Forum/Budget Board for saving money at Disney?

Elvis1515

Mouseketeer
I love the Disboards and have learned a ton from all the threads.

Each year, it seems harder to save and stay on budget while you are at Disney.

Is there a topic that is primarily for saving money while you are at Disney? Is there a budget board for only Disney Parks and resorts? Or is there a topic that includes great ideas to save at Disney?

The budget board is great and it would be great to have another forum for just Disney budget ideas.

I would love to read about all the ways to save and spend less at Disney Parks and the resorts. I would love a budget board just for Disney.

Anyone else interested?

I've never seen a dedicated thread. I've seen many threads started by people asking how to save money. Most threads seem to digress and go off topic so you have to skim through to get the good information. Would I like to see it? Of course. Maybe if the threads were separated by category like souvineers, dining, accommodations and so forth.

ohboy, you hit upon my pet peeve. When I found the Disboards 10 years ago (wow! 10 years!), THIS board was exactly that...how to save money at Disney. It has since become a general budget board==which is ok, imo, if off track. What I DO have an issue with is the many, many totally budget-unrelated threads---pregnant 20 yr olds, should i take another job, dogs with cushings disease, how my SIL spends her inheritance--things that belong on a community board rather than a budget focused board...those irritate me. I mean, really,whose businss is it if my SIL spends her whole inheritance foolishly and ends up on welfare???

Ok, im off my soapbox. You may go on with your day now.

The board evolved because there simply aren't as many ways to save money at WDW as there used to be. Also, alot of the posters here have been around awhile and there aren't any NEW tips. The things I can think of are:

Eat breakfast in your room
Eat counter service instead of table service meals
Have breakfast in your room
Bring snacks with you
The more days you buy on your tickets, the better a deal they are
Staying off site may save money, might not
Bring your own stroller or rent one from an outside company if you need one
Bring your own water bottles into the park and refill at water fountains
Or get cups of water/ice at counter service places, it's free
Buy your own misting fans, light up toys, etc. before you go
Pretty much anything you might need, try to bring it with you or you'll spend more (sunscreen, batteries, etc.)
Walmart for cheaper souvies
Shop for souveniers at the end of your trip after you've had a chance to see what all there is
Split meals

If you have a specific question about an area to save money in or want to post your budget/ details of your trip (like where you're staying, how many people going, driving or flying, etc.) various posters will be happy to see if there's any way they can get it cheaper for you.

Personally, I would rather see new posts with the same questions over and over, than have to scroll though thousands of pages of post trying to find the one gem that applies to my situation. Call me lazy, but I don't have that kind of time. The kids like to eat and all:p

So yes, I would like to see the board or a board with Disney specific questions, where no one is allowed to say "we've talked about this before" or "scroll through these 10,000 posts and see if maybe this applies to you."

Personally, I would rather see new posts with the same questions over and over, than have to scroll though thousands of pages of post trying to find the one gem that applies to my situation. Call me lazy, but I don't have that kind of time. The kids like to eat and all:p

So yes, I would like to see the board or a board with Disney specific questions, where no one is allowed to say "we've talked about this before" or "scroll through these 10,000 posts and see if maybe this applies to you."

The problem with that is that there just isn't enough new information to keep a board like that active because so many of these subjects such as accommodations and dining are addressed on other forums on the disboards.

I have to drink bottle water while at Disney and have found
you can buy the larger bottles either 1litter or 2 litter and maybe even a gallon sized jug in the gift shops (we usually stay in a resort with a fridge and put the large bottle in there to drink while in the room).
There is also 1/2 gallons of milk in gift shops. We also purchase the refillable mug (at 1st it seems expensive but as many fountain drinks, coffee, hot chocolate that you get in it pays for itself in a few days).

Use the search function and you wont have to scroll through thousands of posts.

ohboy, you hit upon my pet peeve. When I found the Disboards 10 years ago (wow! 10 years!), THIS board was exactly that...how to save money at Disney. It has since become a general budget board==which is ok, imo, if off track. What I DO have an issue with is the many, many totally budget-unrelated threads---pregnant 20 yr olds, should i take another job, dogs with cushings disease, how my SIL spends her inheritance--things that belong on a community board rather than a budget focused board...those irritate me. I mean, really,whose businss is it if my SIL spends her whole inheritance foolishly and ends up on welfare???

Agreed!

Actually, if you'll look at the description for this board, it suggests that is exactly what this poster mentioned.

As with time and other things, it tends to become a community talking about their SILs...

If you are staying at a WDW property, the refillable mug is such a deal! I paid $12.99 and got free refills all week. I could even use in on the higher end property restaurants.

Also, ASK if they accept a AAA discount. There are no signs saying they take the AAA discount, but I was able to save 20% on most property restaurants. The 20% discount on food really adds up.

I agree that things do have a habit of getting off topic- but for alot of people saving money in other aspects of their life equates to saving FOR Disney! Whether its getting a deal on toys, budget graduation parties, or part time jobs...they are looking to save money or make extra money so they can make their Disney trip dreams come true sooner than later! And while ways to actually save at the parks can be revisited over and over...saving in other aspects of your daily life change daily!

We are huge proponents of creating a change jar and throwing in change and $1 bills. In a year we generally save enough for our tips (we use the dining plan), parking at the airport, our luggage costs, and to pay the dog sitter!

Also we always take ME and use Disney transportation. Saves us parking costs and gas costs.

Here's another one I got from the CM on cash in the food court at POP. Go to the pizza shop and ask for a loaf of bread. They have white and whole wheat. It's about 10 cents more than what I paid at Publix and cheaper than buying 2 slices at a time. Sorry, I don't know if the other resorts have that option. You'll have to ask. It's not listed the menu board.

If you are staying at a WDW property, the refillable mug is such a deal! I paid $12.99 and got free refills all week. I could even use in on the higher end property restaurants.

But only if you drink soda. It can't be used with juice and such. When I stayed at CBR last January, Mom and I didn't get it because it was way too far to walk from the food court to our room just to get a drink. Plus we were only there for 3 days.

I don't think i would check this board as often if I knew it would only be strictly disney savings topics. I like that thr are topics that fit other parts of my life, so that its not only during disney planning that it makes sense to hang out here :-)

Also, ASK if they accept a AAA discount. There are no signs saying they take the AAA discount, but I was able to save 20% on most property restaurants. The 20% discount on food really adds up.

Didn't know about the AAA discount at resturant. Can you list a few you used it at?

Also, you used the refillable mug at restaruants? Again... which ones.

Actually, if you'll look at the description for this board, it suggests that is exactly what this poster mentioned.

I swear this was covered w/in the last week, but this is the description:
Learn the 'in and outs' of smart earning, saving, and spending your money. Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!'

nothing specific to being *at* disney. In fact, since no-one is earning money at Disney, it seems obviously directed at things to do to earn money for/save for Disney beforehand

I swear this was covered w/in the last week, but this is the description:
Learn the 'in and outs' of smart earning, saving, and spending your money. Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!'

nothing specific to being *at* disney. In fact, since no-one is earning money at Disney, it seems obviously directed at things to do to earn money for/save for Disney beforehand

i agree...but nowhere does gritching about your 20 year old pregnant brother, SIL wasting HER inheritance, dogs with cushing's disease, etc...etc..etc..really fit in with budget tips.

JMTCW...Yes, I know I can skip 'those' threads...but it's frustrating when 90% of the topics aren't budget related...they're just people whining.

Didn't know about the AAA discount at resturant. Can you list a few you used it at?

Also, you used the refillable mug at restaruants? Again... which ones.

I would be interested in knowing this also.

I do know Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney takes AAA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter