??? for Vero Beach Veterans

BillM

Mouseketeer
Our DD and DSIL with children 15, 11 and 6 are heading for VB next month (10/7)for the first time.
She would like recommendations as to what specific kids programs to get the kids involved.
Also they would like to have an opinion of Shutters and any off site restaurants you would recommend. I've heard of Ocean Grill in Vero Beach and also a restaurant in Sebastian and would like to know the name of the latter.
Also where is the nearest Publix Super?

Thanks for your help.

Menus from all the local restaraunts are available at member services. Shutters is a great restaraunt. You'll also want to check out the Green Cabin room in the evenings for live music. They have games and milkshakes for the kids like checkers, candyland, etc, very kid friendly. The 6 year old will like the unbirthday party. There are voleyball tourneys, tennis and bike riding for the older kids, as well as meeting others. There seemed to be groups of teenagers coming together and meeting each other regularly when we were there for time in the pool and the ocean.

I believe they also have teen night out. They go to the mall and a movie or bowling....I am not sure where there is a Publix but there was a Super WalMart not too far from the resort and it had everything. The weekends are fun at the pool when they usually have a DJ to entertain.

The last time I was there the nearest Walmart was in Sebastian, around 8 miles and the nearest Publix was in VB out toward the Interstate also around 8-10 miles. I believe I read on this board that thre was now a Publix closer, about 4 miles up toward Sebastian.

I wonder if the restaurant your thinking about in Sebastian isn't Capt. Hirams, if so, there have been mixed review. Some really liked it and others didn't. Also add Mr. Manatee's and Jake Baker's Lobster Shanty which are in the same area as you get into VB about 8 miles away.

As to saving money, there are some tips. This area tends to have a lot of early bird specials. Also many of the restaurants will give you something for being a DVC member/staying at DVC VB. The usual are 10% off, free desert, free drink or similar options. We ate at Lobster Shanty for early bird which included a desert. They then gave us the free DVC desert to take now with us. I though the food and service were good and the value excellent. Not a bad view either. The books in the lobby with sample menus are great. Have your family take advantage of them.

Disney's DVC Resort is just fabulous and laid back. Actual ocean views from your room may be difficult to come by. There is a protective dune that makes seeing the ocean difficult except from the Cottages and most of the Inn rooms. If possible request is for Ocean VIEW or better yet as for a direct ocean view (yes, there is a difference). Note you will not see the ocean from the ground floor because of the dune.

DVC Vero has a nice pool area. At the beach you can rent umbrellas, beach chairs and jet ski They often have some fun things to do like nature watching ( manatees, dolphins and turtles), kayaking on the intercostals waterway( fishing and sight seeing), Mel Fisher's treasure museum looks an interesting half day, they run excursions to Kennedy Space Center, organized "teen nights out" where they take kids bowling or Pizza and a movie. I would suggest too call a few days in advance to check on their VB activities schedule. To find out what is schedule call Eb & Flo's (the activities location there) to make your reservation.

You might want to try to rent a bicycle and ride the "jungle trail" along the nearby river. It is a very old, unpaved road, with swamps, old orange groves, and new condominiums under construction. Beautiful views and very old Florida. Eb and Flos can give you a map and tell you how to find the trail.

One of the best places at VB resort is the Green Cabin Room on the upper level. We had dessert there one evening. They serve themed drinks, specialty coffees and their own micro brewed beer. Dinners in Shutters and the breakfasts are very good. Shutters has some less expensive selections than the other on site restaurant (Sonya's). Shutters serves Pizzas, Pasta entrees, seafood, steak, prime rib, meatloaf and Conch Fritters. Sonya's serves fine steaks and chops.

Around Town
One restaurant that is a favorite is The Patio. It is located in town, is reasonably priced and has fantastic fresh seafood.

The Ocean Grill right on the water in downtown Vero. It's not inexpensive but great food. Kids are certainly welcome but it may not be exactly the place for a family dinner. You might try asking for a window seat.

A recommendation for seafood would be Captain Hirams, Ocean Grill is pretty neat too. Be sure to ask for a seat near the windows to gaze upon the ocean during your meal. Both are short driving distances but Capt Hirams is a little farther (Sebastain), both restaurants are on the map they give you at check-in. Capt Hirams is a more casual restaurant and it seems a place the locals go too. Vero Resort has a big black binder near the DVC area that has all the local restaurants and menus.

The Mall is close by and has movie theaters. Also, you will find less expensive dinner choices around and in the Mall. You can do some window shopping at the Mall or take the tour of the Piper Aircraft factory (Tuesdays and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. and 2 p.m., Reservations Required, Dial (561) 567-4361 & press #5 or x2499).

:cool: :smooth:

I recommend a meal at Mr. Manatee's (407) 569-9151 30 Royal Palm Blvd., Vero Beach -- Good for kids, a very informal family restaurant.

We liked both of the onsite restaurants at Disney's Vero Beach very much. They were not as pricey as WDW, but the quality and service was just as good. We have special needs kids and they treated us like gold, which is something that we don't always experience at nice restaurants... we were warmly welcomed and accomodated. The snack bar by the pool was also quite nice. :) And room service was perfect for that one morning when we just needed time to ourselves.

There are tons of kid activities... you will have a nice time.

If you are there on a Thursday, you may want to go kayaking on the Indian River. A place to try in VB (if you like barb-b-que stuff and other casual type food) is Bono's.

I can't remember the exact directions but the Publix locations can be found at this site: http://www.publix.com Ask at the front desk they will direct you.
There is a small pizza place at the left of the resort at the intersection as you face the resort - in case you decide to eat in. Try Kennedy Space Center - about an hour and a half north of Vero. Good Luck - Have a good vacation! WE were there last June for 6 nights.

we ere in VB last March and a new Publix was under construction just 5 minutes away. I would check at the front desk.

Ocean Grill Was ok but we really Liked Capt Hiram's and Fins Which is in the next marina North from Capt Hiram's was very good The oak grilled scallops wrapped in bacon was great.

Another vote for Jack BAkers Lob shack, also if you like Mexican Hirmana's on the US1 is excellent ( about 5 minutes drive from DVC Vero North of the junction with the road to the resort)

Activities teen trip to KSC , Kayaking and a lot of nature watch activities.

Dean is right - the new Publix is up US 1 (go west over the bridge just north of the resort and then right on US 1 towars Sebastian - the Publix is on the left about 4-5 miles up - Capt. Hirams is on the right, about 8 miles up - the food was good at Capt. Hirams - nothing really special, but a great atmosphere, looking over the intercoastal and all the boats at the docks - has anyone tried the restaurant just north of Capt. Hiram's, out on a dock on its own? (you can see it from Capt. Hiram's). We love the food at Shutters. If you go for breakfast, order at least one "Healthy Floridian" just for the great fruit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter