• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those with Cruises before May 31

We're on the 3/21 Fantasy sailing as well. Right now we're planning on going but I'll really be watching what happens this week. Thankfully we're booked on Southwest so I can change the flight. I booked through Costco so the biggest thought I'm dreading is having to call them and wait for them to get in touch with DCL if we end up canceling.

That’s a good question. My cruise in May has a ton of staterooms showing availability And the price hasn’t dropped. I doubt they will sell those rooms now.
Makes me wonder if DCL will offer upgrades to certain guests.

Just the other day, DCL released really cheap prices on upcoming cruises for Florida residents.
That's how they'll try to fill the ships.

as for the coronavirus - Italy is a better example, and what's scaring other countries to death.
The number of cases in Italy has exploded, completely swamping their medical system.
The numbers are quite remarkable there.
Italy is now number 2 in the world, after China.
And the day to day growth is exponential.
The number of confirmed cases went up today by a staggering 1,492 taking their total confirmed cases to 7,375.
And the deaths are climbing faster as well, increasing today by 133 for a total of 366.
In addition, Italy currently has a huge number of critical cases (650). Their system cannot handle it, nor could any system in any country.
There is reason to fear this disease.
In another year, it may be we'll look back and think we overreacted.
No way of knowing at this point.

Last edited:

We are supposed to cruise in 18 days and we are cancelling. There is absolutely no way I want to risk a quarantine - especially when nobody in any kind of authority is even sure how a quarantine should be handled.

We can still get 25% of our fare back if we cancel in the next 3 days. I’ve put off making the call because: 1) it’s too depressing and 2) I’ve been hoping DCL would extend the rebooking window beyond 12 months.

With the new State Department advisory, I wonder if we are going to see some more changes in cancellation policies. I’m going to hold off until precisely 15 days out. If nothing changes and it comes down to using 100% of what we’ve paid with a 12 month rebooking window or receiving a 25% refund, I’ll go with the refund and call it a day.

We are supposed to cruise in 18 days and we are cancelling. There is absolutely no way I want to risk a quarantine - especially when nobody in any kind of authority is even sure how a quarantine should be handled.

We can still get 25% of our fare back if we cancel in the next 3 days. I’ve put off making the call because: 1) it’s too depressing and 2) I’ve been hoping DCL would extend the rebooking window beyond 12 months.

With the new State Department advisory, I wonder if we are going to see some more changes in cancellation policies. I’m going to hold off until precisely 15 days out. If nothing changes and it comes down to using 100% of what we’ve paid with a 12 month rebooking window or receiving a 25% refund, I’ll go with the refund and call it a day.

so sorry you have to make this decision!
i would cancel as well, though i probably would do the 12 month rebooking thing.
Can you get any of the money back from insurance?

We are sailing on the Dream March 20, still planning on going. Just trying to plan for the worst case, for example what would happen to my rental car parked at the port if we were put in quarantine?
Good point...and we're in the same situation on the prior cruise. My guess is that you'll have overage charges, paying for an extra two weeks of the car...and probably two extra weeks of parking...

We are booked to sail on another line in December and I want to cancel now. Unfortunately, our deposit is non-refundable. I don't think anything could happen between now and then which will make me want to get on a cruise ship anytime soon.

We're in a holding pattern. Fantasy on April 28th. I figure we will wait another 30 days and make a decision sometime around the first/second week of April.

We're in a holding pattern. Fantasy on April 28th. I figure we will wait another 30 days and make a decision sometime around the first/second week of April.
Same here. I'm flying out on on April 30th and spending a few nights in Miami Beach & Marco Island. I figure now that Delta is offering to give me travel vouchers towards another flight and waive any fees etc. then I should be ok to wait it out another 30 days or so and make up my mind then.

We're lucky enough to be able to drive down, so the only thing a cancellation would cost me at most is the trip insurance and the one-night hotel room, which is cancellable up until the night before as well.

I agree that that doesn’t sound too bad (other than DD missing school). The problem is that after the Diamond Princess (as we are seeing happen now with Grand Princess) you would most be likely doing the 14 day quarantine on a military base or similar, not the ship.
Travis AFB it's an actual hotel. Not sure of the others.

as for the coronavirus - Italy is a better example, and what's scaring other countries to death.
The number of cases in Italy has exploded, completely swamping their medical system.
The numbers are quite remarkable there.
Italy is now number 2 in the world, after China.
And the day to day growth is exponential.
The number of confirmed cases went up today by a staggering 1,492 taking their total confirmed cases to 7,375.
And the deaths are climbing faster as well, increasing today by 133 for a total of 366.
In addition, Italy currently has a huge number of critical cases (650). Their system cannot handle it, nor could any system in any country.
There is reason to fear this disease.
In another year, it may be we'll look back and think we overreacted.
No way of knowing at this point.
I wonder though what the average age is in Italy who have it. Isn't Italy known for having a huge elderly population?

I wonder though what the average age is in Italy who have it. Isn't Italy known for having a huge elderly population?

Correct—I just read something from the BBC saying the average age for people who have died from coronavirus in Italy is 81, and most of them had underlying health issues. It also said the country has one of the world’s oldest populations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter