Found camera castaway cay

wazooz2424

Earning My Ears
just returned from castaway cay and found a camera that was likely lost by someone on the ship just before ours. We arrived 11/6. Nothing identifying on it so I figured I’d have a better chance finding the owners than the Disney lost and found.

just returned from castaway cay and found a camera that was likely lost by someone on the ship just before ours. We arrived 11/6. Nothing identifying on it so I figured I’d have a better chance finding the owners than the Disney lost and found.

Except if they are not on here (likely - we are a tiny percentage of DCL cruisers) and contact Disney List and Found, this will not help them.

I would have turned it in on board.

Except if they are not on here (likely - we are a tiny percentage of DCL cruisers) and contact Disney List and Found, this will not help them.

I would have turned it in on board.
My plan was to search the web and post it. If I don’t have any luck within a few days, I’ll contact Disney directly. It’s a crap shoot either way.

My plan was to search the web and post it. If I don’t have any luck within a few days, I’ll contact Disney directly. It’s a crap shoot either way.

Personally, if I lost something on a Disney cruise, the first place I would go would be to Disney lost & found. Not the internet.

But again, I realize it's too late now, but I would have turned it into Guest Services on the ship because they could have gotten in touch with the Lost & Found people and then handed it over to the Lost & Found people when the ship returned to port.

Personally, if I lost something on a Disney cruise, the first place I would go would be to Disney lost & found. Not the internet.

But again, I realize it's too late now, but I would have turned it into Guest Services on the ship because they could have gotten in touch with the Lost & Found people and then handed it over to the Lost & Found people when the ship returned to port.
After a few days of searching, I’ll gladly mail it to Disney on my dime. I didn’t want to turn it in to the crew on the island. Just didn’t have a good feeling about some of the them. Forgot all about it until we unpacked our beach bag after getting home.

Are you able to “see” any pix on the viewfinder. Sometimes people take pix in their stateroom or even the number!!
The person is probably so sad to have forgotten it.
I hope you can find them. Not sure exactly what you found but I know one I gifted was several thousand ( tho it would likely not be on a beach)
A call to Lost and found now?
Good luck OP, awfully nice of u to try!

You definitely should have turned it in onboard!

Anyone who loses something on the cruise (or the island) is going to contact DCL about it. Because you kept it, DCL won’t be able to help them. If you send it to DCL *LATER*, the loser has already called and been told that DCL doesn’t have it and that they are out of luck, and chances of matching them with their lost camera are greatly diminished.

Your odds of stumbling across the owner online are very slim.

Contact DCL to find out how to get it to THEM right away so the owner has a chance of reuniting with their memories.

Last edited:

After a few days of searching, I’ll gladly mail it to Disney on my dime. I didn’t want to turn it in to the crew on the island. Just didn’t have a good feeling about some of the them. Forgot all about it until we unpacked our beach bag after getting home.
You realize that many of those people on the island are the crew from onboard the ship, right?

I'm in the group of "I'd have turned it in to the DCL Guest Services people onboard."

Have you joined the FB groups for the cruises before yours? Or at least sent a PM to the admins of those groups?

I said guest services on the ship. I did not say on the island. The ship would have a way to immediately contact shoreside lost and found.

something to check for and a HINT

review the digital pictures .... a good idea it to have the first shot on the card be the owner's name and contact info ..... or just saved as a text file on the memory card ....

I lost a camera part and I checked onboard each day. I never would have thought of turning to this forum is Facebook to find it. DCL has a record of what I lost and my address, if it is found. I ordered a new one when I got home, luckily it wasn't a lens of a memory card.

Next time please turn it in to Disney.

You could have just handed it to security as you got back on the ship, you have to go through security so wouldn’t have been going out your way to do so. And I would find it hard to believe you ‘just didn’t have a good feeling about some of them’, considering their job...

Good luck finding them, I hope for the owners sake you do.

I am curious how will you find them? I would never think of looking online for my camera that I lost on castaway.

Exactly. My first stop if I discovered it back on board would have been Guest Services. And if I somehow made it home without discovering that I had lost it, I would be contacting DCL about lost and found. NOT a message board or worse, trying to decipher where the group for my cruise might be on other social media.

Regardless of how or why the OP ended up with the found camera at home, one way to possibly find the owner would be to post one of the digital pictures from the camera to a site called Stolen Camera Finder (https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/). I have never used this site myself, but it sounds like it might be worth a try. This site uses digital information that cameras inbed in each digital image file to see if there are pictures from that same camera posted the web at different sites. Unfortunately, not all sites that host images include this background data (Facebook for one), but many do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter