For Faster Check-In…

aliceinvunderland

Mouseketeer
Can I still say I’m using a birth certificate to get through the process faster, then go back and enter passport info later? I’m fairly sure I’ve done that before, but not sure if it’s still an option. Thanks!

It's the picture uploading that usually takes the longest, and as @TRTRguy said, you have to upload a picture of whatever citizenship document you're using. So it might save a few seconds not having to actually key in the passport info (though not sure what you have key in for a birth certificate), but since you have to upload a photo either way not sure it will really save you any significant time.

The app pulled out the passport info for me, and autofilled everything other than the issue date. I'm curious how well it would be able to similarly pull out field info from birth certs, considering they are going to have very much un-standardized formatting.

The passport is actually machine readable that why they can pull the info from the picture. The strange writing at the bottom of the picture page is formatted in a standard way that the computer can extrapolate your info. When you have your passport checked at check in for an international flight or at immigration entering a country, they scan that part. So, if your picture of that part of the passport is clear, all info will automatically be pulled from there.

Just for my own sanity, the picture of the passport you upload is a pic of the whole passport, or just the passport picture? I am a little confused.

Just for my own sanity, the picture of the passport you upload is a pic of the whole passport, or just the passport picture? I am a little confused.
The entire passport opened flat. The system picks up the number and exp date and populates it automatically normally.

You scan the whole page, the one that has your picture and information on it, and it has to include the print at the bottom.
And we found it was easiest to use a flatbed scanner (I use the one on our all-in-one color printer) to get a jpeg image of our passports rather than taking a picture with a smartphone. That way, the entire image is in focus. It’s difficult to get the passport to lay flat when taking a picture of it. If it‘s in focus across the entire image, the passport information should automatically populate the online form when you check in. Of course, that assumes Disney IT is working properly at the time.

And we found it was easiest to use a flatbed scanner (I use the one on our all-in-one color printer) to get a jpeg image of our passports rather than taking a picture with a smartphone. That way, the entire image is in focus. It’s difficult to get the passport to lay flat when taking a picture of it. If it‘s in focus across the entire image, the passport information should automatically populate the online form when you check in. Of course, that assumes Disney IT is working properly at the time.
That was the hardest thing for me! I live alone (and sadly don't have access to a scanner), so it took me the better part of half an hour to use one hand to try to flatten the passport and the other to hold the phone at the correct angle to get everything in focus!

So odd, I only did the bottom part of the passport and both times they've gone through without issue.

So odd, I only did the bottom part of the passport and both times they've gone through without issue.
All that’s on the top page is the signature line anyway. The picture and the machine-readable coding at the bottom of the page are both on the bottom part.

I only upload the bottom half that has the picture and information. I don’t include the top half which has my signature on it. Worked like this for multiple cruises in the past two years with no issues.

I only upload the bottom half that has the picture and information. I don’t include the top half which has my signature on it. Worked like this for multiple cruises in the past two years with no issues.
Good to know. My scan is for both pages and has uploaded easily for my last 7 cruises. Doesn’t always refill, but has a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter