? for camera experts

julfre

Mouseketeer
On my past trips, I have brought just cheap disposable cameras and have gotten some good photos during the day, but fireworks and nighttime photos were nto good at all. I am staying at the AKL and keep reading great things about the animals at night and would like to get some good pictures of them in the low light

I am considering buying a digital camera. Does anyone have any recommendations for digital cameras that would take good day and evening photos? Or cameras that I should avoid? Price-wise, I of course want to spend as little as possible, but $300 would be top of my range. I'd much rather spend about $100, but haven't seen much in that range that looks good.

Any advice on what to look for would be appreciated.

I think that just about all of the cameras that are closer to $300 would be fine. There are some very inexpensive 1 megapixel cameras (I think most are under $100) that only offer 100 ISO film speed, which isn't enough.

The reason you're not getting good pictures with your disposible camera is that the film speed is too slow. 100 is only for outside, no movement shots. As you go higher, you can start using the flash and taking faster moving shots. 400 speed is good for everything except for those nighttime shots where you can't use the flash (since the flash only illuminates somewhere around 7-15 feet in front of you, I'm sure someone else knows more specifically).

So, what you need is a good digital camera or a film camera that accepts 800 speed film. IMHO, the digital camera is the right choice. With the digital cameras, you may not need to specify that you're taking the equivilent of an 800 speed shot. Most will automatically adjust to what's necessary based on where you are. Just make sure that the one you choose is full-featured and isn't limited to just the slow speeds.

Does that make sense? :)

I would be suprised if you can get a good digital for that price. I would go for a mid range 35mm. The best way to get good fireworks shots is to use a high speed film (800) and turn off the flash. Like Kermit says they only illuminate a few feet in front of you and light up the foreground so you will not be able to see the fireworks clearly. For the money you want to spend you can get a nice 35 mm compact. That would be my vote. I work in a local camera store. I am very partial to the Pentax Espio 135. This camera has a great zoom and a panoramic option. I would price it in you area. It runs $220 Canadian dollars around here.

you can get a nice digital for 250 to 300 but first learn some of the terms. I wrote an peice over at Deb's Http://wdwig.com/digital.htm it is an introduction to digital cameras for WDW.

Feel free to PM after reading it with questions or post them over on the CB

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Zurg- that is a great link. I've only gotten through half of it so far, but I may actually know what I need the next time I go camera shopping. Pretty Cool!

My pleasure. Feel free to PM any questions

I have a 35 mm Canon camera and when I went to buy my film they said it was best to use 400 ASP for most of my photos even for night time shots of the parades. Should I now get a different film??

Thanks in advance

What kind of camera? Point & Shoot?

Faster film isn't typicaly needed outside in sun light. So on the average WDW trip I don't us fast film.

Trying to stop action in sports, where things are going quick, faster film can help keep the shutter speed up.

Point and shoot cameras typicaly don't let in as much light as advanced consumer and pro cameras. Indirect sun light it isn't a big deal but in the evening or inside with a flash 400 film helps a little.

Check out these two sites. I think the tips there can make more differance in the quality than film speed:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/pictureTaking/top10/10TipsMain.shtml
http://wdwig.com/photog.htm

Hya Zurg

Its a Canon Sure Shot 105 zoom (if that makes any sense to you) I was just hoping to take some decent shots of the parades at night. I will check out that website. Thanks for your help.

ttfn

I have a Minolta Dimage X ... which is great for size ... but it doesn't have too many manual controls. It also doesn't have a setting to take pictures in low light ... I never considered that when I picked out a camera. Make sure you ask :p

Originally posted by Wellard Stallard
Hya Zurg

Its a Canon Sure Shot 105 zoom (if that makes any sense to you) I was just hoping to take some decent shots of the parades at night. I will check out that website. Thanks for your help.

ttfn

Good little camera. You can get some nice shots of Spectro Magic no problem, i did at MSEP. The pardae actual makes a fair amount of light. Use 400 or 800 film. Turn the flash off and use a tripod, monopod or trash can to hold your camera still.
Elect_parade_small1.jpg

mine_train_small.jpg

Only use a flash for character close ups
bear_small.jpg

Tapestry works ok for closer shots w/ a flash. Longer shots of the drum thingies work if the are in a well light spot.
ep_drum_tight_small.JPG

tap_lane_dance_small.jpg

Take a lot. It is like fishing keep the good ones and toss back the bad ones - mount the best on the wall.

Just to add to Zurg's on the mark comments:

I'm not sure what features the SS105 has, but if your camera has a night scene mode (or a slow sync as it may be called), learn how to use it.

In this mode, when a photo is taken, the flash fires, but the shutter remains open for a longer period of time. The benefit of doing this is your foreground subject(s) are illimunated by the flash, but any lights in the background (presumably at a lower intensity than the flash) have an opportunity to be captured by the film. This mode may be useful for taking the 'close' character shots at the parade, yet still capture the lights in the background. As always when using a 'slow' shutter speed, a solid platform such as a mono/tripod or other stable surface is helpful to prevent camera shake.

In Zurg's shot of the bear, the parade behind is close enough, so maybe this particular parade you don't need to worry overly much about this, but this mode will be useful in other areas of the park at night. Without this mode, what to your eyes is a great photograph _may_ turn out to be a photo of your foreground subject(s) surrounded by inky darknes.

One free tip for those who don't know, if you have a platform to place the camera, but are taking a slow shutter speed photo, use a remote shutter release. Older cameras this was a mechanical device. Many new cameras use an electronic device. If you don't have a cord (or aren't willing to spend the $$$ for a modern, electronic release), use your delay timer as a poor person's remote release. So long as your subject doesn't move out of the frame, you'll be able to take a photo without worrying about shaking the camera when you press the shutter button.

Hope this helps,
Joe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter