• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Wilderness vs. Port Orleans Riverside

abish19

Mouseketeer
A friend and her family (DH, DS10, DD8, DD4) are traveling to WDW early next year and currently have reservations at FW. They plan to stay in their small pop-up camper, for 8 days and 9 nights.

This is their first trip to WDW. Because they'll be traveling in Feb., the weather can vary considerably, especially at night (they will have a small space heater in case the nights become too cold).

My friend's DH wants to upgrade to POR (in the Alligator Bayou section), even though it would be almost $1000 more, because he wants to be able to relax, use the bathroom without walking any distance, watch TV, etc. Both of them are big campers and very outdoorsy people; however, he feels that since it's their first trip it should be as uncomplicated as possible. My friend is concerned largely about the cost.

They will be driving and towing the camper from Michigan.

I've stayed at POR and enjoyed it; thus, I recommended that they upgrade. The "going to the bathroom in the middle of the night" issue would be enough for me.

But has anyone stayed at FW and enjoyed it, or stayed at both resorts and make a comparison? My only stay at FW was when I was a baby...no help there!

What would you advise?

Thanks in advance!

Can't really comment on the camping bit (I guess they must enjoy it as they've got a camper, but it's not really my idea of a WDW stay!) but what about a cabin at FW, which would give them the best of both worlds (including a toilet)?

Thinking about it, might be more expensive than POR though. Of the values/moderates, POR Alligator Bayou would be the closest in theming to Fort Wilderness, but in a very much more 'civilised' :) way.

Andre

Hello~
I just cant imagine camping for my WDW stay! I have really close friends that travel all over to camp and they just went to WDW for their first time 2 weeks ago and chose to stay at a resort even though it could have saved them a lot of money. I've stayed at FW cabins three times and loved them, probably are more then POR though so thats probably their best bet. It could definitely be chilly too! Upgrade haha! THey'll have fun regardless though I'm sure!

Last December we stayed in a cabin (It was below 40 and that's like 20 anywhere else). It was nice, but the bussing was terrible. We ended up driving. We stayed 1 night at the All-Star and bought the drink cup. There is no place at Fort Wilderness to refill. We ended up driving over to Port Orleans to eat, drink and sometimes park to catch a bus. Next time we are staying at the Riverside.

Friends (2 adults - 2 teens) stayed @ POR (& loved it) 2 yrs. ago in August & drove their camper down this past August & stayed @ Fort Wilderness. I think he he was crazy - the price of diesel (his truck) was really pricey! He drove from western NY state - I think he could have flown for what he spent on 4 days travel, fuel, time. He had camped a couple of times when he was growing up @ Disney but....the one thing he didn't like was the transportation thing....not good. Was a long way to bus stops @ FW - it seems that Disney wants you to spend $50/day to rent golf carts, then park & lock near the bus stops. Also he went the week it was FL residents week right before FL schools opened & said it was really hot & crowded. In 2 yrs. they will go again, but the last week in Aug. & hope for free dining like the first year they went. Also, we love Port Riverside...:)

The cabins may cost a little more than POR, but they'll have a full kitchen and can make some of their own meals, which I assume they planned on doing in the camper. So that cost savings alone may be worth it. Plus if they're not pulling a camper they'll save on gas.

My family has stayed in the cabins a few times and it's one of our favorite places. Since they'll have their own car, transportation shouldn't be an issue.

We stayed in the AB section of POR this past Spring with DD 4 and DS 1.5 and loved it, but it really depends on the interests of the family. I would say that the advantages and disadvantages of it are:

Pro:
- Fun CS food court
- Beautifully landscaped property
- Relatively easy and fast bus connections to the parks and boat to DD
- Great playground and pool area on the central "island"

Con:
- Can be a decent walk from the end of AB to the center (Boatwright's, etc.) probably not as bad as some of the FW campsites, though!
- No on-site character or entertainment dining (there is an awesome piano player, but nothing like HDDR)
- Very, very few activities for kids - they have an arcade, and *sometimes* a campfire (2x/week?), but nothing like the full slate of activities that seem to constantly be going on at FW - the pools are the main attraction for kids at POR, and it might be too cold to take advantage of them

I like to camp, but am not an *enthusiastic* camper, so I don't think that I could ever do FW outside of a cabin. Those cabins can be expensive, though - for our upcoming trip in December, we were able to get a standard room in WL for less than a cabin in FW (not an option for your friends, though, I guess since they are 5 in a family). The FW cabins cost 1.8 times what a POR-AB room did. That price differential may vary quite a bit by season, though.

My friend is concerned largely about the cost.

They will be driving and towing the camper from Michigan.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, make sure your friends are considering all of the factors. I'm not sure exactly how far Florida is from Michigan, but for me in Texas it was about the same cost to get a room as it was to camp... YEP..that's true. Actually I priced out 2 rooms at a value during free dining, 2 rooms at a value at 40 percent off with my pin, and camping with our trailer. They were all about the same price when I included eating and everything. Example: Gas for the 1,000 mile trip with the trailer would cost about 4 dollars a gallon. We get 10 miles per gallon. So it was 400 dollars each way. Add about 50 dollars of driving around and you get 850 dollars for us to drive the camper. Plus, it takes longer than driving our oddessy so we would have to stay one night and spend much more time driving. So add that cost in as well. Compare that to driving our Honda Oddesey that gets 25 MPG on the highway with 3 dollar gas and you get 120 dollars each way. I budgeted 350 dollars for gas and we actually spent more like a little over 300. Plus, it was much faster than pulling the trailer. The 500 dollars plus food and an extra night stay each way more than made up the difference in cost for us to just stay in a hotel. If you are closer, it is a better deal, but coming from so far away made driving our regular car better.

Christine

Thanks for your good advice!

I will point out to them the difference in gas costs between driving their van only versus a van towing a camper.

Like I said - no bathroom does it for me!

One more factor: They will not likely return for several years for a few different reasons. My husband recommended that they go for POR for that factor alone - it isn't like they have to budget this for every year or every other year, as we do :)

They probably will not rent a cabin, as it costs even more than POR. They planned to have some meals at their campsite, but not many, as they are on the Disney Dining Plan. They could eat cereal, etc. at their hotel room at POR should they choose to go that way.

Thanks again!

dh, dd, and i recently went camping at FW in august with my father in his airstream. we had only stayed at AKL, WL, and BWI before this trip. it was QUITE different and i have to say i didn't feel any of the disney magic at that resort. it was after fay so it was wet everywhere and the mosquitos were multiplying by the second. i think if it were maybe around the holidays when the weather is cooler it would be more enjoyable. since it was very wet we also didn't get to enjoy the bonfire with chip and dale..something we wanted to take DD to. while we did have a good time of family bonding it wasn't a very relaxing vacation...even though my father's camper has air conditioning, flatscreen tvs, hot shower..etc.. a small space, is well, a small space. i read in someone else's post that there wasn't anywhere for their refillable mug...there actually is one place we found. it's at the quick service restaurant next to the hoop-dee-doo. the coffee wasn't the same or as good as the other disney resorts we've stayed at, but you can certainly refill soda, coffee, and tea. i can't compare POR yet b/c i haven't stayed there to date...BUT we are heading to POR this sunday for a 3 night stay so i can update you!

I have done both PO and FW. I will say as far as campgrounds go it is beautiful but...I'd rather stay at PO! It is a more Disney atmosphere and you have a bathroom and a shower inside your room. The buses are better and I think the staff are friendlier. JMO

BUT we are heading to POR this sunday for a 3 night stay so i can update you!

That's what I hate about these boards, there's always someone going in the next few days. And crucially, it's not me. :sad1:

Anyway, when I get over my little fit of jealousy ;) I hope you have a great time at POR, and don't forget to come back and tell us all about it.

Andre

PixieDustLove - I think you'll enjoy POR! Our family has stayed there three times and always liked it. It's somewhat spread out, but no more so than Fort Wilderness, I imagine. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

PixieDustLove - I think you'll enjoy POR! Our family has stayed there three times and always liked it. It's somewhat spread out, but no more so than Fort Wilderness, I imagine. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

was there a section that you prefer? or better yet...i'm really curious about which room decor you prefer? alligator bayou rustic or the formal mansions?

That's what I hate about these boards, there's always someone going in the next few days. And crucially, it's not me. :sad1:

Anyway, when I get over my little fit of jealousy ;) I hope you have a great time at POR, and don't forget to come back and tell us all about it.

Andre

our family only lives 3 hours from the mouse so we fortunately get to take many small trips throughout the year. i will update! oh and i'm trying to tally up as many opinions as i can get.. i'm torn on which room decor i'll like better...do you have a preference?? i know it's only a request but i still like to put it in with a CM. i'm thinking i like how rustic the rooms in the AB section look, but DH thinks the mansions are charming....what to do??

our family only lives 3 hours from the mouse so we fortunately get to take many small trips throughout the year.

Still not helping... :)

i will update! oh and i'm trying to tally up as many opinions as i can get.. i'm torn on which room decor i'll like better...do you have a preference?? i know it's only a request but i still like to put it in with a CM. i'm thinking i like how rustic the rooms in the AB section look, but DH thinks the mansions are charming....what to do??

Tricky one. Personally I prefer AB - but I suspect largely for the great location of buildings 14,18,27 etc. If asked to choose between a nice water-view room right at the front of Parterre Place or Oak Manor next to the bridge, or a far-flung parking lot view in building 37, I think I'd go with the mansions. Honestly, you'll be fine with either location though.

Another factor to consider is that many people seem to end up preferring whichever section they happened to first stay in.

Andre

I think I would be most concerned about travel weather especially towing a camper. We were going to camp this past Sept/Oct, and with the gas costs and the cost for our Value (ended up being free dining to boot) we decided to just stay at the value. With gas and extra driving time alone, we felt it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't chance driving from MI to FL in Feb. That's just my thoughts. The 1000 might not be 1000 when everything is factored in.

I'd take POR over a camper at Ft. Wilderness.
I'd take a Fort Wilderness cabin over POR.

PixieDustLove - I've only stayed in the Mansion sections, so I can't compare...but I really loved those rooms. They seemed very well-decorated, upscale, and romantic. The landscaping in the AB section is very much more lush but a little less "manicured," if that can be said about any of Disney World's grounds!

I don't think my friend's family will be staying in a cabin, as that is even more $$$ than a room at POR. After factoring everything in, it could be less expensive than they thought.

PLUS - if this is their "big family vacation" for some time, I say go for it.

Love everybody's responses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter