Four Seasons

Jersey Hokie

Here I go again, to WDW that is ;-)
I don't know if this has already been discussed, but what are your thoughts on WDW allowing the Four Seasons to build on property along with 4500 timeshares along the western entrance? Do you think this will hurt DVC?

Just interested in other DVC owner's opinions. I am not thrilled by the news.

The Four Seasons developments are "fractional vacation homes" rather than traditional timeshares. Each unit will have only a handful of owners rather than the dozens that own a typical DVC unit. Price ranges will be 6-figures--probably mid 6-figures. IMO the market is very different from DVC and most of us wouldn't even be able to give it more than a passing thought.

Before the Western Way project was announced there was some rumor that timeshares could be included there as well. Disney's press release said nothing about timeshares--only hotels owned by other parties. IMO it will be very similar to the resorts just east of Downtown Disney.

I agree with tjkraz, nothing to compete directly with DVC.

But the Four Seasons resort will compete directly with the Hyatt Grand Cypress resort just north of downtown Disney. In fact it looks like the two resorts will share a common boundary! AFIAK the Hyatt complex doesn't include fractional ownership but it does have some very nice golf courses and timeshares and a lot of acreage.

The Western Way resort will apparently be competing with all the other hotels in the WDW area, with the possible advantage of newness and perhaps the advantages of the DTD hotels. I guess it will be technically "onsite" as the DTD hotels are, and will probably have a coordinated shuttle system. Presumably WDW will be getting some sort of cash flow from this or it would be pointless.

will they share in the EMH??

Do the S/D have that perk? And do the DTD ones? The only time I've stayed in a non-Disney resort when visiting WDW, was back in '78, when there was no such thing a EMH, so I don't know.
If any of those have it now, then I'd guess it would be extended to the new ones. If they don't, then it'll stay only for Disney guests. JMO, of course.:goodvibes

Check back around 2011 / 2012 when things start opening. They are still in the very early planning stages and very little is known.

My speculation is that the Four Seasons developments WILL have access to EMH and other perks, but the Western Way properties will not. The Western Way development it located on Disney property, but OUSTIDE of the WDW gate on that side of the property. I believe it will be marketed as "off-site" and designed to compete more with the $80-100 per night cheapie resort rooms that are booked by people who don't value the perks of staying at a Disney resort.

IMO, the Western Way development is just a way for Disney to make some money off of that land without providing any direct competition to their existing resorts.

The Four Seasons probably will.

The Swan, Dolphin, and DTD Hilton currently have EMH privileges, and I'm pretty sure they are the only non-Disney hotels that do. I'm also pretty sure they pay a substantial fee for this privilege.

Of course WDW doesn't have to offer this to anybody, but I suspect they will offer it to the Four Seasons when the time comes, and if they want it they too will pay for it.

Is anyone else just plain REALLY surprised about this? I thought that after Disney allowed the Swan/Dolphin to be built on their property, they "learned their lesson" (I don't know where I heard that) and decided they'd never do that again. They would make sure that whatever hotel was on Disney property was Disney owned, they'd get all the profit, they'd control the service, the type of employees, quality, etc. Did I miss some change?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter