• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For all you southerners

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
Just curious if we need sunscreen for WDW in December? We are a pale family from the far north so curious how Florida is during the winter months?

It can vary widely. But if you are that light skinned I would recommend taking it. We have been there in early December where the temps varied from the highs of 78 to 32 in five days. Given this years weather pattern I would say you should be on the warm to hot side.

You should be wearing SPF no matter where you live, so yes you would need sunscreen of some kind at WDW in December.

We have done WDW trips in December many times. I'm very fair and didn't wear sunscreen. I get that the literature says you should, but I haven't found one yet that doesn't irritate my eyes. And even on my week long, full days in the parks trips, I never even had a slight bit of skin color change. No tan lines, nothing. And I burn very easily.

YMMV.

Yes. Use lots of sunscreen. I am a Southerner and I still use it at WDW (and often at home too). That Florida Sun is no joke.

Practically and anecdotally speaking, my family was there in November and while we didn't wear sunscreen in the parks, we did put it on when we went to BB for the day and the sun was very hot. Without it in the parks, none of us even got the slightest bit pink. However, I *was* glad I wore it at BB.

We are from NH, so our skin would be very pale being all covered up till a Dec. trip. We always use sunscreen when we travel down there. My sisters live in Florida and one will mention how she was out in Oct and Nov. with just shorts and tee shirts on. We northerners don't get any of that base build up like they do. Bring it because the last thing you want during vacation is someone cranky because of a sunburn.

I understand the importance of spf on a daily basis but I admit I don't wear it. I have very fair skin and freckles and burn within 10 minutes of being in the sun. This past January I did not wear sunscreen once and I didn't burn at all. I brought it just in case and wore it previous trips that I took in May and September. I'm not sure why I didn't burn in January but I was in parks 9-10 days and the temperature was anywhere between 50 and 75 and not so much as rosy cheeks.

As others have said, yes. We live very close to the parks and the sun is strong during all the months of the year.

My son got sunburned in January watching his sister dance in Disney Springs. The one time I forgot to remind him to put it on. So that's a yes from this ultra pale family.

Yes, you should.

I live in Alabama. And whenever we are out in the sun we wear sunscreen.

We do this at Disney and at home.

Just curious if we need sunscreen for WDW in December? We are a pale family from the far north so curious how Florida is during the winter months?

Yes!! I'm deep south, but the FL sun feels even hotter! I don't use it during the winter unless I'll be out for several hours - like at Disney!

We have done WDW trips in December many times. I'm very fair and didn't wear sunscreen. I get that the literature says you should, but I haven't found one yet that doesn't irritate my eyes. And even on my week long, full days in the parks trips, I never even had a slight bit of skin color change. No tan lines, nothing. And I burn very easily.

YMMV.
Same for me WRT irritation. Try the Clinique and Neutrogena sticks and see if either one works for you. I'm thrilled to have finally found two I can tolerate!! Try the Neutrogena first--it's cheaper!

You should..however I don't think I've ever work sunscreen at Disney no matter the month

I use it all the time ( I put more on every 2 to 3 hours) and I still get a little sun. I have a friend that as long as she has a hat on she is fine. but when in dought but it on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter