For those of you who bought direct...

No point was made. Original owner buys in at $80 sells in the future for $140, same resort is bought a few years after original buyer for $100 sells for the same $140.00. I am not sure your following but resale is usually after the original owner buys in and history has shown the prices are usually more than paid.

Now without factoring maintenance fees, how much use was received by either buyer and a myriad of other things and without one of the forum stasticion's doing a complete anaylsis, I would say original owner wins in this more common scenario.
Again you're not comparing purchase prices at the same time. You're accounting for a time difference not a difference between direct and resale. Go buy Riviera direct today and I'll buy resale at Riviera today. We both sell at the same time...I'm further ahead.

Well, my nature is that I feel I'm missing a really good sale and that is my regret. LOL!

Truthfully I was kinda stunned when we did buy - my focus was the anytime FP - but my husband kept asking questions and finally decided we should've bought this years earlier. That first contract was our largest contract. In an effort to understand how the membership worked, I hopped online and discovered various forums with led me to the resale market. Reality: DH was uncomfortable with the resale purchase process and I am impatient. We went on to buy 3 more contracts direct and I can't regret buying direct. All 3 add-ons are small and odd numbers of points which made them hard to find on the resale. The biggest plus is having access to the points immediately. They just run the CC and poof points are ready for use.

Again you're not comparing purchase prices at the same time. You're accounting for a time difference not a difference between direct and resale. Go buy Riviera direct today and I'll buy resale at Riviera today. We both sell at the same time...I'm further ahead.

You are only taking into account one scenario which is not a good measure of the real history of buying DVC.

No point was made. Original owner buys in at $80 sells in the future for $140, same resort is bought a few years after original buyer for $100 sells for the same $140.00. I am not sure your following but resale is usually after the original owner buys in and history has shown the prices are usually more than paid.

Now without factoring maintenance fees, how much use was received by either buyer and a myriad of other things and without one of the forum stasticion's doing a complete anaylsis, I would say original owner wins in this more common scenario.
I’m following. The point is in your example the direct and resale buyer are purchasing years apart. That is the effect of “time”, not the result of direct vs resale, as @JETSDAD had pointed out.

We bought our first 2 contracts several years ago: resale BLT (with no restrictions), with an immediate (and planned) little direct add-on. We bought the little add-on direct at PVB for blue-card benefits (mainly for the AP discount). Now that we qualify as FL residents, the AP doesn’t matter to us, but I’m still very happy with our direct purchase. It was small, just what we wanted, super quick to load, and is “future-proof” while providing us with some little perks... for instance, I love being able to rest on comfy couches in Epcot’s member lounge- it was a perk I hadn’t even thought of!

We have two direct contracts bought a while ago, so they were only $98 for AKV and $125 for BLT. We also bought a resale contract for Boulder Ridge in 2017 for $83 a point. All points are eligible to stay at new resorts. We just signed a direct contract for 300 points at Copper Creek for $185 a point. We bought this one direct because we want access to future resorts and we added our adult daughter to the contract. We asked her if she wanted to take this over in 10-15 years and she was all for it. In 15 years there will be several new resorts and 7 years from when BWV, BCV and BRV will expire. She is young and has a lot of time to use the contract. Also resale CCV contracts are $145 a point. The small price difference is worth the extra benefits.

We have two direct contracts bought a while ago, so they were only $98 for AKV and $125 for BLT. We also bought a resale contract for Boulder Ridge in 2017 for $83 a point. All points are eligible to stay at new resorts. We just signed a direct contract for 300 points at Copper Creek for $185 a point. We bought this one direct because we want access to future resorts and we added our adult daughter to the contract. We asked her if she wanted to take this over in 10-15 years and she was all for it. In 15 years there will be several new resorts and 7 years from when BWV, BCV and BRV will expire. She is young and has a lot of time to use the contract. Also resale CCV contracts are $145 a point. The small price difference is worth the extra benefits.

Is that a single 300 pt contract? If so I'd really recommend you get it split if you are still within the timeframe to change it. Should the need or desire to sell it ever come it will be much easier to sell two 150 point contracts or even three 100 point contracts. Larger contracts can sit longer as there are fewer people looking for that amount of points.

As long as the purchase hasn't "closed" and the deed been filed with the state you often can get the direct purchase modified. If you're within 10 days of signing then it definitely can be done.

Is that a single 300 pt contract? If so I'd really recommend you get it split if you are still within the timeframe to change it. Should the need or desire to sell it ever come it will be much easier to sell two 150 point contracts or even three 100 point contracts. Larger contracts can sit longer as there are fewer people looking for that amount of points.

As long as the purchase hasn't "closed" and the deed been filed with the state you often can get the direct purchase modified. If you're within 10 days of signing then it definitely can be done.
We thought about it, but out guide got all our info wrong on the contract and had to redo it twice. If we asked him to split it it would be a mess again. It will be okay. You can’t get studios at CCV anyway. You need a lot of points if you own there.

No regrets at all. We have three contracts and all were purchased direct. Each time we bought they were offering good incentives and we paid with our Disney Visa which brought the price down even more. We had points in our account in a matter of hours. We purchased our last contract in Aug and not only booked a stay within a couple of hours, but actually completed the trip before the contract even officially closed - they make it so easy.

Yes, we could have bought resale and saved money, and we thought long and hard about direct vs. resale. It came down to our son. He was 21 when we bought our first contract, and we added him to the deed. While my husband and I love Disney (obviously), our son is the real Disney die hard fan. We purchased DVC for two reasons. When my husband retires in a couple of years, we will have a lot more time to spend at Disney and love the added space that the villas provide. We also have enough points and will be going often enough that we should be able to take advantage of the AP discount (assuming it comes back) which will further close that direct vs resale $$ gap. Then, when we are too old and decrepit to go, our wish is that our son can enjoy the membership with his family for years to come. Therefore, the ability to access Riviera, the new DVC property at Disneyland and any future resorts was pretty much a deal breaker for us. Once DVC contracts start expiring in 2042, there will be less and less rooms available for resale buyers unless they bought prior to the restrictions being implemented (all of ours were bought after the restrictions began). That probably won't affect my husband and I, but it most definitely will affect our son.

Everyone's circumstances and financial status is different. Noone buying into DVC should go forward without doing a LOT of research and figuring out what works best for them. Direct works for us and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Edited to add: All the above being said, we are entertaining the idea of buying a small resale contract at Hilton Head. We stayed there for the first time in Sept and absolutely fell in love with it. I don't know if we will actually pull the trigger, but if we do it would primarily be used just for HH stays, so resale restrictions wouldn't really matter. Chances are we won't do it, but I only add this to reemphasize that the decision to purchase DVC is complicated. There are so many things to consider.

Last edited:
We bought 100 (SSR) direct before the increase in October. It's our first and only contract (so far). No regrets.

It took us lots of soul searching to justify it. In the end, DVC is completely a luxury thing... and if nothing else the blue card *feels* good... combo that with all the other things mentioned here, we bought.

Thats not to say we didn't maximize the purchase... We bought it all/paid off on credit cards ( 2 new cards with effectively $2400+ in points ... I can confirm on chase the charges were categorized as 'travel' for you point gurus out there ) ... Plus we wanted to 'hide' some cash from FAFSA. Effectively we were a fair bit closer to resale than list.

Good Luck!

No regrets at all. We have three contracts and all were purchased direct. Each time we bought they were offering good incentives and we paid with our Disney Visa which brought the price down even more. We had points in our account in a matter of hours. We purchased our last contract in Aug and not only booked a stay within a couple of hours, but actually completed the trip before the contract even officially closed - they make it so easy.

Yes, we could have bought resale and saved money, and we thought long and hard about direct vs. resale. It came down to our son. He was 21 when we bought our first contract, and we added him to the deed. While my husband and I love Disney (obviously), our son is the real Disney die hard fan. We purchased DVC for two reasons. When my husband retires in a couple of years, we will have a lot more time to spend at Disney and love the added space that the villas provide. We also have enough points and will be going often enough that we should be able to take advantage of the AP discount (assuming it comes back) which will further close that direct vs resale $$ gap. Then, when we are too old and decrepit to go, our wish is that our son can enjoy the membership with his family for years to come. Therefore, the ability to access Riviera, the new DVC property at Disneyland and any future resorts was pretty much a deal breaker for us. Once DVC contracts start expiring in 2042, there will be less and less rooms available for resale buyers unless they bought prior to the restrictions being implemented (all of ours were bought after the restrictions began). That probably won't affect my husband and I, but it most definitely will affect our son.

Everyone's circumstances and financial status is different. Noone buying into DVC should go forward without doing a LOT of research and figuring out what works best for them. Direct works for us and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Edited to add: All the above being said, we are entertaining the idea of buying a small resale contract at Hilton Head. We stayed there for the first time in Sept and absolutely fell in love with it. I don't know if we will actually pull the trigger, but if we do it would primarily be used just for HH stays, so resale restrictions wouldn't really matter. Chances are we won't do it, but I only add this to reemphasize that the decision to purchase DVC is complicated. There are so many things to consider.

This.

I don't think people fully realize the 2042 resorts expiration is going to have quite the impact on all the other "original" resorts. SSR resale owners that bought SSR for SAP, better also be happy staying at SSR. ( I would be, but others I know would not). In general, you need to know you'll be very happy at your home resort if you're buying resale right now.

We bought direct and don't regret it. We will likely buy resale in the future but got good incentives and a blue card.

I got access to my points immediately and didn't have to worry about ROFR or anything else.

Another benefit that I think a lot of people don't factor in to their math is that based on our UY and when we bought we got a years worth of point for no maintenance fees.

Another benefit that I think a lot of people don't factor in to their math is that based on our UY and when we bought we got a years worth of point for no maintenance fees.

While I do not disagree that there are benefits when buying direct, I just wanted to point out that you can also find "fully loaded" resale contracts out there with current year points or banked points. Actually, Disney will charge you pro-rated maintenance fees when buying direct (if you buy in September, you pay for September to December), but for resale, you can negotiate (and is typical) that paid maintenance fees are not reimbursed.

While I do not disagree that there are benefits when buying direct, I just wanted to point out that you can also find "fully loaded" resale contracts out there with current year points or banked points. Actually, Disney will charge you pro-rated maintenance fees when buying direct (if you buy in September, you pay for September to December), but for resale, you can negotiate (and is typical) that paid maintenance fees are not reimbursed.

To get even more specific a direct purchase only comes with current points forward. If you're at the end of a UY it can feel like extra but it's actually current. Only with resale can you actually get a fully loaded contract with banked points too.

No regrets. We bought our first contract direct (a 60 point Poly contract) back in 2017. Back then that was enough to get the blue card. I'm not sure if I would do it now with the increased restrictions. We would probably just buy resale only.

We've got two contracts, both with Aulani, and both direct. Zero regrets. First contract was back when the minimum was still 50 points. Added on more a few months later on a cruise with several $$ incentives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter