• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Covid Home Test program resuming Monday

FYI, they are saying with the newer variants that home tests don't always pick up infection right away (even the 'gold standard' tests like BinaxNOW. They recommend serial testing (testing a couple of days in a row) to confirm infection (or not). That's actually how those home tests were originally designed to be used (test one, then test again a couple days later to confirm the result). That's why there's two in a pack.

Just letting you know that one negative result doesn't mean you're COVID-free. Either way, hope you feel better soon!

They say with symptoms, one test is OK, but asymptomatic they recommend two. I think it's likely just allergies where I'm sneezing (decent amount of mucus) with a bit of nasal congestion, but I just wanted to be sure. At least Abbott claims that BinaxNOW is just looking for proteins that are present in all COVID-19 antigens.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...9-variants-evolve-we-stay-one-step-ahead.html

I've know a few people who used home tests for international travel where they had to upload the photos of the test kit results. But they only needed to do that once. It could have been worse since some countries required PCR tests. My kid needed a PCR test to go back to school, even though it was taken the day I was told to come take my kid home. But a return wasn't allowed until the symptoms (like a cold) were over, even though a week+ old test result was acceptable.

They say with symptoms, one test is OK, but asymptomatic they recommend two. I think it's likely just allergies where I'm sneezing (decent amount of mucus) with a bit of nasal congestion, but I just wanted to be sure. At least Abbott claims that BinaxNOW is just looking for proteins that are present in all COVID-19 antigens.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...9-variants-evolve-we-stay-one-step-ahead.html
That's the guidance they used to give. I work with physicians who are staying up to date on COVID and the variants and they are recommending serial testing if the first test is negative, regardless of symptoms. Maybe that's not an official statement but that's what I've been hearing. Yes, Abbot is doing great things to stay on top of variants, but many of these tests were developed quite a while ago now and just aren't as effective (I see what Abbot said, but even that is from May of this year, which in variant terms is a loooooong time ago).

Glad to hear for you it's likely just allergies.

That's the guidance they used to give. I work with physicians who are staying up to date on COVID and the variants and they are recommending serial testing if the first test is negative, regardless of symptoms. Maybe that's not an official statement but that's what I've been hearing. Yes, Abbot is doing great things to stay on top of variants, but many of these tests were developed quite a while ago now and just aren't as effective (I see what Abbot said, but even that is from May of this year, which in variant terms is a loooooong time ago).

Glad to hear for you it's likely just allergies.
I had the "newest" one in July, assumed it was what they were calling Kraken but now who knows what was actually newest at that point. My Drs know more than me, I was only going off the news back then and didn't ask, should have asked for the colloquial term or even the alpha numeric. At any rate, whichever was "newest" in July was completely discoverable on the test, I could see when it came and see when it went with the test. Although, to be honest, the Pulse Ox and temp were pretty clear signs too as my pulse went from 82 normal to 114 or so when I was testing positive and my temp went from a normal 98.6 and changed the whole time I was unwell with 100.8 when positive dipping to around 97 when I was testing negative but still fighting it in the middle, tricky germ, which might account for the random chills. I am grateful I am able to afford the tests I used throughout the mess.

As an aside, being immunocompromised things dragged on so I waited 30 days to be around my child who wasn't sick with us. I know 30 days is a lot but I am immunocompromised and was warned so it wasn't a big shock. What was a shock was seeing my cytokines messed up in blood work after an entire month, that was as reality check TBH :( scared the bejezzus out of me. I am super grateful I was able to avoid the hospital and was able to kick it with the Plaxlovid. Seems very doubtful I could have fought it off on my own, so feeling blessed I was able to hold it off until modern medicine caught up.

I'm sharing this because holidays are coming so if you have immunocompromised loved ones be extra careful longer to keep the healthy people safe and keep the immunocompromised healthy so they don't become germ factories & if in doubt, use a test until the CDC says they no longer work.

Mine shipped early yesterday, notified they’d arrive Thursday. Got them today. Original expiration was this past June, extended to January 12, 2024.
Got ours today. The original expiration date was also June here. I guess the reality is the home tests are viable for years after the expiration and a good option to use before getting a PCR test.

Got ours today. The original expiration date was also June here. I guess the reality is the home tests are viable for years after the expiration and a good option to use before getting a PCR test.
Again peeps don't spread inaccurate information.

Expiration dates vary by manufacturer. Some are only several months, some are 10 months, some are 12 months, some are 20 months, some are 21 months, some are 24 months, etc.

It is not based on the expiration date, it's based on the manufactured date (i.e. shelf life). Years after the expiration is inaccurate as well.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...vices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

You can search for your tests there. To verify the exact date of expiration if the test has been extended you can select the hyperlink for "Extended Expiration Date" and look for the lot number. This will tell you old expiration date to new one. If your test is not on that list it reverts to the original expiration date on the packaging.

It's been REALLY bad this year. I'm a high school teacher and my son is in kindergarten at the school down the street - kids are dropping like flies and missing multiple days at both schools! Hope you all feel better ASAP!!!

I actually miss the masks -- I was NEVER sick when we were masking at school! EVER. Didn't get covid, a cold, nothing.

You can definitely keep masking. I wear a mask whenever I go out in public, haven't been sick in over 3 years.

Again peeps don't spread inaccurate information.

Expiration dates vary by manufacturer. Some are only several months, some are 10 months, some are 12 months, some are 20 months, some are 21 months, some are 24 months, etc.

It is not based on the expiration date, it's based on the manufactured date (i.e. shelf life). Years after the expiration is inaccurate as well.

Easy to check at https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...vices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

I suspect that early on the powers that be were being exceptionally reserved in setting expectations which is why there is new info as time goes on.

Since only time could answer how long the tests would actually work I'm sure CDC et.al keep testing the tests for accuracy and will share with us new dates as they discover they hold longer.

I wouldn't trust a Covid Test outside the new dates they set, but, I guess I wouldn't just throw them out either, rather, I I'd put them in a bag to the side a while and see if a new update happens. If not off they go.

Eventually the chemicals in something will degrade and won't work, none of us will know when that day comes but the experts will, and for now it is whatever date they say it is. Gotta be careful people don't make life changing decisions based on a bad tests inaccurate results.

Yes, I linked that in a post just below my response to you.......

Your words of
I guess the reality is the home tests are viable for years after the expiration
were not inaccurate prompting my response. They are solely based on each test by the manufacturer tested by them and providing results to the government and is not based on the expiration date shown on the box, it's by manufactured date. Different tests have different shelf lives certainly not years as a baseline.

I have in my pantry 3 different brands:
BinaxNow (that need to be thrown away)
iHealth
Clinitest by Siemens.

iHeath is from the Federal government and Clinitest is from my state's government. BinaxNow was purchased in August 2022. All 3 companies have differerent shelf lives and different expiration dates. All 3 had their dates extended but the dates varied.

The BinaxNow were extended by 7 months (and were not further extended first expiration date was Feb 2023, new one was September 2023).

iHeath were extended by 3 months (first expiration date was August 2023, new one is November 2023).

Clinitest extended by 11 months (first expiration date was February 2023, new one is March 2024).

You don't want people to just blindly keep using tests that haven't been shown to deliver accurate results past a date. People will want to keep checking the lists to see if more extensions are done as time has gone on.

I guess I wouldn't just throw them out either, rather, I I'd put them in a bag to the side a while and see if a new update happens.
That's what I did/do with mine as well. I'd check periodically if they'd get extended. One time I almost threw out ones that extended not even thinking about it but those ended up being extended so I was glad I checked.

Yes, I linked that in a post just below my response to you.......

Your words of

were not inaccurate prompting my response. They are solely based on each test by the manufacturer tested by them and providing results to the government and is not based on the expiration date shown on the box, it's by manufactured date. Different tests have different shelf lives certainly not years as a baseline.

I have in my pantry 3 different brands:
BinaxNow (that need to be thrown away)
iHealth
Clinitest by Siemens.

iHeath is from the Federal government and Clinitest is from my state's government. BinaxNow was purchased in August 2022. All 3 companies have differerent shelf lives and different expiration dates. All 3 had their dates extended but the dates varied.

The BinaxNow were extended by 7 months (and were not further extended first expiration date was Feb 2023, new one was September 2023).

iHeath were extended by 3 months (first expiration date was August 2023, new one is November 2023).

Clinitest extended by 11 months (first expiration date was February 2023, new one is March 2024).

You don't want people to just blindly keep using tests that haven't been shown to deliver accurate results past a date. People will want to keep checking the lists to see if more extensions are done as time has gone on.
Like I said, the home tests are just a preliminary action to determine if you should get a PCR test.

Like I said, the home tests are just a preliminary action to determine if you should get a PCR test.

Home tests are much more than a preliminary action. They’re a very reliable alternative to PCR testing. Unless you have a specific need for a PCR, a work sick leave requirement for example, or don’t have access to home tests, most people are fine with the home tests. If you get a +home test, that is very reliable, so you don’t need a PCR. If you have symptoms, but get a negative test, you can retest with a home test 2 days later or go for a PCR. However, I have several family members who had PCR tests come back negative. But 2 days later, they were + on home tests. The PCRs aren’t picking all infections up either. Doctors here are treating based on patient home tests, they don’t require PCRs & aren’t advising PCRs after a + home test.

Home tests are much more than a preliminary action. They’re a very reliable alternative to PCR testing. Unless you have a specific need for a PCR, a work sick leave requirement for example, or don’t have access to home tests, most people are fine with the home tests. If you get a +home test, that is very reliable, so you don’t need a PCR. If you have symptoms, but get a negative test, you can retest with a home test 2 days later or go for a PCR. However, I have several family members who had PCR tests come back negative. But 2 days later, they were + on home tests. The PCRs aren’t picking all infections up either. Doctors here are treating based on patient home tests, they don’t require PCRs & aren’t advising PCRs after a + home test.
Yes some employers require a negative PCR test before you can return to work, or take more than a few days off using sick time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter