Formal Night/Captain’s Reception Wear?

My first cruise, dinner was a 12 course, 3 1/2 hour production. One seating at 6 pm, no room service, no alternate dining options (other than the nightly Midnight buffet)
When I read "Midnight buffet" all I could think of was they lyric from "Cabin Fever" in Muppet Treasure Island, "and margaritas at the midnight buffet"

When I read "Midnight buffet" all I could think of was they lyric from "Cabin Fever" in Muppet Treasure Island, "and margaritas at the midnight buffet"
No familiar with that.......and a Google search turned up a whole lot of links I'm not clicking on!!!!!

But back to the point, my first cruise had a midnight buffet, and it was packed and the Night Club on board didn't even open until 1:30 am. That wouldn't work on a Disney Cruise!

No familiar with that.......and a Google search turned up a whole lot of links I'm not clicking on!!!!!

But back to the point, my first cruise had a midnight buffet, and it was packed and the Night Club on board didn't even open until 1:30 am. That wouldn't work on a Disney Cruise!
Remember the ice sculptures, floral arrangements, and carved fruit? That time is long gone on most, if not all, cruise ships.

Remember the ice sculptures, floral arrangements, and carved fruit? That time is long gone on most, if not all, cruise ships.
I remember them well. But HAL still had ice sculptures set up in the main dining room last time we cruised with them.

I do and always appreciated the extra touches. I don't know why they don't still do it. Many were just stored and reused from cruise to cruise. Also the ice sculptures, I was told, were molds. They just filled with water and froze. So little effort for an impressive table.

I do and always appreciated the extra touches. I don't know why they don't still do it. Many were just stored and reused from cruise to cruise. Also the ice sculptures, I was told, were molds. They just filled with water and froze. So little effort for an impressive table.
On my NCL cruise to Canada last month, they were doing an ice carving on the pool deck. Pretty wild.

Hi!
I’m going on my first ever 7-night cruise with DCL next year [LP Inaugural on the Fantasy!], and was wondering about formal night. How formal does formal night get? Is it a floor-length dress night, or more of a church-clothes type deal?
My family and I will be on that cruise with you. We will likely be in gowns and tux.
My totally unscientific theory seems to be that the more repeat cruisers, the more formalwear. Also, the longer the cruise, the more formal (which is weird because I'd think people would want to pack less).

Also, while there are always people who run the gamut of formal to casual, if you're in the atrium before dinner on formal night, it's going to SEEM like everyone is dressed formally (because they're all getting pics taken).

That said, I've never worn anything more fancy than a summery dress. That's formal for me because I'm not in sweats.
I think your theory is likely correct. There will be a ton of Pearl and Platinum cruisers on the ship who are used to getting dressed up. But certainly there will be plenty of folks who are not interested in that.

My family and I will be on that cruise with you. We will likely be in gowns and tux.

I think your theory is likely correct. There will be a ton of Pearl and Platinum cruisers on the ship who are used to getting dressed up. But certainly there will be plenty of folks who are not interested in that.
Maybe or they may have enough pictures and dress up enough at home. On a typical cruise they may be glad to not pack and carry the extra clothes.

If I was on that cruise and any other I’d be in a long gown. I never get a chance to dress up back home so it’s lovely change.
I must admit I found Princess dressier that DCL.

We always dress up a little for dinner. But for formal night, my hubby usually saves his nice button up and linen pants and my daughter and I will wear longer dresses (not formal). We are West Coast people, so dressing up is dresses, not formal gowns. lol

For us it’s a long dress for the ladies, a sports jacket and dress shirt with maybe a tie and some dress slacks for the gents.

If we were doing a large group of people with us, I could see the tux and gowns route being fun, but for a family of 3-4 it just doesn’t seem worth the effort to us.

As people said, you will see everything. I love to get dressed up on cruises so I wear a dress or jumpsuit every night. For formal night I often go with sequins. It is fun for me.

We enjoy formal and semi-formal nights as an opportunity to dress up. But as stated, you will see a full range of people ignoring it to formal clothing. On our last 7 night, I was in a tuxedo but the only other male passengers I saw dressed up in any manner were 8 year old boys who had done the Prince makeovers.

You will see it all! And I love it. Everyone gets to do what is comfortable. I dress every night for dinner- sometimes formal, sometimes more casual-but I enjoy it. Do what makes you happy and don;t worry about it!

I used to pack the long gowns and enjoy playing dress-up, but cruises are more casual now, possibly due to so many airlines charging for luggage, and people just like to be casual on vacation. Anyway, I began to feel out of place and overdressed, so now I wear a dress or nice slacks with a dressy blouse or sweater, and leave the gowns at home.

One exception would be a Christmas cruise -- families tend to dress up more for a professional photo op in their holiday finery, preferably before dinner when their clothes are still clean and not as tight-fitting.

We enjoy formal and semi-formal nights as an opportunity to dress up. But as stated, you will see a full range of people ignoring it to formal clothing. On our last 7 night, I was in a tuxedo but the only other male passengers I saw dressed up in any manner were 8 year old boys who had done the Prince makeovers.
This was me on my last cruise on the Dream. After the show, I'm pretty sure another guest mistook me for a cast member and congratulated me on the performance. So I took a bow and moved on.

One exception would be a Christmas cruise -- families tend to dress up more for a professional photo op in their holiday finery, preferably before dinner when their clothes are still clean and not as tight-fitting.
I can't say all Halloween cruises, but the cruise over Halloween had tons of people dressed up for formal night, Halloween, semi-formal, and pirate. Most I've ever really seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter