• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those of you who use reusable shopping bags

I like the tote bags with long enough h and keys to do over the shoulder. I also carry two Target strawberry bags all the time.

If you’re going to do long handles, I would suggest sewing on two sets of handles, like Ikea bags have. Especially when grocery shopping, I prefer hand- carrying versus on my shoulder.

Tote style because I put them over my shoulder.
I also like the insulated ones that keep my stuff cold especially in summer when it’s scorching outside. I have a very nice insulated one from Costco.

Tote style for me as well! I like to be able to carry them over my shoulder.

Most of mine are like the picture in the post above this one. But I also have a few over-sized ones, which I really like for packing a lot of lighter items!

I have the same ones (in a constellation pattern) and I love them. They're huge, I can do a full grocery run once a week and get all of our groceries in them, and they are super strong.
And washable.

eta: One of the biggest reasons I like these is they fold into little self contained squares and can be thrown in your handbag or even your pocket. I specifically didn’t want tote bag style because then I’d have to figure out a way to store them. My daughter and I both have ours hanging from a carabiner on the coat hooks by the door.

Last edited:
Yes tote style like the pic above. I can see the need for the shopping style bags too an they are faster an easier to make but it's not always about faster an easier.

The tote bag straps are a pain to make and expensive to buy the strapping, when I looked yesterday local store had black, gray, and tan strapping tan was out of stock till the 31 of the month.
HMMMMMMMMMM I just had a brain wave as to how to make my own strapping in basic colors I could make it ahead have it ready to go on bags saving me time overall.

Like Walmart bags. Want to be able to tie them in a knot if I have to. The ones I have are long enough I can put them over my shoulder as well. I have these and like them a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG9576L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AH! Thank you!!! I have several bags very similar to this at home that I bought locally more than 10 years ago. They are starting to wear out, but the store hasn't carried them in years. I love these bags. We use them all the time.

I have loads like this, although not Winnie The Pooh:
snapshotimagehandler_1092920867.jpeg

Im surprised at how many people carry the tote bags over their shoulders. I have not once carried my bags that way. Having said that, tote style is nice. I hate bags that have the handles sewn on separately because they rip right off if its too heavy. (and no, i cant sew). :(

I like @tvguy idea about buying paper bags. Its true that it would keep items from flying around in the trunk.

Gusset at the bottom so the bag has structure. I prefer shoulder straps with an "X" reinforcement whether inserted between a seam or stitched on the exterior.

All my bags will have a gusset those with handles will have 2 handles front an back sewn all the way down front an back of bag.

I've made a few of the bags that fold up into the little pouch for your purse if I decide to make those I need to enlarge my pattern which really isn't a problem for me. I never carry a purse I find the bags with the pouch a pain in the butt to make but can see the call for them as well as the tote bags.

My regular shopping bags are very similar to the baggu's on amazon I also know how to make the pouch to fold the bag into the pouch for purse.

I have never carried bags on my shoulder, but handles do allow me to carry many bags at once. Often too many actually!

These are my favorite bags -- they have hooks on the two sides that allow them to "spread across" a grocery cart -- people are always asking me where I got them. I've had mine for years, and they're still in excellent condition.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reusable...MIi-3mwI3M5gIVFmKGCh18oAfBEAQYBCABEgJYpPD_BwE

As for the discussions above, I'll add these thoughts: If you're going to sell these bags, they have to be better than the ones that're available everywhere cheaply. So focus on GOOD features.
- My favorite bags are the ones that have two sets of handles -- one long for over-the-shoulder /one short for hand-carrying.
- Style the bags so they can fold flat -- preferably they'd be secured in a folded position. With velcro? With one of the handles?
- Yes to washable -- or at least easy to "wipe down".
- You want a bag that's big enough, but not so big that it's hard to lift when full.
- Consider a solid bottom (removeable?) that'd allow the bags to stand up on their own.
- Include a flat pocket that'll hold your wallet and/or phone while shopping. And another pocket for coupons.
- If you have Aldi's in your area, include a small "keep a quarter" pocket; it'd be nice if this pocket were secured with a bit of velcro.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter