• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Free Parking Options - WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seema

Mouseketeer
I guess it is free for Disney Springs.

What about if I want to go to Boardwalk?
If I want to go on the monorail?
If I want to go on the skyliner?

Any other options free?
If I want to visit a WDW resort hotel?

Any other options free?
Parking at the resorts is at the discretion of the gate attendant if you do not have a dining reservation. They are unlikely to allow you to park just to look around at any of the monorail or Skyliner resorts. Boardwalk might allow it but I would not count on it, especially during the F&W festival.

Parking at the resorts is at the discretion of the gate attendant if you do not have a dining reservation. They are unlikely to allow you to park just to look around at any of the monorail or Skyliner resorts. Boardwalk might allow it but I would not count on it, especially during the F&W festival.
Boardwalk is also a Skyliner resort as it is right next to IG.

Parking at Typhoon Lagoon is free (at least is used to be, haven't been there in a few years). Of course the bus from there goes to Disney Springs, so that does not make it an attractive way to get to a resort!

Any other options free?
Park at Disney Springs and ...

... take bus to Boardwalk.
... take bus to monorail resort then get on monorail.
... take bus to skyliner resort then get on skyliner.
... take a bus to any resort you wish to visit.

If you have a resort ADR they will let you in and park for that. If you plan to venture off and do a theme park or ride transportation elsewhere .. they do not want you doing that. So if that is the case, take transportation in or move your car.

So without an advanced dining reservation, are you saying that one can not park free of charge anywhere at WDW outside of Disney Springs.

About 5-6 yrs ago, when I last visited Boardwalk, I could park free of charge. Is that possible now?

So without an advanced dining reservation, are you saying that one can not park free of charge anywhere at WDW outside of Disney Springs.

About 5-6 yrs ago, when I last visited Boardwalk, I could park free of charge. Is that possible now?
Disney has really restricted parking at the resorts because unfortunately some people abused it, using it as a way to park for free while spending all day in the parks. The issue is especially severe at resorts on the monorail and Skyliner routes as well as resorts that are within walking distance of a park. It got even worse when Galaxy's Edge opened at DHS, because then the Epcot area resorts were walking distance to two very popular parks.

Sometimes the guards at Boardwalk will let people in to park, presumably because "the" Boardwalk was previously promoted as a place to visit and shop without needing a reservation of any kind. But again, many guests abused that privilege - and it made it difficult for guests staying at the Boardwalk Resort to find parking.

So, you might be admitted to the Boardwalk parking lot without an ADR there, or you might not. Personally, I'd park at DS and take the bus to Boardwalk.

In theory, one can abuse the system by parking free at Disney Springs and using the bus to go to the theme park?

In theory, one can abuse the system by parking free at Disney Springs and using the bus to go to the theme park?
Busses do not go from Disney Springs to the parks around rope drop as Disney Springs opens at 10 am, so that wouldn't work in that regard. During the middle of the day and the evening, sure you could by walking to Saratoga and using their busses.

Disney has really restricted parking at the resorts because unfortunately some people abused it, using it as a way to park for free while spending all day in the parks. The issue is especially severe at resorts on the monorail and Skyliner routes as well as resorts that are within walking distance of a park. It got even worse when Galaxy's Edge opened at DHS, because then the Epcot area resorts were walking distance to two very popular parks.

Sometimes the guards at Boardwalk will let people in to park, presumably because "the" Boardwalk was previously promoted as a place to visit and shop without needing a reservation of any kind. But again, many guests abused that privilege - and it made it difficult for guests staying at the Boardwalk Resort to find parking.

So, you might be admitted to the Boardwalk parking lot without an ADR there, or you might not. Personally, I'd park at DS and take the bus to Boardwalk.
YUP^^^ Also Boardwalk is a convention hotel and that makes parking very valuable, which was already a problem at Boardwalk and a few others.

A side thought but once Disney started charging the overnight guests to park in the lots, they needed to be sure that there was spots available without issue or deal with irate guests. I don't understand why at that point they didn't have a separated section for dining guests that were a timed ticket, stamp if you ate or shop for a couple hours free OR pay if you didn't at a rate that discourages leaving your car too long.

When they reopened after COVID they really cracked down on the no ADR, no entry. If one really wanted to visit there are other ways to park and come in on transportation. Disney was also not fully staffed and they needed to keep their amenities available to their own guests.

And not to sound negative BUT at this point Disney does not need outside visitors or dollars unless they have an ADR in the resorts. I visited a few hotels last trip and the quick food locations were overwhelmed and it wasn't peak hours. Bars were full. One had their QS closed and it was just after peak dinner. I think they truly are discouraging any visitors, they just don't need them.

There are no buses from Disney Springs to the parks.

You would still have to use a bus to a resort and then walk or get another form of transportation to a park. Also the buses don't run until Disney Springs opens and for most parks you'd miss out on the golden first 1-2 hours of a park being open. You could do this from 10 am on, but the loss of time is usually not worth not paying to park right at the park.

We are DVC members and were staying at OKW. We just wanted to look around Animal Kingdom Kidani village and they would not let us in.

Not without a dining reservation and even with one you could be sent to the overflow across the road at Boardwalk.

Guests parking at resorts with easy access to parks to avoid parking fees were using up all the parking, resulting in the resort guests (who pay to park for the night) were left without parking spots, so Disney is enforcing parking policies.

It is an abuse of parking to park in someone's lot anywhere in the world and go to someone else's place, unless specifically permitted.

At Walt Disney World, Boardwalk, Disney Springs, and Epcot are "different people's places" and if you were visiting Boardwalk you were expected to drive out of their lot when you were going to go someplace else.

It would actually be a good idea for Disney's resorts to collect a deposit for someone wishing to park, and refund that when the guest has left according to the rules. Magic Bands could be used to good advantage to track the guest. Guests would not be obliged to have their Magic Bands inspected; they could simply drive out of the lot without collecting the deposit.

A good Magic Band system would even allow day guests to park at a resort all day for an event such as wedding that took place at that resort over the whole day. I actually attended a 3 day convention at Coronado Springs, although I coincidentally stayed there through all 3 days because I got a good annual pass room rate..

Last edited:
You could sign up for a DVC tour at RIV. Maybe not GF because they have a lot less parking and all that construction.

The hotels, Disney Springs, and the theme parks are always free. It is the extras that cost money. Disney Springs has great shopping, and good restaurants. Boardwalk has a nice beach for swimming, great restaurants, and good shopping. It is not as kid friendly as Disney Springs. Both have good shopping, but Boardwalk is more upscale. If you want to swim with the dolphins at Epcot, it will cost you. If you want to golf on Disney's two championship golf courses, it will cost you. If you want to rent a boat and go around the Seven Seas Lagoon that is part of the Magic Kingdom, it will cost you. If you want to go to the chapel in Epcot where you can be married by a Disney character, it will cost you. If you want to ride Space Mountain all day long and never have to wait in line, it will cost you. If you want to see all the baby animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom before they can fly or run, it will cost you. If you want to have lunch at the Tusker House Restaurant with Tarzan and Jane, it will cost you. If you want to see the "Rainforest Cafe with Nemo and Friends" it will cost you. If you want to have breakfast with princesses, it will cost you.

The hotels, Disney Springs, and the theme parks are always free. It is the extras that cost money. Disney Springs has great shopping, and good restaurants. Boardwalk has a nice beach for swimming, great restaurants, and good shopping. It is not as kid friendly as Disney Springs. Both have good shopping, but Boardwalk is more upscale. If you want to swim with the dolphins at Epcot, it will cost you. If you want to golf on Disney's two championship golf courses, it will cost you. If you want to rent a boat and go around the Seven Seas Lagoon that is part of the Magic Kingdom, it will cost you. If you want to go to the chapel in Epcot where you can be married by a Disney character, it will cost you. If you want to ride Space Mountain all day long and never have to wait in line, it will cost you. If you want to see all the baby animals at Disney's Animal Kingdom before they can fly or run, it will cost you. If you want to have lunch at the Tusker House Restaurant with Tarzan and Jane, it will cost you. If you want to see the "Rainforest Cafe with Nemo and Friends" it will cost you. If you want to have breakfast with princesses, it will cost you.

You can't swim at any of the WDW "beaches" and there is no beach at the Boardwalk, not sure what shopping you are referring to except the screen door general store.

If you have an ADR at one of the two table service restaurants, you will be allowed to park at the resort but you are expected to move your car after your meal. The only free parking is at DS, even resort guests pay for nightly parking at the resorts now, which could be one of the reasons for the enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter