• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+: Maximize # or schedule for peak times?

kate_wdw

DIS Veteran
I'm planning my first vacation under the new FP+ system, and when it comes to scheduling Fastpasses for my trip, I'm undecided whether I should try to schedule them for the late morning/early afternoon in order to try to maximize the total number of Fastpasses I can get in a day or whether I should schedule my FPs for peak times. We're not rope droppers (if I could get my party up and out for rope drop, I would, but that's not going to happen) - that's why I wouldn't schedule the FPs for any earlier than 10ish. Can I expect Fastpasses for the headliners to be available in early afternoon? The crowd levels will be between 2 and 5 during our trip.

I'd love to get others' thoughts and opinions about what you think is the best strategy in my circumstance.

Thanks!

If your trip is more than 60 days away, plan to jump on the fastpasses on the sixty day mark. This gives you dibs on the days you will be there, because chances are, most people int eh parks the days you are will not schedule ahead of time. We did this and managed to secure every fastpass we wanted at the times we wanted, give or take five minutes.

If you are closer than sixty days, however, i would try to get peak times, and take it from there. It's much nicer to be zipping through Tower of Terror when there is a two hour wait than to be zipping through it when there is a twenty minute wait. So, definitely try to go for mid-day.

Unless something has changed, the maximum amount of fastpasses is three per day for one park, no matter what times you pick. I know that Disney is working on allowing the fastpasses to be split up between parks if you park hop, but at the moment, all three of our fastpasses are confined to one park.

The good thing is, you can change your fastpasses anytime, up to the day of. In March, we did this a lot, in order to not miss parades and such. You are given the option to either change the time of your already selected attraction or to change the attraction of your already selected time.

Anyone please correct me if any of this is wrong!

I hope you have magical trip!! :goodvibes

Unless something has changed, the maximum amount of fastpasses is three per day for one park, no matter what times you pick. I know that Disney is working on allowing the fastpasses to be split up between parks if you park hop, but at the moment, all three of our fastpasses are confined to one park.

This has changed. Now, once you've used your original three FPs, you can choose another. And another once that one is used. Etc.

OP, I know some people seem to be moving their original FPs earlier in the day so they will be eligible for more. I don't really understand this plan. Why bother with an FP if I can easily ride standby? And if I can ride a large number of rides standby early in the day, use FP for rides that have long waits through the peak hours, and ride the "always walk-on" rides (looking at you, COP!) anytime, why would I need anything else? I booked most of my FPs for times when waits are typically longer.

The thing that may eventually throw a wrench into this plan is if LOTS of people start booking FPs for the first few hours of the day. That will artificially inflate the standby waits since FPs get priority. But I'm hoping the impact will be minimal because it will always hold true that people just don't get to the parks early.

This has changed. Now, once you've used your original three FPs, you can choose another. And another once that one is used. Etc.

OP, I know some people seem to be moving their original FPs earlier in the day so they will be eligible for more. I don't really understand this plan. Why bother with an FP if I can easily ride standby? And if I can ride a large number of rides standby early in the day, use FP for rides that have long waits through the peak hours, and ride the "always walk-on" rides (looking at you, COP!) anytime, why would I need anything else? I booked most of my FPs for times when waits are typically longer.

The thing that may eventually throw a wrench into this plan is if LOTS of people start booking FPs for the first few hours of the day. That will artificially inflate the standby waits since FPs get priority. But I'm hoping the impact will be minimal because it will always hold true that people just don't get to the parks early.

If she were a RDer, I'd agree with you, But if you walk into EPCOT at 10:15 or 10:30, you won't be riding Soarin' without a wait. So, the opportunity to ride multiple rides SB with little wait is just not going to be there. We are almost exactly like the OP. We get to the parks pretty early but rarely at actual RD. We have had very little luck walking right on headliners when we arrive. I've made almost all of my FP+s for earlier than 2:00. I consider 2:00 to be peak times, so if I can ride some headliners before that time and then do a bunch of mid-tier rides with FP in the afternoon and a few more headliners at night, I will be a happy camper.

I don't really think there is a right or wrong answer, just whatever works best for you. And it may change day by day.

Unless you want to meet Anna & Elsa, there's probably no need to rush and get your fp's right at the 60-day mark. I booked ours at 30 days out, and I got everything I wanted, and mostly at the times I wanted. We leave next Fri., and I've been tweaking our times this week. Most things still have a lot of availability, and I've been able to move things around pretty much around however I want. The only thing I can't move is Anna and Elsa. If you're going after the mine train, that would be the other hot ticket, but it seems like people are still getting slots for that, too. I'd do that one sooner rather than later, but I'm guessing its capacity is high enough that you don't need to be at your computer at midnight on your 60-day mark.

I think it depends on what you're moving earlier. I've moved mine a little earlier for attractions that generally have a sprint at rope drop. Like A&E, TSMM, Soarin' and now 7DMT (you know it will). Mine start about an hour after park opening and I figure by then the lines will have built up a bit on those rides. We're also going in July when crowds are high and I think that also has an impact as far as if this is a good strategy or not.

If she were a RDer, I'd agree with you, But if you walk into EPCOT at 10:15 or 10:30, you won't be riding Soarin' without a wait. So, the opportunity to ride multiple rides SB with little wait is just not going to be there. We are almost exactly like the OP. We get to the parks pretty early but rarely at actual RD. We have had very little luck walking right on headliners when we arrive. I've made almost all of my FP+s for earlier than 2:00. I consider 2:00 to be peak times, so if I can ride some headliners before that time and then do a bunch of mid-tier rides with FP in the afternoon and a few more headliners at night, I will be a happy camper.

I don't really think there is a right or wrong answer, just whatever works best for you. And it may change day by day.

See, maybe it depends on what you consider peak times...from my observations, the crowds start to rise around 11 and stay that way through most of the afternoon.

So, during busy times of the year, do you think Fastpasses will run out before the end of the day? We've scheduled our 3 for peak times (11 am - 3 pm), but I'm afraid we won't be able to FP the other headliners we'd like to ride by the time our third is up. Any chance of this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter