For families of 5...

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a trip for 2019 for my family of 4 and my sister's family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids all over 3). We all want to stay at the same resort, but budget is going to be a big deal for her and her family. I priced out getting 2 rooms at an All Star for her, a family suite at AS Music, and one room at a moderate (CBR). The most cost effective for her seems to be one room at a moderate. Is there an option I'm overlooking?

You could look at booking at the nearby Disney Springs resorts, or try to rent DVC points for a two or three bedroom unit and price everything out. Are you all flying or driving? Will you rent a car (or two cars)? Do you want the dining plan?

There are threads about offsite properties on here that have really great information. You will most likely be able to get a larger room/suite with a kitchen for much less than staying on Disney property.

We did rent DVC points once for two parties at AKL and it was very easy. There are some things to consider about renting DVC, which is different than booking resort rooms directly through Disney. The two main companies that I have heard good things about are Dvcrental store and David's DVC rentals. We used DVC Rental Store.

Edited to add that our trip was in January and our AKL standard view room was less than the cost of a moderate hotel room.

I'm planning a trip for 2019 for my family of 4 and my sister's family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids all over 3). We all want to stay at the same resort, but budget is going to be a big deal for her and her family. I priced out getting 2 rooms at an All Star for her, a family suite at AS Music, and one room at a moderate (CBR). The most cost effective for her seems to be one room at a moderate. Is there an option I'm overlooking?
Moderate will be most cost effective. Port Orleans Riverside has rooms for 5 in the Alligator bayou section as well. They have a pull-down bed made for a smaller person (kid most likely). I think with the discount we caught it was $219 a room? Still cheaper tha two values and a very cool resort at that!

We are planning to book a bounceback when my husband and I travel in August for this trip next year. We are hoping for the free dining bounceback, which makes more sense financially for us than renting points or staying off property.

Onsite booking through Disney, the cheapest option is a moderate. Next would be an All-Star Music suite, followed by 2 value rooms.

There also are the Disney Springs resort you could consider. The Doubletree is a Disney Springs resort that comfortably sleeps 5. You have most of the Disney benefits, like EMH, staying there.

Offsite opens many, many more affordable options, from renting a timeshare to a house.

We are planning to book a bounceback when my husband and I travel in August for this trip next year. We are hoping for the free dining bounceback, which makes more sense financially for us than renting points or staying off property.

I am not sure about this, but I think that my friend booked a bounce back a couple of years back and was able to book 2 rooms with free dining on the bounce back. Her parents traveled on the bounce back trip with them and stayed in the other room. If this is the case, you could get the free dining for your sister which should help out a lot!

I am not sure about this, but I think that my friend booked a bounce back a couple of years back and was able to book 2 rooms with free dining on the bounce back. Her parents traveled on the bounce back trip with them and stayed in the other room. If this is the case, you could get the free dining for your sister which should help out a lot!

Both the OP and her DH would need to book a BB room and put the deposit on at the time of booking, and the DH would need to be the lead guest in the second BB room. I would totally be okay with this, but it is a responsibility for people to take. You cannot transfer a BB room to someone else, so the DH would be on that room reservation.

Both the OP and her DH would need to book a BB room and put the deposit on at the time of booking, and the DH would need to be the lead guest in the second BB room. I would totally be okay with this, but it is a responsibility for people to take. You cannot transfer a BB room to someone else, so the DH would be on that room reservation.
This actually is not what I've been told. Several people on these boards and in Disney Facebook groups have told me there was a change a while back that allows you to book up to 3 rooms with a bounceback and my sister should be able to have the reservation in her name. I guess we'll see what the CM says when I actually call to make the reservation, but that's my understanding.

This actually is not what I've been told. Several people on these boards and in Disney Facebook groups have told me there was a change a while back that allows you to book up to 3 rooms with a bounceback and my sister should be able to have the reservation in her name. I guess we'll see what the CM says when I actually call to make the reservation, but that's my understanding.

I would be happy with that change. Please let us know. You never could do that before. Anyone on a reservation could book a BB, even if they were not the lead guest in a room, but you could not book three rooms, and assign names to those not listed on the reservation. I tried and was told I could not do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter