Formal/Semi Formal night on European cruises?

disneymomto5

DIS Veteran
We're going on the British Isles Cruise and due to limited luggage, my husband wants to forgo bringing a suit for formal and semi formal night. For those of you that have been on the European cruises do you think alot of people dress up or is it a mix like on the Caribbean cruises?

Well, I haven't done the British Isles cruise, but I was on the Med cruise a couple weeks ago and I didn't see anyone dress up. With the long port days, it just feels like "too much."

We are on the British Isles cruise on 9/2 (assuming this is the one you are talking about). We aren't bringing anything terribly formal either to try to conserve space in the luggage. Hubby is bringing a dresser pair of pants and shirts but no suits for him. I'm taking a skirt/blouse combo and a light weight dress which I figure will cover these nights. I agree - with the long port days, it will be too much. My guess is we won't be the only ones that aren't dressing to the 9s.

We did the British Isle cruise last summer and my husband wore dress shirt and dress pants and he was fine. There were a lot of people who wore very formal attire, while others were just dressed up. I don't think it was like a Caribbean cruise since I don't recall seeing anyone in shorts, but I really wasn't looking. It did seem that most did make an effort to get a little dressed up, but I believe most were not in suits/formal attire during both nights.

We're going on the British Isles Cruise and due to limited luggage, my husband wants to forgo bringing a suit for formal and semi formal night. For those of you that have been on the European cruises do you think alot of people dress up or is it a mix like on the Caribbean cruises?
To tell the truth. DCL doesn't force anyone to dress formal or semi-formal on those nights. As many have pointed out the "dress code" for any given night is the "suggested dress" for the evening, and unfortunately, DCL seems to let everyone get away with wearing, pretty much, whatever they want on any night. Except for the "no swimwear or tank tops at dinner" thing, you're free to dress as you wish.

Norway/Iceland/Scotland 2015 for us and I have to say that it seemed to be more formal than I have seen on almost all of our other Disney cruises, except the WBPC. We had Tux and suit for the boys and DW had nice dresses, but that is our choice.

On our recent 10 night Med cruise, we only had a formal night on the first sea day. No semi-formal night. My DH just brought a nicer pair of slacks and a long sleeve button up shirt.

We're going on the one next week. DH is packing dress pants and shirt and a jacket. He will have a tie, but not sure if he will wear it for formal night. From our cruise group (limited but quite large sample) it seems like most people aren't planning to go too formal since it's just too much stuff to cram into the suitcases.

My family likes to dress up and I brought my tux for the Med cruise. I wasn't the only one, but it was definitely more subdued than on a typical Caribbean cruise. Actually on any given night, you might not be able to tell what the evening's dress was supposed to be just by looking around. With some families always casual, some always dressed slightly up for dinner, and others with Palo reservations, there was a mix each and every night.

While there is always a mix, I found that both Med cruises and our Baltic cruise had a higher proportion of people dressed up and a higher proportion of those very dressed up compared to Caribbean cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter