For those of you that stay deluxe - what do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to consider cost of living. My friend was a nurse in the NICU at Greenwich Hospital in CT. She made double what I made as a teacher in CT. She lived in a beautiful house on an average sized lot. Her husband was an athletic director for a private school.

When she moved to Tennessee, she got a nursing position in a big city hospital in the NICU for a much smaller salary. She bought a gigantic house on acres and acres of land in TN. Her husband didn’t find a job right away and her job with a considerable cut in pay was enough to support them both in a mansion with enough land for horses.

It’s all relative.

True, I was going to mention living area but didn't want to go too long. However the numbers and percentages I gave are regardless of living area... but yes if you make $100K in TN it is MUCH different than making $100K in the D.C. metro area.. you would defiantly have much more disposable income in TN.

I live outside the latter, so even though I make a comfortable living, no way I would drop $10-20K on a vacation unless it was a 3 month tour of Europe.

I’m a civil servant in local government, my partner does art restoration. Neither of us make a ton of money, and we live in one of the most expensive cities in North America, but we don’t have kids and aren’t planning on it (nothing wrong with kids, but it’s just not for us). Like others have said, it’s about priorities. I’m not exactly as frugal as others but I live by the creed that only suckers pay retail! (And real suckers pay rack rate for Disney deluxes!) I’m a bargain hunter by nature.

So yes I do wear designer/imported clothes but not at designer prices. Most of my clothes come from a local gem of a store that sells European and designer brands at ridiculous discounts. I’m also fortunate to be thin enough to be able to shop sample sales. We don’t own cars because we have robust public transit here and rely on ride share to fill the gaps. I’m an avid cook and pack bento lunches, partner works close enough to come home for lunch. I use mobile coupons for everything and monitor twitter for flash sales. And yes we have multiple credit cards, but we leverage the system and come out ahead. We use them like debit cards, maximizing our rewards, and never carry a balance.

I’ve had Swolphin stays on Starwood points earned from regular expenses and flown for free. For our upcoming Poly trip we’re using an agency exclusive discount and paying a fraction of rack rate for a 7 night stay. We only book with our TA for the discount and do all the planning ourselves. I wouldn’t stay on property at any level for what Disney charges, even with their alleged “discounts”. But we’re not the go every year type either, we enjoy other vacations.

This thread fascinates me as I've always wondered the same. We stayed at the Poly last year with a great discount from the TA frequently mentioned on the DIS (thanks for the tip, DIS friends!). We'll be staying at the Beach Club with a discount in 2019 as well.

I am a lower level supervisor at a financial institution and my husband is a project manager for a solar company. We are in our 40's and only recently could afford a trip to Disney World at all, let alone stay at a Deluxe. I agree with everybody who stated that it is all about saving, planning and choices. We don't make a ton of money, but I'm a saver, and since my first trip to the World a few years ago, I've made an effort to squirrel away money specifically for these trips.

Our first stay was at Pop, which was fine for me but my husband wouldn't go back unless we stayed at the Poly. So I saved, found a discount and we LOVED the Poly so much that we're now spoiled. The convenience of being close to a park and avoiding busses is worth the extra money for my family.

We stay deluxe because we bought into DVC. We stayed many years at value, then moderate. We got an incredible deal on a deluxe and decided we needed to find a way to stay deluxe from then on. We found buying resale DVC, even with the loan payment and dues, we were paying the price of a moderate and still able to go every year. We later added direct points to get discount annual passes too. So we are still spending the same as moderate to this day and staying deluxe. I guarantee we make less money than most on these boards too. :rotfl:

I have no real secret. I work 16 hour days and most holidays and weekends. It's exhausting and soul destroying and I pretty much never see my kids except when we're at disney world. So when we go, we spend a lot, probably more than we should, but it is our happy place as a family and worth every penny to me to have those memories to get me through the day. Typing during my 11pm dinner break before I go back to work. *sigh*

I understand the sacrifice you are making but as I approach retirement the one thing I read that has made a difference as to when I retire is that you can always make more money but you can't get back time. 16 hours a day sounds horrendous and as much as Disney is your family's happy place, working a normal 8 hour day would give you back 8 hours a day of family life. Disney may be a week or two of fun a year, but your kids might prefer having mom home more throughout the year to do normal things like going to the park and watching their games. Please give this some thought before your kids are all grown up and you can't get back the time.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, i wasn't really sure where to put it. I'm also sorry if this is an uncouth thing to discuss, but I thought it would be interesting!

I've always dreamed of taking future kids (getting married next spring) to Disney and staying at GF every time (it's my favorite!). However, I know it's incredibly expensive and can't fathom how people afford to take their kids and stay deluxe all the time! So I'm curious, if you love to stay deluxe with the kiddos, what do you do for a living? Or do you have any other secrets to how you afford to stay deluxe?
Save my money is how I do it.

Make choices in everyday life.

No manicures, no coloring my hair, buy my clothes at Walmart, ask on the lot "what's the cheapest car you have with an automatic transmission", as at Best Buy "what's your cheapest computer", shop at Aldi, use coupons.

Where my husband works has nothing to do with it. We are a one income home.

And I will agree, it's an uncouth thing to discuss.

We own a medium sized plumbing company. We are lucky enough to pay for vacations at the Poly club level for our family with credit card points. We pay all of our suppliers by credit cards to rack up points.

We used to stay at values before we bought the business. We put in a massive amount of hours and are never really off unless we go on vacation. When we do go on vacation we want quiet and to relax so we stay at deluxe resorts.

We own a medium sized plumbing company. We are lucky enough to pay for vacations at the Poly club level for our family with credit card points. We pay all of our suppliers by credit cards to rack up points.

We used to stay at values before we bought the business. We put in a massive amount of hours and are never really off unless we go on vacation. When we do go on vacation we want quiet and to relax so we stay at deluxe resorts.
We do the same thing with our business, but I save our points for overseas travel. Once you're flown to Europe in First Class, it's very difficult to go back to coach!

Save my money is how I do it.

Make choices in everyday life.

No manicures, no coloring my hair, buy my clothes at Walmart, ask on the lot "what's the cheapest car you have with an automatic transmission", as at Best Buy "what's your cheapest computer", shop at Aldi, use coupons.

Where my husband works has nothing to do with it. We are a one income home.

And I will agree, it's an uncouth thing to discuss.
The beauty is no one has to discuss it unless they choose to!

I’m sure almost everyone here can admit that the first time they planned a trip to WDW their jaws dropped at the rack rate for deluxes. But once you do research, visit a few times and learn how to find discounts you do find deluxe can be worth it. We aren’t the sort of family (yet) that needs our WDW fix and will do it at any cost or stay value and power through. We just aren’t park warriors. We are on the go a ton with work and other travel and find we can unwind at WDW in a way we can’t elsewhere, even with the crowds. If we can’t afford to do WDW the way we prefer we can travel elsewhere for less.

I’m sure almost everyone here can admit that the first time they planned a trip to WDW their jaws dropped at the rack rate for deluxes. But once you do research, visit a few times and learn how to find discounts you do find deluxe can be worth it. We aren’t the sort of family (yet) that needs our WDW fix and will do it at any cost or stay value and power through. We just aren’t park warriors. We are on the go a ton with work and other travel and find we can unwind at WDW in a way we can’t elsewhere, even with the crowds. If we can’t afford to do WDW the way we prefer we can travel elsewhere for less.
This is just me but discounts are never a guarantee and the way with Disney nowadays is you've got a lot working against discounts (like time of year, number of nights you're trying to stay, specific room you may want, etc).

I personally would follow the guideline if I couldn't pay rack rate then don't stay there. I know discounts are likely but I think there's a difference in saying "I'll stay Deluxe if there's a discount" and "I'll stay Deluxe even if there isn't a discount". The rack rates are paid by some people that's for sure.

We went to Sandals for our honeymoon and I want to say it was 50-55% off. There is just no way we would have wanted to stay in our room for $900-$1,000 per night even at all-inclusive for 9 nights. But at a discount we decided it was worth it.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, i wasn't really sure where to put it. I'm also sorry if this is an uncouth thing to discuss, but I thought it would be interesting!

I've always dreamed of taking future kids (getting married next spring) to Disney and staying at GF every time (it's my favorite!). However, I know it's incredibly expensive and can't fathom how people afford to take their kids and stay deluxe all the time! So I'm curious, if you love to stay deluxe with the kiddos, what do you do for a living? Or do you have any other secrets to how you afford to stay deluxe?

Look into buying DVC resale as it makes deluxe resorts much more affordable (that's what we did). Or do like someone else said and rent points from someone in DVC.

This is just me but discounts are never a guarantee and the way with Disney nowadays is you've got a lot working against discounts (like time of year, number of nights you're trying to stay, specific room you may want, etc).

I personally would follow the guideline if I couldn't pay rack rate then don't stay there. I know discounts are likely but I think there's a difference in saying "I'll stay Deluxe if there's a discount" and "I'll stay Deluxe even if there isn't a discount". The rack rates are paid by some people that's for sure.

We went to Sandals for our honeymoon and I want to say it was 50-55% off. There is just no way we would have wanted to stay in our room for $900-$1,000 per night even at all-inclusive for 9 nights. But at a discount we decided it was worth it.
We don’t plan that way I guess! If we want to go to WDW we throw some dates out to our TA and/or DVC Rental and see what comes back. If nothing of interest comes back we don’t book. If the price is good we book. I have never booked a deluxe and waited for a discount to fall from Disney, for sure too risky if you don’t want to pay rack rate. Luckily we are flexible I guess.

This is exactly how we feel. Not to knock the values because they serve a purpose and have their fans but it’s just not our preference. If we can’t swing deluxe we don’t go, and vacation elsewhere.

I think we should be careful to state what we mean by “discount”. Most people mean the discounts that Disney releases—AP, bouncebacks, room only discounts that come out with “free” dining, etc. If that’s the case then you’re absolutely correct, there’s no guarantee of a discount. But that doesn’t mean you’re stuck paying Disney rack rate, if you’re even a little internet savvy, unless you’re desperate for “free” dining or something. Agencies that offer exclusive deep discounts via booking blocks of convention rooms and pass those savings on to customers is a very easy way to travel deluxe at reasonable prices. I don’t want to break the rules so I won’t name it but the one I use is well known in the Disney fan community. Certain times of year they offer better rates than others but it’s always a lot less than rack. I found out about mine through reddit.

I think we should be careful to state what we mean by “discount”. Most people mean the discounts that Disney releases—AP, bouncebacks, room only discounts that come out with “free” dining, etc. If that’s the case then you’re absolutely correct, there’s no guarantee of a discount. But that doesn’t mean you’re stuck paying Disney rack rate, if you’re even a little internet savvy, unless you’re desperate for “free” dining or something. Agencies that offer exclusive deep discounts via booking blocks of convention rooms and pass those savings on to customers is a very easy way to travel deluxe at reasonable prices. I don’t want to break the rules so I won’t name it but the one I use is well known in the Disney fan community.
Discount..means anything other than rack rate.

Regardless of whether Disney put it out or you're getting it through a TA you're still not paying rack rate.

I don't think one needs to be careful in what we mean by discount unless you want to be nitpicky and say "discounted rate" whatev

My point was if you won't stay Deluxe at rack rate that is different than saying you will stay at Deluxe rack rate.

We don’t plan that way I guess! If we want to go to WDW we throw some dates out to our TA and/or DVC Rental and see what comes back. If nothing of interest comes back we don’t book. If the price is good we book. I have never booked a deluxe and waited for a discount to fall from Disney, for sure too risky if you don’t want to pay rack rate. Luckily we are flexible I guess.
I was responding to how you phrased your comments in that "learn how to find discounts you do find deluxe can be worth it." which implies for some it may not be worth it if the rate is not less than rack rate.

I completely agree with the statement in bold.
We are a couple, no children, pretty good salary. We stay deluxe by only going to Disney every few years. We take less expensive vacations between. And we make sure we can afford to pay the rack rate at the deluxe we choose or we wait, save some more, and book the year we can afford it. Last trip we did NOT end up getting a discount for our October trip at Polynesian Village, but luckily we had saved for the worst case scenario and were able to go without worry. :)

Ha ha, i just checked the prices and can see why you would ask that - I am an Assistant Principal at a high school here, but we do decide to use our money for the Disney Vacation Club. We feel it is well worth it vacation wise. Plus we have points to go for 2 weeks and a couple of weekends. Like most have said on here it just depends on what you want to spend your money on

I was responding to how you phrased your comments in that "learn how to find discounts you do find deluxe can be worth it." which implies for some it may not be worth it if the rate is not less than rack rate.

For me personally, the deluxes aren’t worth it at the rack rate. For others they are and it’s fine either way.

By renting DVC points, I am happy with the price we paid for our upcoming 3 nights at WL. However, I had already decided that as much as I love Disney, if we couldn’t rent points, we were going to stay on longer at Universal, where even at rack rate I think the prices are worth it for the included express passes.
One thing I am struggling to justify for this trip, is Disney’s prices for most of their TS restaurants. I have made a couple of cheaper ADRs (e.g. Trails End), but will have to be content this trip with mostly QS and a few room-prepared meals.
About 5 years ago when we last visited WDW, we ate at many of the restaurants and thought the prices were fair. This year, I am looking at the increased prices and know that the bill will leave a sour taste in my mouth that the food (regardless of how tasty it is) will not be able to erase.
I know many will disagree with me at that’s fine. We, all prioritise our money differently.

We are fortunate to be travelling for almost 6 weeks for this trip, and the whole planning process has been a case of “If we don’t book this, we will be able to afford to do that”. Or “If we don’t eat there, we’ll be able to afford to stay here”. etc etc

We aren’t a poor family, but we certainly aren’t rich either, and once we leave for this trip, we will have been saving for close to 2 years. During this time, I’ve saved hard by spending very little on myself (I even convinced my husband to give my hair a trim the other day). However, I still know the fact that we can afford to travel at all makes us blessed. It’s very much a first world luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter