• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Four weeks in a studio, using the kitchenette - and survived!

Oh that's tricky! The best room was the Poly, the best activities were at Kidani and the most homely was OKW. Hard to choose an overall favourite.
Poly also takes the most points! We would love to try a studio there, but have to stretch our points out as best we can !

How did you keep the frozen items in the fridge?
Whenever we bought something that was frozen, we used it that same day, or the day after, and just kept it in the fridge. We had no problems doing that. Although Kidani and OKW had small freezer compartments, so we used those too. The Poly didn’t have one though.

A 1 month vacation sounds wonderful and like it would be so relaxing. I am amazed at your accomplishment and agree with zavandor, you should write a book, a blog, or similar. I think it would be a huge hit. Maybe start a thread here with some sample meals, etc. Thanks for sharing!

That's very kind :-) I did do a blog over on the trip report page, but next year I'll make it more specific with the food details I think, a lot of people seem to have been interested :-)

Lol I have a tough time navigating the really old stuff. My time on chat forums in the early 2000’s was short lived lol. I think it’s why I enjoy disboards so much. Ahhh nostalgia! I’ll have to dive onto Pinterest and see what exists. We just closed on our resale contract. It’s small so it will just be studios for awhile. We are going to invest in an owners locker and leave our stuff down there, and I heard a lot of people leave a crockpot in it too. I’ll have to see what I can come up with. My family of tough eaters don’t love crockpot meals but if they get to do Disney twice a year they better adjust those picky tastebuds 😂

So we just returned from our first ever stay as DVC owners. We went for four weeks, myself, husband and kids (aged 11 and 7).
Our plan was to eat in the room as much as we could in an attempt to both save as much money as possible, and to see if it was even practical.
Turns out it was easier than we expected. We don’t even have a microwave at home, so using one was brand new to us. We took some cooking things that would help, trays for cooking bacon, baked potatoes, a steamer etc. It all worked brilliantly. We'll definately be doing the same thing next year. We also invested in an owners locker to keep all of our new kitchen equipment in :-)
I did worry we’d get bored of what we could cook, but it was fantastic. We only had one meal on site - breakfast at Olivia’s, and we went off site three or four times to eat. Apart from that, it was all done in the studio :-)
I am amazed that you only ate one meal on site. I'm not amazed that you were able to use the microwave for most meals without problems - we use our home microwave more than any other cooking appliance - but its options ARE somewhat limited. Still, it is just that you could be near so much amazing food, in the parks and restaurants, and yet ignore it all.

I do love Disney, but lately we have also been spending time every year at Universal and my family has full annual passes for both. If I were going to spend a month in Orlando, I would do some time at each location, and also would do some time in some local timeshares. They can all be much cheaper than Disney, even with DVC.

So we just returned from our first ever stay as DVC owners. We went for four weeks, myself, husband and kids (aged 11 and 7).
Our plan was to eat in the room as much as we could in an attempt to both save as much money as possible, and to see if it was even practical.
Turns out it was easier than we expected. We don’t even have a microwave at home, so using one was brand new to us. We took some cooking things that would help, trays for cooking bacon, baked potatoes, a steamer etc. It all worked brilliantly. We'll definately be doing the same thing next year. We also invested in an owners locker to keep all of our new kitchen equipment in :-)
I did worry we’d get bored of what we could cook, but it was fantastic. We only had one meal on site - breakfast at Olivia’s, and we went off site three or four times to eat. Apart from that, it was all done in the studio :-)
Well done!

I don't know what I was more shocked at:

A) the 4 week stay (I'd love that!!)
B) Living off studio amenities and not really eating out.

For religious dietary reasons I bring most of my own food, and pick up milk, orange juice, etc. on my way to WDW.
If I didn't bring my own food, Disney does have airplane type kosher meals. So I'd have to have one of those every night, and the only one that is reliably decent is the chicken tenders. Ten or so nights of that would be a little too much.
My breakfast is the same as home: orange juice, cereal, milk. I can eat it at my leisure while watching the news; no need to get dressed and go somewhere. Lunch is also the same as home: a peanut butter sandwich!
The only problem is they have eliminated the freezer section in the mini-fridge. I used to be able to request one, but they are vanishing rapidly.

Although the thread is from 2018, I can't stop myself from making a comment....IMPRESSIVE! :thumbsup2
Now which part is more impressive....As two adults who like staying in 1-bedroom as much as possible, and like eating out trying all kinds of food...

1. Four people staying in a studio for 4 weeks? Or....
2. Only ate one meal on property?! 🤔

Although the thread is from 2018, I can't stop myself from making a comment....IMPRESSIVE! :thumbsup2
Now which part is more impressive....As two adults who like staying in 1-bedroom as much as possible, and like eating out trying all kinds of food...

1. Four people staying in a studio for 4 weeks? Or....
2. Only ate one meal on property?! 🤔
Lol right me too! We are going for a week and staying at sabal palms since we still don’t have our resale points loaded. Our plan is one breakfast before park opening for some sweet empty park pics and an after park close Oga’s reservation, 😀 maybe I’ll have to save up our points and try to do a month and no park days when our points come in. Can you imagine two kids and no park days. 😂😂😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter