Free Dining Plan ROCKS

Whew! I am so in!!!!! Great so far!

Thank you...will try to finish this up soon.

I CAN NOT wait to try the gnocchi sea Gnocchi do. It will be my birthday dinner and that is what I have already decided on. Your pictures are great. I can't wait for vacation.;)

Great choice for a birthday dinner! Is your vacation soon? (I hope for your sake)

Yeah!

fantastic reviews and photos :goodvibes:

Thank you...got more coming!

Not a bad start at all to what would be one of the most memorable eating day of our Disney lives.

Coming up...my favorite of all time (and it wasn't even one of our free Dining meals)...and Husband's favorite (his was). :cool1:[/QUOTE]

Okay, you're leaving us hanging.... do tell

Not a bad start at all to what would be one of the most memorable eating day of our Disney lives.

Coming up...my favorite of all time (and it wasn't even one of our free Dining meals)...and Husband's favorite (his was). :cool1:

Okay, you're leaving us hanging.... do tell[/QUOTE]

Pesky work has been getting in my way and I had to go to the gym...trying to work off some of the free dining :banana:

But I'm ready now...

So, I know it might seem like we didn't do anything in between eating and drinking, but we did do attractions and walked a LOT, I swear :cool1:

We had shared that one breakfast, so it didn't take too long before we started looking for what we could use our last two counter-service credits on. It didn't take us long to realize that options for counter-service in Epcot aren't all that unique (nothing was crying out to us at Sunshine Season), and to make matters worse, I started to crave pizza.

When I suggested pizza to Husband, he agreed that it sounded like a good idea. So we abandoned the counter-service idea and headed to Italy to see if we might get lucky.

We walked into Via Napoli at prime lunch time and I immediately confessed to not having reservations, and could they possibly have room for two? Yes? Score! :thumbsup2

From the moment we were greeted until we left, they could not possibly have made us feel more welcome. We were seated at a table for two near a window on the far end from the kitchen (wouldn't have minded sitting closer though to watch the action).

It doesn't take much to encourage me to have a glass of wine... this sign on the table did the trick:

I went with a glass of the chardonnay, along with some water, and Husband professing to being parched, went for unsweetened iced tea.

Now the big decision was, what did we want on our pizza? This one sounded really good:

Piccante Pizza - Large
tomato sauce, Italian spicy sausage, mozzarella

Seriously, $31 for a pizza? Yikes! Oh well, a craving is a craving!

We asked them to add olives to it for $3.50 more.

Still I was thinking this was quite the splurge...I mean, $34.50 for a pizza? :scared1:

But then the heavens opened up and this landed on our table :worship:

Oh my, I can't look at this pic without wanting one right now! I will say that I have eaten a LOT of pizza in my life. I have my five-star faves, but this one ranks up there as my all-time favorite! The quality of every ingredient was so top-notch! The freshest mozzarella, spicy fantastic sausage, superb salty olives, robust sauce, perfect thin crust...pizza heaven!

I wouldn't care how much they charged for this, I would pay it again and again. And yes, the two of us ate the whole thing! :love: I did have to apologize for sacrificing some crust, but it was necessary to make sure none of the rest was wasted.

There's only been one other Disney food item that I have reacted soooo strongly to and that is the potato wrapped snapper at Flying Fish. I could eat both every week for the rest of my life. sigh. (The only reason we didn't go to Flying Fish on this trip was I was bound and determined to try new places.)

To make our experience even better they arrived with a song and surprise birthday dessert for me.

Especially surprising because while I had a birthday button on my over-the-shoulder-bag,I had put that bag under the table on the floor. Don't know when or how they saw it, unless it was when we arrived. We shared this and it was light and delicious. Glad it was small though, because we were so full from that big pizza!

All around, this was a truly magical, most-memorable Italian Disney dining experience! Although not inexpensive, it was worth every penny, and way cheaper than a flight to Italy!

Coming up more drinking and Husband's favorite Disney meal!

We did our best to walk off a lot of that pizza by walking back to Future Showcase, hung out there for awhile, before we found ourselves back in the World Showcase. About the time it started to rain, we decided it was time for a little drinkee-poo. And what better place to duck into than Mexico, for a boat ride and some tequila! :thumbsup2

There was no sign up, but it appeared to be a seat-yourself place. The bar was crowded with people standing. Not us, it was way too good of an opportunity to get off those tired feet. A comfy couch awaited our derrieres.

Husband tried the Pomegranate Margarita which is described as: Milagro Silver Tequila, orange liquor, agave nectar, pomegranate liquor, pineapple, lime juice, served on the rocks with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim for $14.50.

Alhough torn between a couple, I couldn't resist the Blood Orange Margarita: Tequila, orange liqueur, sweet-tart mix of blood orange juice, topped with wild berry foam, served on the rocks with a Tajin chili powder rim for $13.00.

We were offered chips and salsa but were still too full from the pizza, so we just had the two drinks, which we both really enjoyed. Husband's was much sweeter and more fruit-punch tasting than mine. At first I feared the wild berry foam was going to be too sweet and thick (looked that way when it came out), but it was much lighter than it looked. And while I love the chili powder rim, it quickly became too salty for me. Would have much preferred pure spice without the salt.

Wonderful cozy place to relax and have a drink in the World Showcase! Warning though! We were told the only bathrooms in the pavilion were for guests dining. They are past the dining room. (which maybe you can talk your way into as a tequila-drinking guest, I don't know, didn't try). The next closest restroom is between Mexico and Norway.

I will say though that surprisingly neither of us got even a teeny tiny tequila buzz. :sad:

So what could possibly be better than a cozy tequila bar in World Showcase? Yup...a cozy wine bar! Sure you can stand in one of the shops and sip from a plastic cup :confused3 OR you can sit down and enjoy some out of real glass at Tutto Gusto. :yay:

We were greeted just as warmly here as we had earlier at Via Napoli and given a table for two, even though we told them we were just drinking and not eating. They weren't busy though. (pays to hit this park on a Monday off-season).

View from my seat included the bar area:

And this case of yummy-looking salads, desserts, cheeses and salami:

Our charming Server (and I DO mean CHARMING! :thumbsup2) asked about my likes before recommending the "Under the Tuscan Sun" wine flight of three wines.

He could not possibly have chosen better for me. I loved every one of the three wines! Especially loved that I got to try both white and red. If I remember correctly, the flight was $16. They have a version of six wines for $28, which was certainly enticing...maybe another time.

Meanwhile, Husband the non-wine-lover (gasp!) asked about light refreshing beer, and went with Server's suggestion. He said it was okay, was indeed light and refreshing. We were surprised that it was a ten dollar beer though! (that's what the boy gets for ordering beer in a wine cellar anyway.) :rolleyes2

Let me just say that Italy needs to build a hotel in World Showcase for me. (better yet, apartments!) But since I can't move in now, I guess I'll have to settle for future visits. Come to think of it, I did get an email from Southwest today about a sale...

So what could possibly be better than a cozy tequila bar in World Showcase? Yup...a cozy wine bar! Sure you can stand in one of the shops and sip from a plastic cup :confused3 OR you can sit down and enjoy some out of real glass at Tutto Gusto. :yay:

Our charming Server (and I DO mean CHARMING! :thumbsup2) asked about my likes before recommending the "Under the Tuscan Sun" wine flight of three wines.

He could not possibly have chosen better for me. I loved every one of the three wines! Especially loved that I got to try both white and red. If I remember correctly, the flight was $16. They have a version of six wines for $28, which was certainly enticing...maybe another time.

Meanwhile, Husband the non-wine-lover (gasp!) asked about light refreshing beer, and went with Server's suggestion. He said it was okay, was indeed light and refreshing. We were surprised that it was a ten dollar beer though! (that's what the boy gets for ordering beer in a wine cellar anyway.) :rolleyes2

Let me just say that Italy needs to build a hotel in World Showcase for me. (better yet, apartments!) But since I can't move in now, I guess I'll have to settle for future visits. Come to think of it, I did get an email from Southwest today about a sale...

I love love love the pizza at Via. It is a must every trip... sometimes 2x

I also love the wine flights in the wine cellar. We make it a point to try a flight each trip as well:thumbsup2

I love love love the pizza at Via. It is a must every trip... sometimes 2x

I also love the wine flights in the wine cellar. We make it a point to try a flight each trip as well:thumbsup2

Nice to know others appreciate the Italian awesomeness here too!

Okay, time to move on to Husband's favorite meal (although he agrees with how great the pizza was at Via Napoli). I would also like to quickly correct the price of the wine flight at Tutto Gusto. I found the receipt and it was $14, not $16. :)

Before we went on our trip, Husband's reservation request was for Le Cellier. We had attempted to get in one time without reservations, and well, you all know how that went. :sad:

For this Monday night, we had 7:30 reservations. :wizard:

We showed up a tad early, and barely waited at all. I had read so many comments that called it "small and dark", that it sure was bigger and brighter than I expected. Had no problem reading the menu. BIG problem narrowing down the awesome-sounding choices though. :scratchin

Service was excellent from beginning to end. Husband had iced tea and the Whiskey Flight (for under nine bucks...a DEAL!).

I kid you not, all this whiskey was just $8.75. One was maple (not his favorite), not sure what the other two were except for the fact that they made him very happy. :thumbsup2

I had to try the Martini flight:

While these might look really cool, not as much of a deal, imho. These glasses were pretty small (a couple swallows each), and all three were sweet. Would have been nice to have a dry one in the middle. There was the blue glow-tini, which was good and refreshing, but teeny tiny. The second one was a Toronto (or something like that), a couple sips of something completely unmemorable. The last was a chocolate martini that I saved til after the meal. A couple sips of sweet goodness, with a little tasty chocolate twirl.

You've all heard about their delicious pretzel bread (it's true), and the slightly sweet/salty topping on the butter really puts it over the top.

For my entree I chose "Golden Tilefish: Prosciutto, Pork Belly Tortellini, Arugula, Roasted Tomato Fume, Cauliflower Gremolata.

It was a thick meaty piece of fish wrapped in thin prosciutto. Needed a knife to cut through the prosciutto. This was rich and delicious...very filling! Loved the Gremolata, and would have liked more on it. The sauce was very rich and buttery. The pork belly tortellini was surprisingly light. (maybe because there was no cheese). Could barely detect any arugula though. A good handful would have helped cut through the richness of the rest of the dish.

Husband was torn between a couple of the steak dishes, but decided to go with the famous filet:

So while I was daintily (hah!) eating my delicate light fish :rolleyes2 Husband was moaning and groaning with glee over his Canadian Beef Tenderloin, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Pearl Onions, and White-Truffle Butter Sauce.

Proclaimed it the best Filet he's ever eaten! (and my Mid-Western guy has done his share!) This was also probably the most expensive too, but thanks to "free" dining we didn't have to pay that $46! :cool1:

Also thanks to free dining, we shared: Citrus Olive Oil Cake
Vanilla-Mint Panna Cotta, Berry Gelée, Chili Pepper Sorbet, Sesame Tuile

This was light and when you combined everything into one bite, was especially extraordinary. I loved the chili pepper sorbet...both refreshing and spicy at the same time.

As if all that wasn't good enough, the timing for us turned out perfectly. When we came out, Illuminations was about to start. And what a great place to view that, from right outside this wonderful restaurant. pixiedust:

We only had two table-service credits left, which we knew is all we would have for this meal. We could have picked a one-credit each restaurant, but Husband really wanted to try this, and I'm so glad we did because it was his favorite Disney meal of all time. :love:
Free dining still saved us $46 for the beef and $10 for dessert. We paid out of pocket for my fish, and the drinks which was $65.77 before gratuity.

Up next, we still have two counter-service and six snacks and we have to check out tomorrow! :scratchin

Time to get 'er done, finish this report. The masses are clambering for it. :rotfl2: You are busy, I am busy, we're not on vacation anymore. :crazy2:

So we left Epcot and went back to our home-away-from-home, Port Orleans French Quarter, and hung out at Scat Cats for awhile again. This time Tom Casey was catering to the older crowd (it was a Monday night instead of the"rock" Saturday night we had experienced with him before.) He was doing more of the Sinatra type thing and sounded like he was in better voice from Saturday night. Audience members appeared to be enjoying themselves and he was taking requests that they were writing down. (he seems to do whatever he can to avoid human contact).

Even though things were not exactly jumping here, with one bartender, we did again have to wait awhile for a drink. Also, they must have been out of clean glasses, because Husband brought me wine in plastic. I never am crazy about drinking out of plastic, especially when it costs as much as real glass from two nights before.

Anyway, we still enjoyed our time here for our last night on Disney property.

Sadly, we had to eventually turn in. Time for our last night on one of the most uncomfortable beds ever, that we could forgive because it was a Disney bed. :sad2:

Before we went to bed, we stopped into Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory to refill our mugs with tea. A rare opportunity to see this place empty.

Wanna drink?

Husband was taking pics too

Only at this time of night (late) will you see the food area looking like this:

And as late as it was, this gentleman was still cleaning what appeared to be already clean:

Sorry, I digress...this is about food, and soon it was morning and we needed to use up two counter-service. Our choices were well, eat breakfast here or lose the credits. In other words, NO choice. :rolleyes1

Of course, in the morning, this place looked nothing like it had at night. It was crowded as heck. Time to do the best we could to attempt to get hot food. What we really wanted was to try their po' boys. We had seen a couple of them be served a few days before when we checked in and they looked awesome. Sadly though it was only typical breakfast options. :sad1:

But we decided to make the most of it. Husband went with the Breakfast Bounty Platter

I opted for the Western Omelet, and the gal was kind enough to sub a Mickey Waffle for the taters.

You wait in line here to order and get your food, then wait in line to pay (or have your credits checked). The gal at the register was kind enough to tell us we could have two bottled drinks with our plan, but we didn't want to hold up folks behind us, and we really wanted our food to be warm, so we said to skip it.

Both of us thought our breakfasts were good. Simple. Good. I loved that sugar free syrup is an option. Saved a few calories. Especially important when holding out for was the famous beignets! :banana: (time to finally use one of those 6 snack credits we still had)

Back to the counter I went, asked for an order of three and was told it would be about five minutes. Sure, no problem. Was given a receipt to take to the register. Got my snack credit registered (worth $2.99) and went back to the counter to watch them make this fried specialty.

Yes, this is worth the wait! Yes, it really is that good! Fried dough at its' best! Covered in powdered sugar, it is much lighter than it looks, as the inside is air. A wonderful last dining hurrah! :yay:

We were now left with one final Disney dilemma. What to do about our remaining five snack credits? :scratchin

Off to the store we went to see what our options were. We soon discovered that they were a tad on the limited side. So may I suggest strongly that if you have snack credits to use on a dining plan, you might want to use them more adventurously than we did?

This is what we ended up with:

They made great little gifts for a tiny niece and well, ourselves. :cool1:

So, for those of you waiting with baited breath to see how well we financially fared with free Disney Dining :rolleyes:

Here's how it stacked up: (more or less, I am so not a math gal...there is slight rounding up going on to avoid painful math)

Counter-Service at the Magic Kingdom:

$35 at Columbia Harbour House
$35 at Pecos Bill

Table Service at Raglan Road: $78

Table Service at Ohana: $81

Table Service at Le Cellier: $56

Counter-Service at Sassagoula breakfast: $18

Snack Credits: Six at approximately $3 each: $18

Grand total for free dining... (drumroll please) $339! :cheer2:

Of course we probably drank way more than that in Disney liquor dollars :joker: ...but the "free" dining sure made it all feel like we had gotten a deal. A fun, tasty, wonderful deal. :dance3:

We were sad to leave, but happy that our vacation wasn't quite over. We were on to Universal for a night. For anyone interested, I am doing a report in that forum for that part of our journey.

Thanks for joining me on this one. Am happy to answer any questions or talk about any of this with you! :grouphug:

They are indeed really good...not sure I would go way out of my way for them, however, as they are fried dough with powdered sugar. If you are in the vicinity, by all means!

And thanks so much for responding, as I've been wondering if anyone was out there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter