For those that bring a DSLR...

Butterfly123

DIS Veteran
I'm curious what your favorite lenses are to use in the parks? I am planning on bringing the 18-55mm kit lens, and my 35mm f/1.8 for indoor shots. I am not planning on bringing any zoom lenses because my husband will have his camera that has plenty of zoom capabilities. I'd love some great fireworks shots, but not enough to lug my tripod and camp out for a great spot to use it.

So what lenses do you like to use?

We're going at Christmas and I'm thinking of taking my 18-270mm and my 35mm f/1.8. It's either that or just take one, my 17-55mm f/2.8 and pocket my Canon SX260HS for zoom. I'm just not sure if the f/2.8 will be sufficient for the indoor and night shots with our D90 (getting a bit long in the tooth compared to the D7100).

Not taking a zoom lens? But isn't the 18-55 a zoom? :confused3

Anyway, I regularly use an 18-200 zoom in the parks. Last week in DL and DCA I shot nearly 400 pictures. Something greater than 90% of them were in the 18-80 range.

Having the f1.8 lens for indoors use is a really good idea. Wish I had one.

You are right, it is a zoom. But it doesn't have a very far reach. I wasn't very accurate was I. But you get my point. :)

I take 1 lens per day and just try to plan for what I'll be using the most that day. It's not worth potentially dropping a lens (did that once, it was in a soft sided case, didn't save it) to get a picture when the priority is experiencing the parks, not taking pictures. I once tried to take a lens for fireworks and I was bumped by other guests so many times, it just wasn't worth the risk. Of course, having an AP changes the way I do things a little. I don't take a camera every time I go, either.

I've only brought my DLR once, but I will never go to DL without it again! I used the 17-70mm 2.8-4 this last trip and it was perfect.
I brought my prime 50mm 1.4 as well, but never used it. I also had my cheapo zoom lens (55-250mm 4.0-5.6) but that never left the hotel room.

While I LOVE my prime lens, the flexibility of the 17-70mm lens was best for me. I'm just an amateur photog though (if that has any bearing). I don't bring a tripod and take minimal photos after sunset.

This December I'm thinking of only bringing my 17-70mm

If I had the 17-70mm/f2.8 that is all I would bring, too. Clearly I am also an amateur, and frankly I hate messing around with changing lenses, especially in the parks.

I am a DL regular and mainly shoot character portraits and parades/shows. I usually only bring my 18-135, sometimes by 50mm 1.8 if I'm planning any indoor activities or fireworks.

I just bring my 18-55 lens. Good enough for point-and-shoot type photography. I'd prioritize enjoying the park over getting just the right picture. I think the rest of the party would also rather not wait for me to set up a photo just right. Forget about swapping lenses. Too cumbersome. May be best to just bring a 35mm prime and crop later.

I take all my lenses, every time. On my only (not for long!) trip to DL, it was so cold most of the time that I didn't like swapping lenses. I used my 30mm 1.4 most of the time and it was great for most of what I wanted. I did use my big zoom for Aladdin, the parade and Fantasmic.

I just bring my 18-55 lens. Good enough for point-and-shoot type photography. I'd prioritize enjoying the park over getting just the right picture. I think the rest of the party would also rather not wait for me to set up a photo just right. Forget about swapping lenses. Too cumbersome. May be best to just bring a 35mm prime and crop later.

Totally agree- don't let "photography" get in the way of enjoying the parks!!!

Your 18-55 will do the trick for most of what you want. I have contemplated purchasing a better lens with longer reach (e.g. 18-105). If I had that, I would never consider taking anything else.

I used my 50mm 1.4 at the Aladdin show and some of the shots turned out great. No way I could have done that with my 18-55. You will like having your 35mm 1.8 around.

I have a Canon t2i. I have brought my 55-250 kit lens a couple of times and aside from looking for a shot where I could really use it, I really didn't need it.

If you don't already have one, I recommend a lowepro topsider or something similar. My camera and kit lens drop right down into the case to keep the camera protected while on rides and in lines. Still accessible enough to grab for some pictures if I want, but most of the time I'm enjoying the ride. Also nice is the waterproof slip cover for rides like Splash and GRR. You still need to be careful as the cover doesn't provide 100% coverage, but it's close.

I remember this. No picture is any good if you don't have your camera ready to take it. I end up using my cell phone camera a lot because it is right there. The pictures are never as good as my dSLR, but they are more than passable for capturing the moment and the memories. Point being, take the most convenient lens (18-55 in your case) and don't worry about the picture quality so much. These aren't going on the cover of sports illustrated. Get the shot, move on, and enjoy the parks!

The Rebel 18-55 kit lens is a piece of junk.

I bring my 28-80 and a fixed 50mm 1.8. We got the 28-80 with a Canon Advantix camera (remember Advantix?) that we bought probably 12 years ago. Don't use the camera anymore, but the lens is GREAT! It wasn't the kit lens that came with the Advantix, but the camera store threw it in for free at the time.

One day I went just to take pictures especially of some of the tiny details and curiosities that Disney has to offer so I took a "nifty fifty" which is very fast and hast a nice depth of field, so I found myself taking some closeup shots of things like statues and hidden mickeys :D

I do need to invest in a good walk-around lens tho'

I primarily take my 28mm 1.8 prime. I've taken more lenses at the same time before, but found I enjoyed the park (and photography) more with less weight and less to deal with. I had to be more creative to get some of my shots (even had to sit on the floor at one point :thumbsup2) but it was worth it.

I took my 50mm 1.8 prime one day for Pirates of the Caribbean, and for World of Color I took my 14-24 2.8 because I didn't know what to expect and I wanted the flexibility of the zoom. For Fantasmic I would take my telephoto zoom (70-200mm 2.8) for the additional range.

I have a backpack that holds them all and a double stroller to put the backpack in. I also bought a $15 monopod from Amazon so that I don't have to bring the tripod.

These types of events are what I bought the camera for. I don't want to take the chance of not having the right equipment with me if I bought it already.

I have a 28mm 2.8 for dark rides, a 50mm 1.8, an 18-105mm, and a 55-300mm. I cant wait to test them all out, but changing lenses will not be a priority over family fun.

Depends on how I am touring the park that day. Most days I will have my small pro logic pack with my 24-105mm lens on the camera and a 50mm 1.4 and 10-20mm in tow. Usually there is enough time waiting in line to switch out lenses when going into a dark ride, never found it an issue.

When I am going solo I bring my full backpack and have a gorillapod and a 70-300 zoom (which I sometimes bring on a normal day for Aladdin or for some cool depth of field shots) in addition to the lenses above. Some days I will take the camera in during the morning and may leave it in the room for the evenings so I do make sure I am enjoying everything and not looking for that next shot.

The 35mm prime will be a spectacular all-around lens. The speed is great and you'll find that the focal length is near perfect for about 90% of your shots.

Lens switching is a minor issue for which there is plenty of time. Weight is a bigger issue. I brought a 70-300 and left it in the room bc I wasn't using it and it was getting heavy.

I bring my 50mm prime for indoors and fireworks.

Last time I brought my 10-20mm and never took it off my camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter