Formal Attire to California Grill

It's over the top. And I think it's fun. After 40 years, you deserve it. Go for it!

Wear what you like. I've seen everything from suits to park attire.
We normally dress up with dress slacks and a collared shirt, but that's our choice.

Better that by far, IMO, than the man wearing chinos, sandals and a particularly gaudy Hawaiian shirt we saw there last trip.
I am surprised at that. They are very insistent on dress code on the two recent visits we've had there. Can't have seen that outfit getting past the dress code monitor we had on both occasions.

We were there the Friday before Mother's Day and were somewhat surprised to see someone dressed that casually.

The Signature dress code has been reduced to nearly non-existent, so perhaps V&A's has been pressured to be less strict with theirs.

As we were saying to each other, a Michelin reviewer might not look kindly upon such casual attire being allowed.

We both thought it boorish of the man to arrive dressed so casually but then thought perhaps there were extenuating circumstances. The others in his party were suitably dressed, making the contrast that much more displeasing. It was puzzling.

We were there the Friday before Mother's Day and were somewhat surprised to see someone dressed that casually.

The Signature dress code has been reduced to nearly non-existent, so perhaps V&A's has been pressured to be less strict with theirs.

As we were saying to each other, a Michelin reviewer might not look kindly upon such casual attire being allowed.

We both thought it boorish of the man to arrive dressed so casually but then thought perhaps there were extenuating circumstances. The others in his party were suitably dressed, making the contrast that much more displeasing. It was puzzling.
True. We never know what's behind it. At least it's the exception and not the rule...so far.

DH and I are casual people-it wouldn’t be our thing, but that’s us. We ate at Narcoossee’s for my 60th bday last year, he wore a shirt with buttons which is as dressed up as we get these days. You do you!

I say do it, and throw on a tiara while you’re at it! No such thing as over the top at Disney!

Lots of 1 star and 2 star Michelin restaurants are casual (especially outside the US) so I wouldn't worry about the Michelin Guide reviewers. I frequent 3 Star Michelin restaurants a few times a year and while some have dress codes asking men for a sport coat, many more are allowing smart casual or less. Post-2020, people don't dress up like they used to.

That said, have the best time dressing up at the California Grill! What a great experience and celebration.

As my husband always says, better be overdressed than underdressed! Make it a grand night for your celebration! Not that many people can celebrate 40 yrs! Congrats! 🎉

Pre-pandemic, V&A had jackets available for gentlemen who didn't have one upon entering the restaurant. I'm sure they got rid of that because of covid. We only dined there once, but had witnessed CMs giving a gentleman a jacket before they got seated. He was shocked that they had such rules. Obviously, he didn't care enough to even look up their dress code. I'm disappointed that they had relaxed the dress code though, sandals and Hawaiian shirt?!? No....absolutely not.

I think it sounds fun. Just know that other diners won't be soi dressed up, but, hey, that's part of the fun too. I bet you'll get all kinds of attention!

Do it! We were dressed up for our 20th anniversary in the fall (think white gown, and husband in suit with bow tie) for V & A....but we stopped along the way for cocktails at Poly and Citricos, and everyone was loving our outfits....even asked if we had just gotten married. It made for a fun night. We always dress up at all the signatures, but we enjoy it! Go for it!!

First….a very happy anniversary to you and your wife.

Second….I love dressing up and I wish more people did it. I think you should definitely get all dressed up - very classy and a great memory for you both :goodvibes

Happy Aniversary!!! While most do not dress up for dinner there, you should do what makes you happy and who cares about what anyone else thinks. DO IT. You may get many people wishing you the best.

Sounds awesome and fun! Why not?! As long as you don't mind the people next to you is shorts and tee-shirts, go for it! Happy Anniversary!
No one complains about people being under dressed so I don't see why anyone would complain about people being slightly over dressed. Enjoy!

We were just there for dinner last Friday - it was a definite mix of groups dressed for a classy night out, and those that had on theme park gear. We always change into some nice dresses/button ups/pants. The price to me warrants a nice outfit!

Our meal was absolutely fabulous, by the way.

We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary during our November trip to WDW.
We are planning dinner at the California Grill on November 12th (Our actual Anniversary date).

I am wondering you all think about wearing Black Tie for that dinner?
Is it over the top?
Or do you think it would be fun?

I am working on convincing my spouse that it is a good idea, so any thought would be appreciated.
Doesn't matter what any of us think. Only matters what you and your spouse think.

Just know that possibly everyone else will be dressed much more casually, and you will draw attention to yourselves. But if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

We will be celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary during our November trip to WDW.
We are planning dinner at the California Grill on November 12th (Our actual Anniversary date).

I am wondering you all think about wearing Black Tie for that dinner?
Is it over the top?
Or do you think it would be fun?

I am working on convincing my spouse that it is a good idea, so any thought would be appreciated.
over the top but who cares it is your celebration

I realize black tie is on a different level, but I enjoy dressing for dinner.
Call me old fashion, but I don’t like park attire in the signatures. And guys wearing hats??? No.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter