickets and we are going to drive from Northern Illinois.

We will leave Thurs June 3rd,but we haven't decided what time (evening or early Fri morning). Illinois is such a boring drive that I would rather do that when it's dark. Plus I have to time it so that we won't be hitting Atlanta at rush hour, which is a pain.

My kids are 8,7, and 22 months, so we will be taking several potty breaks along the way, and the little guy will need to run around and stretch his legs.

I'm enjoying all the tips on this thread as I start to plan our drive!

We will leave Thurs June 3rd,but we haven't decided what time (evening or early Fri morning). Illinois is such a boring drive that I would rather do that when it's dark. Plus I have to time it so that we won't be hitting Atlanta at rush hour, which is a pain.

Coming from Kankakee County, we are leaving the same time as you, going to try to be out of the house by 2:00AM June 4, to Paducah by 6:30 for breakfast, into Georgia by noon (1 EST) and thru Atlanta before rush hour... will stop for the night in Lake City..

*KatiesMommy* Be careful with your timing when I drove down in '08 from St. Louis, MO. I had planned on leaving at 7am, as it turned out I did not get on the rode untill 8am. I hit Atlanta at 6:30pm , the tail end of rush hour. Had I left on time it I would have been in the middle of it and from the little bit I did see, Boy I'm glad I missed it!

Looks like I'm gonna drive it again. The prices just jumped another $30, so now roundtrip nonstop is $331, an Atlanta layover is $260. If I drive I can do it for between $185 & $250.

We departed WDW at 9:39 a.m. (80 miles of driving while there).

We crossed into GA at 12:53 p.m. (stop and go traffic for about 15 miles starting at mile marker 30: three lanes into two).

We crossed into SC at 2:48 p.m; NC at 5:56 p.m.; and VA at 9:45 p.m.

743 miles today with a stayover in Petersburg, VA.

What a difference a day makes: dined last evening at V&A; today at the same time: sandwiches on the road from Subways!:rolleyes1

Highest price gas: $2.78 in SC.

All the best.

Departed Petersburg, VA at 9:35 a.m.
Crossed into MD at 11:41 a.m. (traffic somewhat heavy but averaging 60 mph)
Crossed into DE at 1:43 p.m.; NJ at 2 p.m.; home at the Jersey Shore at 3:50 p.m.

Total round-trip miles (including miles at WDW): 2,247.

All the best.

When airfare is cheap, what we like to do is fly DW and the kids one way, I take off early - visit some customers on the way driving 300-500 miles per day, then I pick them up in Orlando, have our vacation and they ride back with me. It worked well last year, this year - our trip starts Wednesday before thanksgiving so I am doubting cheap airfare will be found. (airtran has flights Sunday before thanksgiving for $79 but they really need to leave Wednesday)

I am in awe of those of you that can drive it straight through - Once in college I did the drive all night deal for Spring Break, it messed me up for two days...not sure I could do that now but thinking about leaving at 3AM, get a real long day in and hopefully the second day can be shorter...If that doesn't work well on the way there with the family, might consider the all nighter for the trip home.

Coming from Kankakee County, we are leaving the same time as you, going to try to be out of the house by 2:00AM June 4, to Paducah by 6:30 for breakfast, into Georgia by noon (1 EST) and thru Atlanta before rush hour... will stop for the night in Lake City..

We may see you on the road then, depending on what time we actually end up leaving!

We did this drive last August from Philly to Disney and we will be doing it again in May. My question: does anyone know a good diner to have breakfast at in GA? We stopped last year at the Waffle House and well we didnt like it to say the least. Figured this year I would ask anyone who has done this drive this question. Not looking for fancy just someplace good. We should be hitting Kingston (i think that is the name) around 11AM so something 4-6 hours before that would be great!
Thanks

chellewashere, if we stop to eat which isnt to often but if we do, we tend to hit a cracker barrel. theres one at just about every exit, price is not bad and youll get a good meal.:thumbsup2

I posted this on the other driving thread also
We are leaving Friday April 16th around 5pm from central Mass. I was thinking of driving through NYC by way of the BQE - Varrenzanno Narrows bridge back to the NJTP. I have traveled on that road before for business and there are some impressive views of Lower Manhattan and the statue of Liberty. I know my way around so I'm not afraid of getting lost my only concern is traffic. We should be there between 8 and 9pm on a friday night. I think the kids would get a big kick out of seeing the city at night and seeing lady liberty but I dont want to do it if it's going to add hours to our trip. Anyone ever do this -- any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter