For those back from Germany...$$ question...

trampslady

<font color=green>I stop and watch the Norway vide
I want to take some Euro with us from the US, and I'm curious how much you would suggest we start with. We will use our ATM while there but figured we'd start with some to avoid the transaction fees.

We will be arriving one full day early and staying at the same hotel, so we will be on our own almost two days before we meet up with the group.

Did anyone do that before the trip? If so, was breakfast provided on your "on you own" morning?

Thanks!

Hey, I am replying to you again! on a different thread. We did the same thing. arrived a day early and stayed at the crown plaza. It's good to have some cash, some of the smaller restaurants didn't take credit cards. I had some euros left over from last year. That said, your atm card will give you the best conversion rate even with the 2% service fee they charge. You will pay a lot more at your bank or a travel agent. When you get to the hotel, just ask where is the nearest atm and get some euros. You have some symbols on the back of the card. Make sure one of them matches (plus or link). Unlike here, the atm offers you 5 languages. It doesn't give you a receipt. Remember to call your bank and credit card companies to tell them you will be in Germany.

Breakfast is included on that pre morning in Germany. Big buffet. Very nice.

Have fun. Happy to answer any other questions.

You are so sweet to share your knowledge with me! This is our very first visit to Europe. We travel extensively in the US, but this trip has me trying to think of everything!

Would you say that jeans are okay for most days? It will be late September when we travel, so I expect it to be a little cooler than now. I'm not really planning to take any dressy clothes.

Oh, and any suggestions for sightseeing on our two free afternoons before the rest of the group arrives?

you are right, Abby - the buffet was awesome.

I only used $40 US with my traveler's cheques. I put everything else on my AmEx card. Can't wait to get the statement. :confused3 I just felt safer that way and I didn't come home with a lot of extra change.

Also remember, if the store does take US dollars, they give you the change back in Euros.

To answer Trampslady questions about clothes: our group was very casual. It was rather hot most of the time and two of the hotels don't have air conditioning. Most wore shorts or capris. I'm sure jeans are fine for Sept. I make my family dress sort of nice for dinner most nights. My son and husband wear slacks and a collared golf type shirt. We three girls wear a skirt or dress or nice slacks and shirt. that said, you don't have to. Some on our tour remained very casual at all times. Some dressed for dinner each night. I brought one skirt and one pair of nice slacks and 2 shirts for dinners. I wore those items several times each.
The hotels have umbrellas to lend.
In Heidelberg you can walk up the philosophers way. A steep paved trail up the side of the mountain with amazing views and spots to view from. Bring a bottle of water. From the schloss, you can take the funicular (a sort of sideways cross between an elevator and a train) that goes up to the top of the mountain for nice walks and great views. Or visit the student prison museum. Walk across the old bridge into Neuenheim. It's all very pretty. There are some websites that tell what you can do in each place.
Don't think about it all too much. Just enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter