Found old safe in my basement

http://www.steamboatlandingonline.com/canandaigua_lady_defaultpage.asp

this is the steamboat and it is still in operation today:thumbsup2

This page is really interesting, but I think you might be mistaken about the two "Canandaigua Lady"s. The steamboat referenced on this page is a replica. "The Canandaigua Lady is a 19th century replica of a double-decked paddleboat operating from Steamboat Landing..."

There is a cool paragraph about the wreck of a 19th Century steamboat that is still visible on the lake-bottom...

On the east side of the lake the Canandaigua Lady will pay it's respect to The "Onnalinda"-- the largest of the lake steamers that could carry 600 passengers or an equal load of cargo and that sank after being dismantled and set ablaze in 1913. Through the clear lake water you can see this steamboat's remains resting on the lake bottom. The "Lady of the Lake" which was primarily an excursion steamboat sank near the Canandaigua Pier and can be seen on a clear day if you know where to look. At one time there were 19 steamboats that operated as the primary means of transportation, as there were no roads along the lake at the time

Apparently there is a New York State winery that uses the "Ogarita" (the McKechnie steamboat) on one of its labels in its Lake Boat Series of wines.
http://www.thegrapery.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=396

This wine is part of Arbor Hill's Lake Boat Series brand. The Lake Boat Series wines are made to commemorate the steamboat era of Canandaigua Lake, the Finger Lake on which Arbor Hill is located. A detailed label featuring the steamboat called Ogarita and the history behind this steamboat adorns one side of this bottle.

agnes!

This page is really interesting, but I think you might be mistaken about the two "Canandaigua Lady"s. The steamboat referenced on this page is a replica. "The Canandaigua Lady is a 19th century replica of a double-decked paddleboat operating from Steamboat Landing..."

There is a cool paragraph about the wreck of a 19th Century steamboat that is still visible on the lake-bottom...

On the east side of the lake the Canandaigua Lady will pay it's respect to The "Onnalinda"-- the largest of the lake steamers that could carry 600 passengers or an equal load of cargo and that sank after being dismantled and set ablaze in 1913. Through the clear lake water you can see this steamboat's remains resting on the lake bottom. The "Lady of the Lake" which was primarily an excursion steamboat sank near the Canandaigua Pier and can be seen on a clear day if you know where to look. At one time there were 19 steamboats that operated as the primary means of transportation, as there were no roads along the lake at the time

Apparently there is a New York State winery that uses the "Ogarita" (the McKechnie steamboat) on one of its labels in its Lake Boat Series of wines.
http://www.thegrapery.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=396

This wine is part of Arbor Hill's Lake Boat Series brand. The Lake Boat Series wines are made to commemorate the steamboat era of Canandaigua Lake, the Finger Lake on which Arbor Hill is located. A detailed label featuring the steamboat called Ogarita and the history behind this steamboat adorns one side of this bottle.

agnes!

oopsie:)

OP, thanks for giving us all a bit of excitement. I loooove this kind of stuff and especially the history that goes along with it.

agnes!

Thanks for including us in your adventure, OP! :banana: :banana: :banana: I would have done the same thing you did. :)

I wouldn't say that what you found isn't valuable. Search around for local historians...I'm sure they'd be interested! Also try local college and university History departments.

in my excitement I did not realize this is a replica (thanks agnes!) but it is still cool:rotfl:

Agnes! is your real name Nancy Drew?

Hahahahaha ...thanks for the compliment :cool1: , but no.

And it's easy to miss a word in the excitement of the chase. But what's important is that you looked something up, you did some research. I didn't even think to put in that steamboat name.

So kudos right back atcha ::yes::!

Pin Wizard - in reply to your earlier question? Sometimes.

agnes!
PS - And now I have a craving for some New York state wine in the Lake Boat Series ;) .

OP Thank you for adding some excitement to my life.:dance3: Thank your DH also for having you go all the way back to work to get the cable.:worship:

I think we need to send medics to check c4b. He/she probably fainted when they saw what OP's DH did to the safe. I would have done it too. lol

I think we should have one last drink. To the safe. Oh and since we weren't actually there *I* think the cash is stashed just outside the picture. ;)

I read this whole thread this evening and am glad there is an ending. Unlike neighbor watch. If that one ever gets solved someone please PM me.

Another thanks to the OP and her, obviously, wonderful DH. What fun this was. I have to go tell my 9 yr old DD that it was empty.

GEESH, I'm only on page 6 but the suspense is killing me. What a fun mystery to solve! :yay: :yay:

And you all are cracking me up!
"Where's the dynamite?"
"Bust it open!"
"Get a locksmith!"
"But make him leave before you open it!
"File for divorce!"
"Talk to a tax attorney!"
"Check out the previous owners!"

OMG, I'm laughing so hard!!! :lmao:

So how long is this thread? I'm gonna be seriously annoyed if it isn't open by the time I get to the end. :rotfl:

Tracking down more info on Royal R. Scott:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4HPIB_en___US237&q=%22Royal+R.+Scott%22

Only skimmed some threads, but it seemed like he was making a run for Senator of NY.

And there was this sad link:
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:KWbBmYN8-pIJ:www.usgennet.org/usa/ny/county/ontario/Newsitem

ONTARIO COUNTY JOURNAL Friday November 5, 1909 Pg 5, col 5 by: Ron Hanley

Ross R. Scott, only son of Hon. and Mrs. Royal R. Scott, died at the family home, Main Street North, on Monday (Nov 1st) evening. The young man had recently suffered from tuberculosis for about a year, and had recently returned home from Lake Placid in good spirits and improved health. Late on Monday evening, after retiring, he suffered a hemorrhage, and died within an hour.

No death in Canandaigua in recent years has caused more profound sorrow, or stirred such genuine sympathy for the bereaved parents and family. Ross possessed one of those rare dispositions which attracts spontaneous popularity. In school, in business and socially, he was a leader and a favorite. He was a member of the Baptist Church, both here and in Buffalo while the family resided there, and he was a leader in school athletics, attaining professional rank as a football player. His death cut short a promising career.

Besides his parents, deceased is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Clifford Cribb, of Rochester, and Misses Ruth and Bessie Scott of this village. Funeral services were held at the home yesterday afternoon, Rev. J. S. Ebersole officiating, and burial was in Woodlawn.

Marriage announcement, so we know who his wife was:
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache
27 April 1883

MARRIED - In Rochester, on Wednesday, April 25th, by Rev. Dr. Sankey, Mr. Royal R. Scott and Miss Clara A. Hutchens, all of Canandaigua.

More people to track down for a possible, more recent lineage! :thumbsup2

Thank you for including us all on your adventure! I'm sorry you didn't find more in the safe. But the letter is a cool piece of history.

This was so cool!!! I would have done the exact same thing you and your hubby did, so don't fret about what could've been. Tell hubby thanks from all of us and good luck cleaning up that mess. I certainly wouldn't want to be hauling that concrete up basement stairs!!!

I personally thought there would be a small white bag in that safe.....it would've explained the sudden departure of the neighbors thread!!

I guess that is the end of our Safe Watch 2008. I am so glad that all of you were here to share in this. I am sorry that the ending is so disappointing. But at least there was the one letter, gives me something to research into.

Boy do I have a mess to clean up................ :eek: Heavy concrete, metal and not to mention the smell to get out of my house.

The safe may have been empty, but look at it this way, at least there was an ending and it wasn't another "neighbor" thread!

Thanks again for making this even more exciting for me!!!!!

And to all who are angry with me for ruining a piece of history "I am sorry" but I just couldn't help myself. Forgive me:worship:
Ok, but you ruined a piece of History...there was a better way to Get into the safe, but you refused to do it. Oh, well.:confused3 YOU could have sold the safe to someone who was interested in it, IF you hadn't... A.Cut the hinges off and B. Cut a Big Gaping hole in it...now, you have something you can throw away in a dump.:confused3 :sad2:

I did some online research too and found a photo of Orin S. Bacon:

villain.jpg

Thanks for the fun and excitement OP! :hug:

Hahahahaha ...thanks for the compliment :cool1: , but no.

And it's easy to miss a word in the excitement of the chase. But what's important is that you looked something up, you did some research. I didn't even think to put in that steamboat name.

So kudos right back atcha ::yes::!

Pin Wizard - in reply to your earlier question? Sometimes.

agnes!
PS - And now I have a craving for some New York state wine in the Lake Boat Series ;) .
Here's your wine, Agnes - you deserved it!

65.jpg

Bummer on nothing major being inside it:guilty: . I would have done the same thing though! Thanks for taking us on this adventure! And BTW, good luck on the clean up job, cleaning stinks:rotfl:

Ok, but you ruined a piece of History...there was a better way to Get into the safe, but you refused to do it. Oh, well.:confused3 YOU could have sold the safe to someone who was interested in it, IF you hadn't... A.Cut the hinges off and B. Cut a Big Gaping hole in it...now, you have something you can throw away in a dump.:confused3 :sad2:

Puhleez. It was hers, to do with what she wanted. She's not accountable to any "antique police."

Been too busy to Dis much in the last few days, so I just read ALL 42 PAGES!!!! It was so fun and I would have done the same thing! Thanks to you and your hubby for all the good photos and updates.

I loved that your DH is/was a surveyor. Mine is too. He always says every surveyor either:

1. Gets hit by a car.
2. finds a bag of money.
3. finds a dead body.

I really had my fingers crossed for #2, but he got #3.:scared1:

Thanks for a great thread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter