Free Dining AND discount question

DisFamx5

Earning My Ears
Long time lurker but first time posting. Anyways I have searched for this answer but have been unsuccessful so figured I'd ask here.

We are a family of 5 so our options are sometimes limited. Can I book a room with the FD Visa discount for my family of 5 and book another room with a room discount? I understand I can't have free dining and a room discount on 1 room but if I wanted another room could I do that? I am the head on the FD reservation and my husband would be the head on the additional room if allowed.

I don't want to cheat the system or get into a debate over anything. Just interested in an answer. I usually book 2 moderate rooms and split the names up but really want to stay at the Poly on our next trip. With 3 teens it's too cramped for 1 room and bathroom even though it sleeps 5 but I don't want to book 2 packages either defeats the purpose.

thanks in advance

Long time lurker but first time posting. Anyways I have searched for this answer but have been unsuccessful so figured I'd ask here.

We are a family of 5 so our options are sometimes limited. Can I book a room with the FD Visa discount for my family of 5 and book another room with a room discount? I understand I can't have free dining and a room discount on 1 room but if I wanted another room could I do that? I am the head on the FD reservation and my husband would be the head on the additional room if allowed.

I don't want to cheat the system or get into a debate over anything. Just interested in an answer. I usually book 2 moderate rooms and split the names up but really want to stay at the Poly on our next trip. With 3 teens it's too cramped for 1 room and bathroom even though it sleeps 5 but I don't want to book 2 packages either defeats the purpose.

thanks in advance

Each room would be its own reservation, so I don't see why not. What you have to remember though is that everyone that is in the room with free dining has to all be on the same package, each has to have the same # of nights. I would think you'd book the one room, with everyone on it as a MYW package, with free dining and all your park tickets. Then you'd book a 2nd room only reservation with hopefully some kind of discount. Only problem that you might run into is that any room discount might also require a minimum # of people and park ticket add-ons. I guess you won't know until an actual offer comes out and what the terms are.

I don't know why this would be considered cheating as you are basically simply renting an extra room without getting any extra perks for doing so.

Will be interested to see how others answer.

Two years ago I got a PIN for free dining or room only discount. I was traveling with 2 families, but I was in my room myself. I used the free dining on their 2 rooms and the room discount on my room without a problem because the room discount saved me more and the dining saved them more.

well

My husband is a hotel employee so we get an interline discount. The problem I think I'd run into is having the same person listed on 2 different reservations? That's really what I was wondering with the question and what I initially meant to ask I guess. I understand we all have to have the same # of tix and dining, etc. I want that just want another room as well

Essentially this is what I want to do
1 Rack rate room with free dining for 5 (myself, dh, and 3 kids)
1 room with discount (DH's reservation)

well

My husband is a hotel employee so we get an interline discount. The problem I think I'd run into is having the same person listed on 2 different reservations? That's really what I was wondering with the question and what I initially meant to ask I guess. I understand we all have to have the same # of tix and dining, etc. I want that just want another room as well

Essentially this is what I want to do
1 Rack rate room with free dining for 5 (myself, dh, and 3 kids)
1 room with discount (DH's reservation)

Probably not. I think it would be considered a "ghost" booking.
I don't think he could have both the room AND the free dining.

I think it would be cheaper to get one 5 person room at POR, too.

They won't let you book another reservation in anyone's name that is on your reservation for package.

Thanks! I didn't think the same person could be on 2 different reservations but wasn't sure.

I wasn't necessarily looking to stay the cheapest option otherwise we'd just do 1 POR room as mentioned. We have stayed there numerous times but as the kids are bigger now there just isn't enough room for us. I just didn't want to pay rack rate for 2 Poly rooms if I didn't have to. I think we'll just stay at our go to resort room (AKV-Kidani for 2 bathrooms) and just pay for food instead of going with Free Dining. I'll have to price that out and see if we come out any better.

Thanks for your help!

One year I had a room with FD for me and my 11 yo nephew. My sister and BIL decided to join us 3-4 days into the reservation so I called to add them to our room.

I told the CM they would not be there the whole trip. The CM said I had to pay for the additional adult charge for my entire stay. Unbeknown to me, my sister called to make a reservation at the same hotel for her dates. The CM told her that she and her DH were already on a reservation. My sister told the CM she thought we would be too crowded and was allowed to make a reservation with a room only (AAA?) discount.

I had no problem checking in for all of us with the dining and ticket package, and my sister had no problem checking in a few days later with her room only.

So, it may work for you as well. You also may want to run numbers with 4 in one room with the FD and your DH in another room with a room discount. You may still save $ at the Poly paying OOP for some meals, or adding tickets and dining to your husband's room only.

Yes, you can. I have a friend who books a room for herself club level and a separate room for her adult son ( and whoever is his current girlfriend) at the same resort. She always puts her son/gf on HER reservation as well as their own. Why? So they can enjoy the club lounge and benefits. I can't imagine Disney would care if you are willing to spend more money for an extra room and space. After all, you are still paying for your package as well.

I might have him try it just to see if they let him. Otherwise we'll just stay at AKV which is somewhat affordable with his room discount plus we'd get 2 bathrooms which is my main goal

My husband said he'd like to go to F/W next fall as well so him and I may just get APs although I guess we could just use our 2 day park tix to upgrade to APs if we went with FD. Me and my spreadsheet will just have to get busy later this week to figure it all out so I can get it booked.

Thanks for your help everybody!

I don't see why you couldn't..... I know the res. system won't allow for 2 of the same kind of res. at the same time-i.e. room only or package, but I'm willing to bet one of each would work.....or add another person to your dining room instead of Dh's name when booking,like Grandma? it's not like you're trying to get a second room free,you're using a separate discount for that other res. altogether.....I could be wrong as I haven't done it,but why can't you?:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter