• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those who attended college, how did you get your acceptance/rejection?

US Mail - don't remember the size of the envelopes. but I only applied to 3 schools, one in-state and two privates and got into all three.

Older son, a freshman this year, like others, got an e-mail to check the portal, then follow up paperwork in the mail.

It's been a while, but if I can recall correctly, all rejection and acceptance letters came via postal mail. Single letter, business envelope, so nothing that distinguished whether it was one or the other. Upon acceptance, you'd get the information about class enrollment via postal (basic letter), with the website link whereby you can get the information online along with anything else you might need (directions to the college, the times and buildings to be in, etc).

College: business sized letter/envelope. Law school: 8.5 x 11 envelope, pretty thick. I knew before I opened it, I'd been admitted. Rejections came in smaller packages. :-D

Letters were mailed home. I don’t remember if they were big or small envelopes.
Job offers post college were similar. Letters via snail mail. Those rejection letters sucked.

Pretty sure I only applied to one. I just thought, "Well, this is where I want to go, so why apply anywhere else?" I did get in, and I did gradate from that school (although I went somewhere else for a while in the middle.)

When I applied to grad school I did apply to two and got a rejection letter in the mail. It was a semi-rejection, they offered me admission into another program they offered, but not into the one I wanted. It was weird.

Letter in the mail, I can't remember the size.

When my kids applied, they received an online response followed by a mailing.

I don't remember either. However, I was offered a (small) scholarship so it was pretty much a given that I was "in".

Got an email stating you are accepted, more to follow in the mail. Then got a business letter stating the same thing. About two weeks later I got a big supplement package with everything in it (housing, meal plans, what have you).
Exact same for me!

Regular envelope for me back in 1975.
For my kids who are 28 and 32, big manila envelope meant good news, regular envelope meant bad news.

Letter in the mail, I can't remember the size.

When my kids applied, they received an online response followed by a mailing.
:scratchin Interesting. When DS was waiting to hear this spring I found it kind of odd that there wasn’t an on-line communication system of some sort. Now I suspect there probably was but he was so demoralized by his two rejections (which came first) that he likely gave up checking notifications. I do know he was genuinely surprised (and thrilled) when the splashy acceptance package arrived.

Last edited:
I got mine on stone tablets.

Actually I got it by letter, but the pre-PC/Internet era feels so distant from this one, it might as well have been stone tablets.

In 1994 when I first went to college, I got my acceptance by mail

In 2009 when I went again, I got my acceptance by email, followed up by a regular letter.

DS19 got his in email in 2018

I applied to four colleges and was accepted at all of them. I think two sent packets in the mail while the other two just sent acceptance letters in a standard business envelope and additional information arrived separately later.

I was waiting in line with my husband for Splash Mt when my son phoned us in 2001 to share that he had been accepted into medical school! I immed phoned my Dad to share the news! I recall this special moment every Dec as I wait to board Splash Mt. That son is now 40 yrs old and a great ER doc!

In 1983, I applied to only one school. It’s in the city where I’ve always lived and I decided in 7th grade that I was going to go there. My
acceptance came in the form of a letter. A few months later, I was looking at an article that showed college acceptance rates. I found out that only 50% of applicants were accepted the year I applied. That might seem like a lot, but I realized I had a 50% chance of not getting into the only school I applied to.

Fast forward to 2017, my son got his acceptances in several ways. Some were huge packets that came in the mail. Some were emails directly from the department head in his major. Others were emails that said to check your portal. He’s a junior now. I’m glad the whole acceptance process is over!

Most of my acceptances and rejections were in regular US Mail a, mix of big and small envelopes.

I found out I got in to Annapolis (the US Naval Academy) in a phone call. I was home (I went to a boarding school for HS) for Easter, and our phone rang. There was a voice asking for me, saying that Senator Leahy (D-VT, who's still in office 27 years later) would like to speak with me. Many people admitted to the service academies are 'appointed' by members of congress, so they get to call you and tell you that you got in.

Side note: Annapolis didn't work out for me and I left during the first year.

Most of my acceptances and rejections were in regular US Mail a, mix of big and small envelopes.

I found out I got in to Annapolis (the US Naval Academy) in a phone call. I was home (I went to a boarding school for HS) for Easter, and our phone rang. There was a voice asking for me, saying that Senator Leahy (D-VT, who's still in office 27 years later) would like to speak with me. Many people admitted to the service academies are 'appointed' by members of congress, so they get to call you and tell you that you got in.

Side note: Annapolis didn't work out for me and I left during the first year.

I understand that all the service academies have an option to drop out in the first two years without penalty. But after that aren't dropouts (or even just those failing to graduate) required to pay a rather expensive bill because that's when commitment paperwork is signed?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/i...-bs-md-midshipman-payback-20140322-story.html
I remember someone from my HS got an appointment. She was all set to go until she couldn't pass the physical. For women the requirement was a single pulp, and she couldn't do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter