For everyone who wants to do this... but is scared to start

cannmom

Mouseketeer
This post is for everyone like me that reads this board and really wants to do this, but is scared. Scared that : you're too old, too fat, too out of shape. What if people laugh at me? Forget all that; we can do it if we want to. I ran/walked 2016 Princess half and afterwards quit running. I wish I had kept it up, but today I started over again and have my sights set on 2017 Star Wars half. That gives me roughly 5 months before registration to get with it and convince my husband I'm serious again about this again.

So, if you are dreaming about doing a RunDisney race, go for it. My best advice is just start. Read these boards and be inspired by others, but remember the only person you are competing with is yourself. Let's be a Nike ad and "Just Do IT"!

If any of you fantastic experienced RunDisney racers have any advice I would love to hear it. I think this is such a great community. It always is really encouraging and helpful to everyone.

Thank you Cannmom. This came at the right time for me. I appreciate your words of encouragement! :)

Best advice I can give is to find a training plan that will work with your schedule and for your body, and stick with it. :) Love that you posted this!

EDIT: Also, get fitting for running shoes at a running store. The right shoes help soooo much!

I agree with Ariel that getting fitted for running shoes is the #1 thing. I've also read that if you go out and buy a couple of new running outfits, you're more likely to stick with the program. Combine the outfits and shoes and you've already invested quite a bit of money to not stick with it for awhile.

As far as training, my best advice if you haven't run before and would like to start or have not run in a long time and want to get back into it...don't try and run 3 miles on your first run. You will hate it! Get a couch to 5k program and follow it. Sign up for a 5k that works with the couch to 5k program. Run that 5k and enjoy the glory of completing it. Then sign up for a 10k and build up to that distance slowly. Then sign up for a half marathon after completing the 10k. This strategy will help you build up slowly and it will introduce you to longer distances at a much more reasonable timeframe.

I completely agree with finding a training plan that works for you and your schedule and then sticking to it and proper shoes. I'd also say if you can find a running group or partner that can sometimes help a lot with accountability.

And, it's a great post @cannmom you really can do this, you just have to believe and take a leap of faith and then work faithfully and diligently toward your goal.

My best advice is to get the word "can't" out of your vocabulary. If you think or say you can't do something, unfortunately, you've taken the first giant step toward being right. I know this sounds like cliche psychobabble; but sometimes it's accurate.

In addition, regardless of what people think of Nike, "Just Do It" remains an incredibly apt motivator and reminder that we have everything we need to accomplish any goal.

Best advice I can give is to find a training plan that will work with your schedule and for your body, and stick with it. :) Love that you posted this!

EDIT: Also, get fitting for running shoes at a running store. The right shoes help soooo much!
I'm going to add something on to what I said before, because I can't shut up...and this is a tough one...don't compare yourself to other runners.

If you look around this forum, for example, you will see reports of people running VERY high mileage and you will see reports of VERY fast paces. Assuming you are following your training plan, don't fall into the trap of feeling like you are not doing enough compared to others. As the kids say (do they say this anymore?) - you do you. :)

I'm going to add something on to what I said before, because I can't shut up...and this is a tough one...don't compare yourself to other runners.

If you look around this forum, for example, you will see reports of people running VERY high mileage and you will see reports of VERY fast paces. Assuming you are following your training plan, don't fall into the trap of feeling like you are not doing enough compared to others. As the kids say (do they say this anymore?) - you do you. :)

This is great advice, but if I can be so presumptuous as to make a slight addition. While comparing yourself to other runners can be very dangerous, do allow other runners and their achievements to motivate you. Many of the runners here have started from very similar places (I'm honestly not sure if I had ever traversed a mile continuously in under 30 minutes in my entire life before starting my journey) and seeing their stories of success and struggle can be quite helpful if viewed from a good perspective.

as one whose had my 'head in my ****' and finally on the right track (with a decent derail right now) I agree with a lot of the above-

Find the right carrot- because until it becomes habit it becomes far easier to roll over and hit snooze than lace up sneakers and head out to pound pavement at o dark hundred but with the right motivation whether its earning a dollar a mile, a sticker on the chart, a place to post milage etc.

It may SUCK the first few weeks and you will have some bad days, bad runs but it gets easier.

In Nov I clocked a 3:35 and a 3:47 half and had a pretty tough 'come to jesus' moment and so set out to find my carrot.. In Jan I joined a FB community and pledged to run 1,008 miles in 2016 (since my best friend teamed up with me to run the full 2016 miles) and I'm proud to say that my half times are slowly dropping from 3:24 to 3:11 to 3:07 and I'm within sight of the 200 mile mark-

Then I had gallbladder surgery last week that knocked me from rocking a 14:00 min mile down to being dang proud of a 19:00 min and today a 17:38 min mile-

but I'm as proud of my today miles as I was my last weeks miles but I know itll be worth it!

This is great advice, but if I can be so presumptuous as to make a slight addition. While comparing yourself to other runners can be very dangerous, do allow other runners and their achievements to motivate you. Many of the runners here have started from very similar places (I'm honestly not sure if I had ever traversed a mile continuously in under 30 minutes in my entire life before starting my journey) and seeing their stories of success and struggle can be quite helpful if viewed from a good perspective.
I get what you're saying, and I think the last part is key. Even as someone that has been running for awhile, I still get intimidated, even though I know it is not the intent. :confused3

Mostly just trying to say not to feel like it's necessary to ramp up speed/mileage super quickly because it's a recipe for injury and self-doubt.

I've wanted to run the Disney Princess half for about 5 or 6 years now. In 2014 I was 323 lbs and couldn't even walk up the stairs, much less run anywhere. I have worked...so incredibly hard...and lost 165 lbs, and my husband and I are set to sign up for the 2017 princess half when registration opens this summer. I run 3 miles, 4 times a week. I haven't gone any further yet, really...I started at an 18 minute mile last September...now I run an 11 minute mile. I'm still slow, by the standards of most everyone who runs. I will not win any races, I'm sure. But that's not what this is about. I'm doing 5k's, and will do a few 10k's this fall, and my only goal is to finish, with minimal to no walking.

You can do anything - ANYTHING - if you put in the work and you want it badly enough. Start tiny, start slow. Don't give up. Our bodies are capable of more than you realize. I don't have words for what it will mean to me, to cross the finish line at the Princess half and complete a 6 year dream. I never thought I would be able to do it. A year and a half ago, I was told if I didn't lose weight I'd be dead before age 50. It is never too late to live your life and do what you want to do! Get out there and run :lovestruc

My biggest advice is to stick with it. Running gets easier. But to be completely honest, it isn't something that happens overnight. It takes days, weeks, months, and years of consistent effort. You'll have setbacks that you'll have to overcome. You'll have triumphs that seem like no one else close to you is interested in. But you have to find that motivating factor in your life that keeps telling you to lace up those shoes and get out and run. In the end, it's worth it.

Set goals. A goal can be anything. I want to be able to run from this mailbox to the next without stopping. I want to be able to run to the end of this street. I want to run up that hill without taking a break. I want to be able to run a mile under 18:00, or 15:00, or 14:00, or 12:00, or 10:00, or 8:00, or 5:00. I want to be able to run a mile, 2 miles, a 5K, a 10K, a half, a full, an ultra, an ironman. In a week I want to run 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles, 40 miles, 80 miles, 100 miles, 150 miles. In a month I want to run 10 miles, 20 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles, 200 miles, 300 miles, 400 miles. In a year I want to run 50 miles, 100 miles, 300 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, 2000 miles, 3000 miles, 5000 miles. Once you meet a goal, set the next one. Whatever your goal, it's your goal. Don't feel as if your goal isn't special. It is. If it's important to you, then it's special.

From my personal experience, I was barely able to run a mile without huffing, puffing, walking breaks, heart coming out of my chest, dizziness. But now, after 4 years and dropping nearly 100 pounds running has become easier than it was. It's become more enjoyable. My goals have changed. My training has changed. What was once a year's worth of training I now do in about 1 month. Could I have done what I do now 4 years ago? Absolutely not. Did I think I would be able to do what I do now 4 years ago? To be honest, no I never thought it was possible. But I wanted it then, and I still want it badly. So I use my motto as motivation, "If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it!"

I agree! Stick with it! You can do this. Two years ago and even a year ago I wasn't certain I could ever do a half marathon. I started slow running for no more than a minute at a time and now I'm able to run the entire 13.1. It's hard, especially on the days you don't want to do it but just keep challenging yourself. Say I want to run 1 mile then 3 miles and then before you know it you can run farther than you ever thought. Don't worry if you're not as fast as everyone else because you're doing way better than everyone who hasn't tried and soon you'll be doing better than yourself too.

Also, hang out on here. Even if you aren't doing any races the advice and encouragement from other runners is priceless. I don't think I would have made it without these guys.

I ran/walked 2016 Princess half and afterwards quit running. I wish I had kept it up, but today I started over again

I'm going to assume you mean 2015? Because not running since 2016 Princess isn't that big a deal. ;)

now I run an 11 minute mile. I'm still slow, by the standards of most everyone who runs

Now, see, that's something that can cause sniffles. Because I'm at a 13 minute mile, so your 11 minutes is fast to me. If you call yourself slow, what are you accidentally and not meaning to, calling my pace? And if I call myself slow, what am I saying about a 15 minute mile pace? We have to be careful. :)

DH is still over 350 (darned pituitary tumor and messed up metabolism!) and has re-re-re-started Couch to 5K Galloway style. He got derailed because of an achilles injury that a fat-phobic doctor refused to help him with, which started a spiral of shame and "I can't do this". If he had gone to a different doctor like I asked him to, who actually helped him (a boot would have been lovely, but the doctor just could not hear that walking 2 miles EVERY work day is part of DH's commute, and we were about to go to WDW, and "resting" was absolutely NOT possible...DH ended up in such pain he used a cane at Disney, which caused a hip problem, and etc etc etc!), things might be different. But because it was never treated, he still has to baby the heel a lot, so he has to restart the program a lot.

Anyway, that's just to say you don't *have to* lose a bunch of weight to start; start anyway.

I'm going to assume you mean 2015? Because not running since 2016 Princess isn't that big a deal. ;)

Now, see, that's something that can cause sniffles. Because I'm at a 13 minute mile, so your 11 minutes is fast to me. If you call yourself slow, what are you accidentally and not meaning to, calling my pace? And if I call myself slow, what am I saying about a 15 minute mile pace? We have to be careful. :)

DH is still over 350 (darned pituitary tumor and messed up metabolism!) and has re-re-re-started Couch to 5K Galloway style. He got derailed because of an achilles injury that a fat-phobic doctor refused to help him with, which started a spiral of shame and "I can't do this". If he had gone to a different doctor like I asked him to, who actually helped him (a boot would have been lovely, but the doctor just could not hear that walking 2 miles EVERY work day is part of DH's commute, and we were about to go to WDW, and "resting" was absolutely NOT possible...DH ended up in such pain he used a cane at Disney, which caused a hip problem, and etc etc etc!), things might be different. But because it was never treated, he still has to baby the heel a lot, so he has to restart the program a lot.

Anyway, that's just to say you don't *have to* lose a bunch of weight to start; start anyway.

Note that I said "I'm still slow, by the standards of most everyone who runs"...which is true. Most everyone. Not myself, though. I don't think I'm slow, lol, compared to where I started. Most competitive runners that I know have a pace of 7 or under, so 11 minutes...or 15...or 18...would be considered slow to them. However - slow is not necessarily a bad thing :thumbsup2 you made that connection. Slow and steady...still wins the race!

I need to post this on my fridge.

:worship:Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. You all rock and are the reason I love this board. I always come away motivated and inspired. @DopeyBadger love your motto. Going to steal that one for myself.

Go ahead and use it! It has served me very well these past few years and is a constant reminder that to get me where I want to be in my running life I need to put in the work to make it happen.

A tip that worked for me early on, in running and other areas of my life, is replacing the phrase "have to" with "want to". To keep this running themed, I used to tell myself that I have to run today for some reason, whether that be because of an event that I was training for, or fitness, or weight loss. And reminding myself of my goals worked - it got me out the door - but it felt like work.

About 20 years ago a friend told me that my approach was all wrong, and that I needed to stop thinking of my workouts as work. My fitness routine was something that was helping me in my life, and I needed to stop "embracing the grind" and start appreciating the work itself. Learn to love what you are doing for its own sake and it won't feel like work. Learn to love running because of where it takes you and how it makes you feel RIGHT NOW, not because it is helping you with other goals in life.

So, I replaced "have to" with "want to". In the beginning it was just a mantra. It was something that I told myself over and over again to change my frame of mind, but the fitness routine still felt like work. But over time it began to work. I found myself really looking forward to my routine every day, no matter how tough a particular day's workout might be. I found the things that I was really able to embrace and ramped them up, and I moved away from the things that I was just not able to learn to like (biking, for example). I learned to live in the moment and really appreciate every run.

I used to hate to miss a workout because I felt like I was letting myself down - failing my plan for myself. Now I hate to miss a workout because I love my workouts.

I love running - that is why I run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter