For Platinum cruisers: how many times have you failed to dock at Castaway Cay?

Was that the 1/15/16 cruise on the Dream? We were on that one and stayed on the island because we had rented one of those cabanas on SB. Spent a fair amount of time inside the cabana with the doors closed. On that cruise the Captain got to CC around midnight because they were worried that they would not be able to dock in the morning.

Of my 10 cruises there were two that were suppose to dock at CC that were unable due to weather. First time was WBPC in January 2011. The other time we could not dock was also in January in 2015.
We were on CC a week later - Friday the 22nd from the Fantasy - Eastern / Tortolla cruise.

We've made it every time we were supposed to. BUT this January, they didn't need to bother docking at CC - the weather was "horrible". We didn't leave the ship, I did step outside a few times and the wind and rain was COLD. I think that most people that got off of the ship were back by noon.

And we didn't leave the island until the scheduled time. I guess Disney needed to charge everyone for the use of the cabanas, and the on shore spa treatments :scratchin
I believe we were on the same cruise and we headed back to the ship around noon when the heavy rain started. I believe I heard people saying they "closed" the island a couple of hours later and made anyone still on CC return to the ship, probably due to the strong winds.

Was that the 1/15/16 cruise on the Dream? We were on that one and stayed on the island because we had rented one of those cabanas on SB. Spent a fair amount of time inside the cabana with the doors closed. On that cruise the Captain got to CC around midnight because they were worried that they would not be able to dock in the morning.

Of my 10 cruises there were two that were suppose to dock at CC that were unable due to weather. First time was WBPC in January 2011. The other time we could not dock was also in January in 2015.
Were you asked to return to the ship early? I thought I heard people say that the island was "closed" around 2 or 3pm due to the strong winds.

Were you asked to return to the ship early? I thought I heard people say that the island was "closed" around 2 or 3pm due to the strong winds.
Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent, but I'm wondering how they do this. Are there hidden speakers around the island that they would make an announcement through? CM's walking around telling everybody? Ship's horn blowing some pre-arranged signal?

Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent, but I'm wondering how they do this. Are there hidden speakers around the island that they would make an announcement through? CM's walking around telling everybody? Ship's horn blowing some pre-arranged signal?
I had already returned to the ship so I'm not sure if this occurred or how it was handled if it did. I do know that it didn't look like anyone was on the island after 2:30 or so and all the umbrellas were closed on the beach, shops looked battened down, etc.

Not sure, but I would think the CMs walk around and notify everyone. With other CMs checking the areas once they've been (supposedly) cleared.

On CC on one visit, an unexpected thunder storm came in, CMs and lifeguards by word of mouth told everyone, get out of the water. We were out about an hour, then the same people gave the all clear.

Nine cruises, 6 to CC, made them all. Once we were late and the Captain almost cancelled but we eventually docked. I think you get a skewed view of how often they miss it because that's what people post. I don't think it's nearly as often as you may think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter