• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Internet Access in DVC Lobbies?

WelcomeHome

Mouseketeer
I "think" I recall reading that there's free Internet access in the lobby @ BWV - or did I just dream that. What about the lobby at BCV and Vero Beach?

Do any of the DVC lobbies offer a "business services" room where you can hook up to the Internet and pay as needed.

I'll be taking my laptop to BCV and Vero Beach for the first time next week and I simply need to check my e-mails from work - it should take about 5 minutes every other day. Yes, I will have a car if that helps!

Any advice or info would be appreciated!

Best wishes,
Dave

I don't know about BWV but there is definitely free lobby wireless internet access at Vero. They also have one of their computers in the lobby that you can pay to use, but it sounds like you won't need to do that.

If BWV doesn't turn out to have lobby wireless access, a backup for you might be the conference center at the Yacht Club. Kind of a hike, but they do have a business office where you can pay to use a computer.

Have a great vacation!

Sorry, no free internet access at any WDW resort - including DVC. While there is wireless access available in the lobbies of many of the resorts, it is not free. It costs $9.95 per day.

Unless something has recently changed, in-room access is available for $9.95 per 24-hour block. Wireless access (available in select areas, including BW lobby and pool area) is billed separately at $12.95 per 24-hours.

BW is a convention resort and it's always possible that an unsecured access point will be set-up temporarily by convention groups. Even guests could bring a travel access point for their room and leave it open to all guests to use. But none of the WDW Disney-owned resorts offer free service, wireless or otherwise, to guests.

JUst so you know, I had a problem for two days with the wireless at the BCV and the money was returned to my credit card. Complain if it doesn't work after you have shelled out $10.

JUst so you know, I had a problem for two days with the wireless at the BCV and the money was returned to my credit card. Complain if it doesn't work after you have shelled out $10.

Wireless at BCV? On was it the wired internet? FWIW, the wired internet at BCV is doing just fine right now!

I don't know...to check email every other day for 5 minutes at a time, I'd seriously consider just using dial-up...local calls are free (use an Orlando, not a Kissimee, area code)...it's slower than high-speed, but not too annoyingly slow...what would take 5 minutes on high-speed might take 6 minutes on dial-up...at least that was my experience at OKW over Labor Day...

Otherwise, there's a cable in the room that you hook your laptop up to...I don't think it's wireless...but I'm a computer dunce...I just do what my computer-savvy son tells me to do!

That would be cool if it was free - but for the last 2 years, I have paid the $9.95 for a 24 hour period plus taxes. I need to get online each day myself - but am able to spread out one 24 hour period over two days (6pm to 6pm) - then don't check in again for 24 hours etc. But, I put in $50 into my budget for internet... not cheap.

There is a business center near BWV - is it BC/YC? I have used that before. They charge by the minute! The nice woman there one year (about 4 years ago) would let me hook up my computer - download my emails, then log off. Since I could do it in about 2 minutes, she sweetly never charged me! A little Disney Magic I guess. I tried that at CSR one year - and they charged me each time.... oh well. That is their job. :)

Even guests could bring a travel access point for their room and leave it open to all guests to use. .
A growing number of guests are doing exactly that. It's a very nice gesture I appreciate. Always check before paying to hook up, as there may be a free wireless connection available.

Travel access point... how very cool. Never heard of it, but if some kindly guest wants to spread some Disney Magic - that would be awesome! If I knew how to do it, I would...

I set up an open wireless connection on every trip now. I label it "Free 4 DVC neighbors". It's exactly 20 characters so it fits nicely :)

Make sure you know how to lock down your PC before doing such a thing though. If you aren't 100% sure you know what you are doing, this might not be the best idea.

It's also one more thing I leave in my Owner's Locker so it's no sweat to set it up since it's all done already for me on every trip now :)

I set up an open wireless connection on every trip now. I label it "Free 4 DVC neighbors". It's exactly 20 characters so it fits nicely :)

Make sure you know how to lock down your PC before doing such a thing though. If you aren't 100% sure you know what you are doing, this might not be the best idea.

It's also one more thing I leave in my Owner's Locker so it's no sweat to set it up since it's all done already for me on every trip now :)

Good info. We usually use a Sprint aircard attached to the computer, so we no longer pay for the WDW internet fee either.

So when are you going next and where are you staying WebmasterCricket?? :)

I teach online classes part time, so I always have a couple going while on vacation. Plus, I run a family business, so I need to get online each day. Yes... it's vacation, but I get up early and take care of work. Plus - the classes pay for our trips and our DVC - so no one in the family complains that mom gets up and works at 5-6am each day!

Plus - I love getting up early at BWV, heading out with my laptop and getting some coffee. I find a quiet spot and enjoy the peacefulness of the resort. The view of the boardwalk and lake are wonderful. I love that not many are up and about. If the wireless is working - I use that. Or, I work offline, the log in back at the room and post my stuff. Easy peasy.

While its a nice thing to do, I can't say I'd be comfortable being responsible for what other people access on the net. While most people might only access appropriate content, still there are those that do illegal activities with open net access. Since you are responsible for the connection, then you could also get entanged in the activities of others. Not a chance I'm willing to take.

Plus you would have to have a dial-up account to connect to.

Some Internet providers supply free dial-up service to those with high-speed plans. I've had DSL for several years now and dial-up is part of the package. I keep the dial-up software on my laptop so that I can use it as I travel. I think in my last trip to WDW, I paid for one 24-hour block of high-speed and used dial-up the rest of the time.

Some Internet providers supply free dial-up service to those with high-speed plans. I've had DSL for several years now and dial-up is part of the package. I keep the dial-up software on my laptop so that I can use it as I travel. I think in my last trip to WDW, I paid for one 24-hour block of high-speed and used dial-up the rest of the time.

I didn't know that... I'll bet that's limited to DSL though. Maybe some satellite ISPs if the company still uses copper wire for the upstream. Thanks for the info though.

sorry but can you explain how this works?

we don't have a lap top yet but are hopefully getting one by our next planned trip and would love to access emails while away and hate the idea of paying 50-$100 just for a few minutes a day to check emails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter