• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For us here Texans...U R A Texan if...

Simba's Mom said:
Although much of this part of Texas is more Mexico than Texas, #16 is especially true. Does anyone remember the movie/book "Friday Night Lights"? I remember reading it before we moved to Texas many years ago and thinking "Surely they're exagerating-it's not really that intense". The other night I saw the movie and thought "What's the big deal? They're making a movie out of an every day occurrence." People sleeping overnight outside the ticket booth for tickets to a high school football playoff game? I never would have believed it 15 years ago. Now I expect it to happen every year-and it does!

My oldest will be in HS next year, she told me that she doubted she'd go to the football games in HS just didn't see the point. I just :rotfl: , I think she'll change her mind next year. I told her this was TX and football games are just something everyone does.

TheOtherVillainess said:
You forgot one.
You are a Texan if you know that 'Bexar" is not pronounce "BECK-are" but "Bayer". :)

TOV

And Gruene is pronounced "GREEN"

LOL

If you're a Texan, you know that one of the US' most famous dance halls is located in Gruene,too.

And that Luckenbach is a fun place to go. :)

TOV

Texas is a state of mind.

Beautiful and grand are our mountains to the west. Serene and peaceful are our piney woods in the east. Beautiful rolling hills where the wildflowers seem painted across the land. "Miles and miles of oil wells" is not just a line in a song. Go to west Texas to San Angelo, Abilene, Midland and you'll see. We have many contrasts because we are so big. It can be snowing in Amarillo and in the 80s in Brownsville at the same time.

I love San Antonio's River Walk, Dallas' Galleria, Houston's Johnson Space Center, Corpus Christi's Aquarium. I love working in and around the State Capitol in Austin. The buzz and wheelings and dealings during the "Ledge" is exciting. I love going to the State History Museum and learning something new about our state.

No, I'm not a tour guide, but I could show you some great things about this fine state.

Sign me,

Texas Forever!

LOL!

I think that another one would be that if you'd rather go tubing in Concan rather than lay on the beach in Cancun. :rotfl:

Boston Tea Party said:
May I make an addition?

You think fajitas and margaritas are better than sex. :teeth:

Whoa Nelly! Im a Texan through and through but lets not get carried away :teeth:

This is all true for me also, I was born in Waco and have grown up in Houston. Thanks for making me laugh tonight. Oh, and give me one of those cokes, I mean Dr. Pepper's!

Plus, you know the difference between Nacogdoches and Natchitoches. And you can pronounce both of them and you know they don't rhyme.

TheOtherVillainess said:
You forgot one.
You are a Texan if you know that 'Bexar" is not pronounce "BECK-are" but "Bayer". :)

TOV

Actually it is Bare (or Bear).

I'm a native Texan, born and raised in Lamesa, TX. I bet not one of you can pronounce it correctly.

You not only have to plan your wedding around football season but also hunting season. I starting going to Gruene Hall when I was 6 years old, because only in Texas do they let you in dance halls if you are with a parent. I was made fun of in Los Angeles for the " what kind of coke do you want " question. You should have seen DH aka Yankee Boy, the first time his son said " I'll hold the door for y'all cause we're fixin ta go to the store".

TheOtherVillainess said:
You forgot one.

TOV
So funny. When I was first stationed at lackland,(Perm. party) there was a tornado warning going across the screen for Bexar county. And i was relieved that it wasn't in "Bear" county!!

ahhh yes... and a LOT of Texan's shop at the H.E.B.

When I first moved to Texas a number of us came to work for our company from out of state. The first day we were here one of the girls that moved here from NC with me asked what the Hebe was.... no one could figure it out... hahahahaha....

I was SO relieved she asked it - because that's what I called it in my head! :rotfl2:

phamton said:
Actually it is Bare (or Bear).

I'm a native Texan, born and raised in Lamesa, TX. I bet not one of you can pronounce it correctly.

I have family that lived in Lamesa and my mom grew up in Big Springs! Small world.

My grandmother grew up in Sachse.

Oh ,and Jenna, since you are familiar with Lamesa, do you know how to pronounce it?

Texan Mouseketeer said:
Is it not Luh - may - suh? That's how I always thought it was said...

That's how they pronounce La Mesa, California. But Lamesa, TX is only one word and although it does mean "the table" in Spanish, it is pronounced Luh-MEE-suh by the residents.

21. You've said "all y'all" to get a group's attention

22. say C-ment instead of cement

23. eaten whataburger (ok, so maybe not exactly tx but at least a southern state!

24. you hold open a door for 5 minutes so EVERYONE can walk through to be polite

25. you've said "y'all must be from Canada" and following up with "y'all talk rrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll fast!"

PS: I love texas! I'd go back in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter