FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

I'd like to see Universal spank disney, and spank them hard.

Yes. That is pretty evident in your posts.

Disneys price structure has not changed at all, so its effectively saying, Universal you are still not even in our league.

I'd say they are still probably mostly right when you consider all the elements involved.

Remember the old Mac VS PC commercials?

Just as with Apple and Microsoft, you don't have to unseat your competition to be wildly successful. Universal doesn't have to be the leader or even necessarily have that as a goal.

I do still see Disney adding more attractions at WDW over the next 5 years, so they will still be growing. Investors certainly have liked Disney over the past year. I don't know how much MM+ will help, but I don't think it will hurt their revenue models.

US 2parks, WDW 4 parks
That has probably something to do with the difference in price too

You'd think it would but the annual passes at DL are way more expensive than Universal too---at least by a few hundred dollars.

Wait till Diagon Alley opens at US,,,can we say "price increase"? As Mr Rogers would say,,"lets say it together".

I understand what you are saying. I talked my DH into getting a tablet and signing up for a data plan because of all the new stuff coming to Disney parks. We had been on the fence so this pushed is over. Thing is, we got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and THE APP WON'T WORK ON IT!! Beyond annoyed about this. It isn't like we purchased some no name tablet! I don't understand why it won't work. :confused3 It seems if Disney really wants guest to use this app then they will get it working on ALL devices!! I mean, I can get Angry Birds to work on our tablet and even our Nook tablet but the Disney app...no luck!

Blame Android, their SDK is plagued with issues that make programming apps on IOS much less complicated. Some apps port over a lot easier than others. That's why you'll find Android apps that have ported from IOS that just don't have the same umphh or constantly crash or whatever. But true, you'd think Disney would be above the average Joe. I'm just excited we'll be able to split up at times and have the option to facetime the kids easily whenever needed.

Ok we don't own smart phones or Ipads - does anyone have advice on the cheapest way to stay connected in the parks? I guess Disney is trying to get me to give my money to someone else because it looks like I have no choice but to buy tech I've never wanted and wont really want to use for anything else... but if that's what I have to do to stay "competitive' so be it; and you can bet that money is going to come out of cash I would have spent on stuff at Disney.

If you are really concerned about it you can get a smart phone for free and a one month contract from companies like StraightTalk for $50 unlimited everything. I would think Disney would have kiosks set up that you get scan your own band to check your schedule.

I understand what you are saying. I talked my DH into getting a tablet and signing up for a data plan because of all the new stuff coming to Disney parks. We had been on the fence so this pushed is over. Thing is, we got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and THE APP WON'T WORK ON IT!! Beyond annoyed about this. It isn't like we purchased some no name tablet! I don't understand why it won't work. :confused3 It seems if Disney really wants guest to use this app then they will get it working on ALL devices!! I mean, I can get Angry Birds to work on our tablet and even our Nook tablet but the Disney app...no luck!

It does actually work, you just have to sideload it. That is, get a copy of the APK yourself and install it manually. It's blocked on the play store for all Android tablets, and I've sent a complaint in about it, but they don't seem to care.

In any case, I have a Galaxy Tab 2, and it is installed on it, but it was a pain in the butt to get it there and I didn't even use it while we were in the world. Just used my phone instead.

If my vacation is perfect then Universal is a 4 day resort and WDW is a 7 day resort. I know of people who spend a full week at Universal but there are those who stay at a beach resort with way less to do for a week too. It really depends on what a person is looking for in a vacation.

I don't see why the two resorts can't coexist peacefully. I prefer to go to both myself and hopefully always will. That does leave poor SeaWorld out but a person can't do everything!

Regardless of this, I still don't want to carry any kind of phone in the parks.

It does actually work, you just have to sideload it. That is, get a copy of the APK yourself and install it manually. It's blocked on the play store for all Android tablets, and I've sent a complaint in about it, but they don't seem to care.

In any case, I have a Galaxy Tab 2, and it is installed on it, but it was a pain in the butt to get it there and I didn't even use it while we were in the world. Just used my phone instead.

Where can you find a copy of the apk file for My Disney Experience? I have the same problem with my Android.

Edit: Nevermind - I found one

I would think Disney would have kiosks set up that you get scan your own band to check your schedule.

That has been much discussed.

However, there appear to be none of these "guest kiosks" in the parks now,
and it's getting very close to time for the first guest tests of MagicBands and FP+. (And, all of the other "touch-point" readers HAVE been installed.)

There are some kiosks that look to be specifically for Cast Members to access, but it doesn't
seem practical that a CM would have to read your FP+ info to you... and potentially hundreds of other guests.

That has been much discussed.

However, there appear to be none of these "guest kiosks" in the parks now,
and it's getting very close to time for the first guest tests of MagicBands and FP+. (And, all of the other "touch-point" readers HAVE been installed.)

There are some kiosks that look to be specifically for Cast Members to access, but it doesn't
seem practical that a CM would have to read your FP+ info to you... and potentially hundreds of other guests.

Having just left WDW on my way home, I can confirm that there is no sign of any guest-oriented equipment beyond the scanning posts at any of the attractions I saw at DHS, Epcot or MK. There is a kiosk set up near the scanning posts for CMs to see when guests scan their bands/cards at the posts.

Even where I would have expected to see something based on their location - like where the old FP kiosks for HM used to be - there is absolutely nothing.

The only unusual thing is there is still one of those "boxes" they use to cover something at TSM, between the entrance and the FP kiosks. But it isn't anything very significant in size.

I'm here now, staying onsite at Universal. We are Disney vets with 18 trips under our belts. But, I have to say with HP, the new Transformers ride, the Springfield expansion and everything else...Universal is kicking some Disney booty.

We booked 9 days at the resort and could stay even longer, no problem. We did journey over to MK on Friday and Animal Kingdom today. Today, our AK day, was a let down. Maybe it was a been there done that kind of thing, maybe it was the heat. But we left after 5 hours and couldn't get back to our hotel fast enough.

Now after refreshing showers and a feeling of "ahh, back to tranquility" we are off to see if the Transformers ride is up and running again tonight. Life is good!

I think the "motherland" better watch it's back.

But then how much time do I lose standing in line to find out when the next time I don't have to wait in stand by is going to be? Besides it's not times for fast pass I'm worried about tracking. I can always write that down - I take a 3 ring binder into the parks with me anyway so that wont be hard.

I'm wanting to stay on top of last minute available fast passes and the like. Not to mention that it will be easier to avoid stand by lines if I can see how long their going to be from anywhere in the park and if standby is going to get as bad as some around here seem to think - I'm going to need every edge I can get.

If you are really concerned about it you can get a smart phone for free and a one month contract from companies like StraightTalk for $50 unlimited everything. I would think Disney would have kiosks set up that you get scan your own band to check your schedule.

Having just left WDW on my way home, I can confirm that there is no sign of any guest-oriented equipment beyond the scanning posts at any of the attractions I saw at DHS, Epcot or MK. There is a kiosk set up near the scanning posts for CMs to see when guests scan their bands/cards at the posts.

Even where I would have expected to see something based on their location - like where the old FP kiosks for HM used to be - there is absolutely nothing.

The only unusual thing is there is still one of those "boxes" they use to cover something at TSM, between the entrance and the FP kiosks. But it isn't anything very significant in size.

Curiouser and curiouser..

Thanks for the first-hand report!

Rileygirl, you should copy and paste all of your posts into a single document. With a little bit of editing, you might have a best-seller on your hands. :goodvibes

MOUSE WARS: How Disney and Universal compete for Orlando's Tourism Dollars

Rileygirl, they do offer a ticket that includes Wet 'n Wild. They do have free transportation from the Universal hotels to Wet 'n Wild and SeaWorld. They do offer tickets that include SeaWorld on their website.

The power pass is $10 more than the 4 day ticket and that is for a full year minus some black out dates---so doesn't really make sense to have a 7 day ticket as well. The annual pass with no blackout dates ( and discounts) is $50 cheaper than a WDW 7 day ticket and is renewable for under $200.

They offer a 14 day ticket to UK visitors. http://www.universal-bookings.co.uk/park.html

Disney will never allow Universal transportation on their property. Why would they?

The Knight bus will be part of Diagon Alley. It is in the concept art. http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...art-for-universals-wizarding-world-expansion/

So I was there during a test phase and there are kiosks. They are stored when not testing and are wheeled out for testing then plugged in. I have to imagine they will be rolled off state every night and secured in a closed location as well.

During testing there was a kiosk at Guest Relations, a few at Buzz Lightyear Space ranger Spin, 2 at Jungle Cruise and I think one somewhere in fantasyland.

You have the option of your itinerary being emailed so you could print it at home. My friend and I just screen-capped ours and also had it in our google calendar so we could check quickly what was up with out having to use Internet to check. We only switched at the kiosks when we saw that the wait time was not worth using our fastpass. So we would quickly change the fastpass then go get in standby. I never felt like our Standby times were any longer than before. We were able to do our 3 fastpass+ attractions plus 4 other standbys before I had to leave for work at 3. We got to the park around 10 am. So a short day fitting in about 1 attraction an hour is not so bad.

Rileygirl, you should copy and paste all of your posts into a single document. With a little bit of editing, you might have a best-seller on your hands. :goodvibes

MOUSE WARS: How Disney and Universal compete for Orlando's Tourism Dollars

Ahhh, but would it be a work of fiction or a biography? I hope I am hitting some points on the head though....

Damo, I have a detailed response coming, just not sure if it will get posted this morning, as I have a lot of stuff on the agenda.

After that, I think I should stop posting, as this thread has floated down to page 3, and I dont think I should keep bumping it back up. With its title, and its severe diversion from topic, it probably should die a natural death.

I have really enjoyed posting on it though. Its been fun, and its really made me think.

~A

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter