Fort Myers in April

Corbin3

Mouseketeer
Is the weather warm enough the first couple of weeks in April to swim? My DS 8 wants to go on a beach vacation and I was considering going to Fort Myers as our airport has direct flights. Any advice on budget but nice places to stay?

Yes, the water is warm there in April, but you'll pay for that. We did it a few years ago as a "last trip before the new baby" Spring Break, and we found that the lodging prices were quite high for that time of year.

It will definately be warm enough to swim. DOn't really know about places to stay, we stay at my inlaws on Pine Island and then drive to Ft. Myers beach. But the town of CapeCOrral is right there so if you don't want to pay for beach distance try that town, very nice and only maybe 15-20 minutes to beach...

Due to our unseasonably cooler temps this winter, current water temp off Fort Myers Beach is about 65 degrees. We do have some warm temps coming, so expect water temps in the low to mid 70's for early April.

Yes, the water is warm there in April, but you'll pay for that. We did it a few years ago as a "last trip before the new baby" Spring Break, and we found that the lodging prices were quite high for that time of year.

Actually that is our high season, so that is the norm for the hotel prices. If you came here in the dead of the summer, you will find cheaper rates. Our high season is Winter & Spring. Ft Myers Beach is a large crowd attraction with the college students for their "Spring Break". Since college Spring Break dates vary, our season remains high until usually after Easter. So depending on when Easter is, that is when our rates start to decline.. hope this makes sense to you..

By the way, I agree the rates are high, especially compared to Disney, but like I said, that is the norm here. We also have many Europeans that come and actually rent homes for the entire season.. some home are rented out on a week to week basis, that can be an option for some who want to stay here for a week or so. Just do a search on the internet & real estate agencies will pop up. :goodvibes

Our weather is usually very nice & swim-able in April. Even with these chillier temps this year, it is still swim-able for those of you from us north. For us who live here year round... it's too cold :scared1:

Here is a link to our local paper.. they have been showing pics of all spring breakers at the beach.. You can also keep updated on our real weather
www.news-press.com

Actually that is our high season, so that is the norm for the hotel prices. If you came here in the dead of the summer, you will find cheaper rates. Our high season is Winter & Spring. Ft Myers Beach is a large crowd attraction with the college students for their "Spring Break". Since college Spring Break dates vary, our season remains high until usually after Easter. So depending on when Easter is, that is when our rates start to decline.. hope this makes sense to you..

By the way, I agree the rates are high, especially compared to Disney, but like I said, that is the norm here. We also have many Europeans that come and actually rent homes for the entire season.. some home are rented out on a week to week basis, that can be an option for some who want to stay here for a week or so. Just do a search on the internet & real estate agencies will pop up. :goodvibes

I agree entirely -- it IS high season, so there is a price to pay for that scarce warm(ish ;) ) water. I didn't mean that the prices were surprisingly high for Ft. Myers, just that they were highest at that time of year. The further south in Florida you go, the higher the prices get for beach accomodation. (We normally don't come that early in the year, so we usually go to beaches further north, which are on the whole less expensive than the Ft. Myers area.)

As to staying in Cape Coral; isn't that problematic with the bridges during Spring Break season? When we were there the traffic coming over the bridges was HORRENDOUS for daytrippers coming from the mainland (not so bad if you were going against it.) Anytime we went near the bridges in the morning they appeared to be bumper-to-bumper, and parking seemed very scarce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter