FREAKING OVER JULY CROWDS...

JessicaJarrell

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm new to the boards! :-)
We have booked our vacation for AOA resort from July 3-7. This is the only week my husband could get off this year. Last time (2014) we went in September, stayed at Port Orleans FQ, visited Magic Kingdom & Hollywood Studios and we had a wonderful time!! I'm getting a bit nervous about the crowds. Especially since our first day in the parks (we planned magic kingdom for first day, we have 2 little ones) will be on July 4th... yikes. Totally freaking out about the crowds. I have no friends that have been during this time. What should I expect? Shoulder to shoulder walking down Main St?
Side note: We plan on bringing my son (will be 1yo at the time) stroller, but my 5yo will probably not want to walk at a certain point. Should I expect there not to be anymore single strollers to rent and bring her an umbrella style stroller? What is the price of stroller renting?

It will be crowded, but reports of last July state lower than normal crowds. I saw photos and was surprised at how uncrowded it looked. You will get a lot done at rope drop. I would not freak out at all, it will be a wonderful trip. Just book your fp's and pack a good attitude.

For the stroller, I would bring an umbrella style from home. That way you can use it at the airports, the resorts etc. We have rented from one of the local stroller rental companies, but honestly preferred bringing our own.

If you can, I would move your MK day to a different day. July 4th will be packed at MK, it won't be wall to wall on main street like NYE, but it will be very crowded with very long waits all day. If you do keep July 4th your MK day, then I would get what you can done at rope drop, take a break for naps or anything, then have FP's set up in the afternoon when lines are crazy

It'll be hot and busy but you will still have a great time! FP is your friend. :)

As far as the stroller goes, have you considered a double? Mine isn't a double wide, but its a tandem. So its narrow but still has room for two kids. Love it and I love bringing it to Disney. If you don't want to do that, I'd just bring the 5 yo a cheap umbrella stroller, or bring a baby carrier and wear the one year old when your 5 yo needs a break in the stroller.

July 4th is going to be your most crowded day by far, so agree on swapping park days if you can.

If you insist on doing MK on the 4th, get there early and be prepared for the crowds. I suggest making your top priority FPs in the morning and hop around to anything you can get FPs for through the rest of the day.

The crowds should minimize somewhat after the 4th. Last year we went from July 6th-13th and the first three days were the lowest crowds I'd every seen. I'm crossing my fingers for a similar experience this coming trip.

I booked July 1-6 this year based on the relatively low crowd levels last year. Naturally, you can't count on it being the same this year. MK will be very crowded on the 4th. can't help you with stroller issue, my kids are past that stage. Don't over do it and you'll be fine.

On our annual friends trip to Disney, one of our friends sister joined us and her 1 year old, she did not bring a stroller. Instead of renting she bought an umbrella stroller at Hollywood Studios about $40, they sell them at the same place you would rent them. So if they are sold out of the rentals, you may be able to buy one there.

Agree with pp, it will be busy and hot, but it is still Disney and as long as you go in prepared, it will still be magical.

Last 4th wasn't so bad. The crowds were really only bad for the fireworks. I told everyone over and over how it didn't seem that busy. We were able to ride everything we wanted and eat where we wanted without any fanfare.

I would bring a stroller for the 5 year old. It will be hot and if you have a good one she will probably nap in it and even use it a good amount. Just to get out of the sun for a bit.

When I first started going to WDW, I looked up the price of renting one for the 10 park days and then I searched for a stroller that I knew my niece would enjoy sitting in. Back then everyone raved about Maclaren's. I took my niece to a baby store and had her try out a few she was so squished in the umbrella type strollers. I then found a Peg Plinko P3 and it had everything the most expensive Maclaren had but was quite a bit cheaper. I love that stroller (flat back to it). I thought I would only use it the one trip but then I came back for the next 3 years and used it again for each trip. I took the oldest niece two time in a row and then her younger sister two times in a row. Having a good stroller can make or break your trip! If I had to push around a cheap stroller it would not have been a good trip. I still have the stroller. I can't part with it. Now knowing they don't make the freedom movement harness on any of the newer ones, I really can't get rid of it (one of my favourite things about it).

you'll be fine then! Divide your days by lands. I usually do Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (there isn't much there for us) on the least busy day, and Adventureland, Frontierland, etc. the busier day. I love Adventureland at rope drop when most people are booking it to Fantasyland! Its so nice.

We went for 4th of July last year. Yes, the crowds were lower than normal.... but there was a reason. The Olympics were going on at the same time and Brazil had an economy crash. I wouldn't count on this July looking like last July in the least, especially with Pandora opening a little over a month beforehand.

As others have said, change your MK day or at least plan to rope drop. It will be very hot so plan mid day breaks by the pool and go back in the late afternoon/evening.

You're going to have so much fun!

July 4th is one of my favorite times to go. We always go to EPCOT on the 4th, and the crowd isn't that bad until about 6 p.m. That's when people start coming in for the fireworks. At least that is what it was like last year. I think the "special holiday" fireworks at EPCOT beat the MK shows. Just my opinion.

We were there last year from July 6-20. I can tell you that the crowds were MUCH lower than I anticipated. I was told numerous times it was due to the Brazilian economy being so low that the tour groups weren't as numerous. Be aware that July is the month of the groups and singing and cheering.

We went for 4th of July last year. Yes, the crowds were lower than normal.... but there was a reason. The Olympics were going on at the same time and Brazil had an economy crash. I wouldn't count on this July looking like last July in the least, especially with Pandora opening a little over a month beforehand.

As others have said, change your MK day or at least plan to rope drop. It will be very hot so plan mid day breaks by the pool and go back in the late afternoon/evening.

You're going to have so much fun!

Last July 4th was amazing. Disney had planned for massive crowds and did not get as many as they had planned for, so there were so many buses and cast members and great, long hours but not as many people. We went last year in February, April, July, and September, and July 4th week seemed the least crowded (possibly because September had shorter hours and fewer operating facilities and CMs).

I entered MK about fifteen minutes before the fireworks on the 4th last year and yes, it was packed, and Main Street was closed and those of us incoming were directed to a spot behind Main Street that is typically not open to guests, but I still had a wonderful view- and after the fireworks, the ride lines were practically nil. Walked right on several attractions.

This July may not be as nice as last July and you are right that we should expect large crowds, but that doesn't stop me from hoping for an experience similar to last year's.

Brazil is still going through a terrible recession and has not recovered from the economic collapse last year. I also think a lot of Americans (my husband included) refuse to head to Orlando in July due to the heat.

I guess we will see. Resort availability and dining reservations are still plentiful, but I think we all still need a plan for big crowds anyway.

Thank you all so much!! We ended up swapping one of our MK days with Epcot. We will go to Epcot our first day (the 4th). Ya'll rock :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter