• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Dining 2014 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I don't understand what that last statement means.

turning into a Disney fanatic

She said that in her career (over 30 yrs) once they announce which resorts are not included in FD, she has never seen them retract and open it back up. :confused3

We're traveling with 4 kids (3 of them are Disney adults) and no matter how I run numbers it's ALWAYS been cheaper for us to stay Value/2 rooms. Even when none of them were adults per Disney standards......so I'm not sure what the tipping point is when it comes to being cheaper to upgrade to a Mod. I wish I did....we never have stayed at one because I never can justify the increase in price.

The difference between 2 rooms at a Value and a Mod is a bit closer in price then it has been in years past now that our children are becoming Disney adults and that upgrade dining price increases. But still, the difference is $200.00 cheaper for POP this year versus a Mod

I'd consider the extra 1k for WL, but our last stay we were hardly in the room at all. Just to get ready and to sleep. I wonder if it would be ok to just go with All Star Music?

Does anyone know what the discounts were for room only last fall? Mousesavers only has a range... not which resorts had what.

Well then, now that I'm all caught up. :surfweb:

I will say this, in the past, I've always casually waltzed to my mailbox, pulled out the "FREE DINING OFFER" ad, and decided to book when I felt like it. I have NEVER, EVER stalked and called the moment they open like I am this time. I think finding this board is making my hair fall out, lol! :lmao:

So True. I have DWADD (Disney World ADD). At work compiling a report, oh wait if I do this resort can I add Deluxe Dining?" I am severely addicting to this board.:wave2:

Curious if I am doing the math wrong. We have a BB offer for 35% off WL in Nov. Regular dining and 1 day ticket (we have other tickets). This seems to be cheaper than FD. It's only me and my husband.

Saw they just added Harambe Nights to the Special Events page today. Is this new? I've never heard of it. Wonder if this is the reason for the OT? Tickets are on sale now.

I'd consider the extra 1k for WL, but our last stay we were hardly in the room at all. Just to get ready and to sleep. I wonder if it would be ok to just go with All Star Music?

Does anyone know what the discounts were for room only last fall? Mousesavers only has a range... not which resorts had what.

I just read something on the room discounts and it's rumored to be tiered on resort level and travel time this year....so very confusing. Normally it's 20% Value, 25% Mod and 30% Deluxe. Then AOA was only 15%....not sure if other Suites were also at 15% or not as we've not had need of a Room Only discount before this year.

Curious if I am doing the math wrong. We have a BB offer for 35% off WL in Nov. Regular dining and 1 day ticket (we have other tickets). This seems to be cheaper than FD. It's only me and my husband.

RO discounts usually end up being a better deal than FD in the Deluxe resorts. :)

We're traveling with 4 kids (3 of them are Disney adults) and no matter how I run numbers it's ALWAYS been cheaper for us to stay Value/2 rooms. Even when none of them were adults per Disney standards......so I'm not sure what the tipping point is when it comes to being cheaper to upgrade to a Mod. I wish I did....we never have stayed at one because I never can justify the increase in price.

The difference between 2 rooms at a Value and a Mod is a bit closer in price then it has been in years past now that our children are becoming Disney adults and that upgrade dining price increases. But still, the difference is $200.00 cheaper for POP this year versus a Mod

It's probably because you have three people per room. Put four people in a room, all of them over age 10, and I think at that point a mod is cheaper. When you can put five in a mod (like at POR) then it is definitely cheaper.

Do you know, did they say POR was excluded for promo or just not available your dates?

We were at CBR and I asked for the offer to be applied to POR and he checked and came back and said, "not part of the offer". I then said we would need to be in POP standard, could he look for that and he came back and said ,"yes POP is available." I would wait to make sure POR is really excluded. I know I will be calling back when the offer is released to try and change.

QUESTION...
If I go deluxe resort with free dining, can I down-grade to regular dining plan? I do not know how we would be able to eat all that food... I know you can up-grade but what about the other way?

She said that in her career (over 30 yrs) once they announce which resorts are not included in FD, she has never seen them retract and open it back up. :confused3

I need to clarify this - she was referring to gp release of promos, not VISA then gp. Translation: Release of gp promo for FD exludes "these resorts". She said they don't "change their minds" in a month and open them back up. They were excluded for a reason. She did say that she has seen a different list for VISA and then GP release.

Your math is probably right. With only two people "free" dining isn't as much of a bargain, and at a deluxe resort your dollars off per night with a room only discount is higher than at a less expensive resort, again making the value of free dining less. Plus, you would have to buy two day tickets with free dining and with your deal you only have to buy one day tickets. :thumbsup2

I hadn't even considered the possibility of older children! Ours are young and only cost $3ish/day to upgrade. I should still run the numbers again, because if it's only a slight increase, I'd much rather stay at CBR than any value! Thanks!!

We are going in September, 6 of us (4 adults, and 2 children, ages 4 & 7). We were originally going to stay at POR as that is where I always stay, but my parents wanted to keep the costs down as much as possible. Since POR is sold out of Standard rooms, I used the CBR standard room rate. For 6 nights in a standard room at CBR with 6 day park tickets (no park hopper or waterpark), the cost would have been $4,312.18 (assuming free dining is offered). Going to POP now, and the cost is $3,367.26 for 2 standard rooms (assuming QSDP is offered), and to upgrade to the DDP, total cost would be $3,861.30. We would still be saving $450.88 by staying at POP...and more so if we moved to one of the AS resorts. I think when you have just one room, with older kids, moving up to the mod would be about the same price, but in our case, it works out cheaper to stay at POP. I know it's only $450...but that gives us more money to spend in the parks!! pixiedust:

QUESTION...
If I go deluxe resort with free dining, can I down-grade to regular dining plan? I do not know how we would be able to eat all that food... I know you can up-grade but what about the other way?

Deluxe resorts get the regular dining plan with free dining, not the deluxe dining plan. Or did you want the quick service plan only, with no table service meals? I don't think you can downgrade, but I'm not positive.

I need to clarify. She said that once Disney releases the GP promotion with exclusion, a month later they don't "change their minds" and reopen a resort for the promotion. She has seen different lists for VISA vs GP on some occasions.

Now that is a bit clearer than mud.;)

Nope, your math is probably right! Since you would be paying rack rate to get the FD offer, the package could be better getting 35% off and just paying for the dining plan!

We are going in September, 6 of us (4 adults, and 2 children, ages 4 & 7). We were originally going to stay at POR as that is where I always stay, but my parents wanted to keep the costs down as much as possible. Since POR is sold out of Standard rooms, I used the CBR standard room rate. For 6 nights in a standard room at CBR with 6 day park tickets (no park hopper or waterpark), the cost would have been $4,312.18 (assuming free dining is offered). Going to POP now, and the cost is $3,367.26 for 2 standard rooms (assuming QSDP is offered), and to upgrade to the DDP, total cost would be $3,861.30. We would still be saving $450.88 by staying at POP...and more so if we moved to one of the AS resorts. I think when you have just one room, with older kids, moving up to the mod would be about the same price, but in our case, it works out cheaper to stay at POP. I know it's only $450...but that gives us more money to spend in the parks!! pixiedust:

It's a combination of having two children (with that far less expensive dining plan upgrade cost) and only an average of three people per room. The mod really only saves money for four adult dining plan guests in one room, I think. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter