Freebies for Honeymooners?

GovieMom

DIS Veteran
My good friend's DD will be honeymooning in Disneyworld as a first-timer in late October. She wanted to use a TA to book her trip, but instead of using the Disney-authorized TA that I suggested, she used a generic travel agency. Anyhow..... that TA informed her that she'll be getting a Honeymoon button when she gets to her resort (Poly), and that by wearing the button, she and her hubbie will be getting all kinds of free things during their trip; such as fancy desserts in the restaurants, and handouts at gift shops. Okay......

I was under the impression that didn't happen, at least not nowadays. I mean, anyone could wear a button saying it was their honeymoon, or birthday, or anniversary, etc. Disney can't be giving freebies to everyone with buttons, or do they indeed do anything special for honeymooners that I'm not aware of?

Thats what i call, the "pixie dust" and yes, it certainly happens.

CMs don't have to and it should never, EVER, be expected, but yes from time to time people celebrating something special have been offered things from different CMs, but no travel agent should have the guests expecting something.

The TA is mistaken and shame on them for misleading the couple. You are correct that nowadays a button for any celebration will get you many well wishes and possible treats such as a cupcake or glass of champagne. Please let your friends know not to expect any special treatment, that way they won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen and pleased if it does.

If the friend didn't take the advice the first time, not sure if he/she will isten this time. I'd say nothing.

It does happen but nobody should go there looking for lots of freebies...they might be disappointed.

When we were on our honeymoon(also 1st time at wdw) we were givin so many extra desserts we didn't know what to do with them and a few fast passes. We really had a lot of pixie dust when we went. But don't expect it otherwise you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Things like that do happen but are not to be expected.We were there on our honeymoon, wore our buttons and got nothing but well wishes ....which was fine since I didnt expect anything else, nor did I know they did those little pixie dust things

When my fiancee and I got engaged at WDW back in '11, we wore the "Just Engaged" buttons and had the engagement noted on all our ADRs (actually Chris in the AKL-CL went ahead and noted it for us without telling us). Some of the characters really hammed it up when they noticed the buttons and cast members (and guests) would congratulate us out of no where. Some of the restaurants did something nice for us but most didn't. As the others have said, sometimes you get some pixie dust but most offen you don't. It's best to not go in expecting anything and appreciate whatever little pixie just they may get.

My wife was given a free churro on our honeymoon while we were walking past Mexico. She still looks for that CM every time we go to Epcot.

That free churro probably cost me $50k over the years.

For birthdays, anniversies, honeymoons, and other celebrations . . .

1) It is a matter of the CM's personal initiative.
. . . depends upon how much they like you as a guest
. . . depends if they feel like doing anything special today
. . . depends upon the phase of the moon
2) CM's can do a lot, or they can do nothing at all - they have immense control.
. . . they are under no obligation to give goodies
. . . they are under no obligation to even acknowledge your special day
. . . but, they can go way overboard and give lots of gifts to a guest
3) The CM's have a lot of leeway of things to do or not do for you if they wish
4) Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . table with Mickey confetti
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . character-autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . wine or champagne or Shirley Temples
. . . appetizers or desserts
. . . cakes
. . . cupcake with candle (almost always available for the asking)
. . . placemats autographed by characters
. . . free appy or free dessert
. . . ride an attraction with a character
5) Other items CM's can give for free
. . . room full of balloons and/or flowers
. . . fruit basket or wine basket in hotel room
. . . individual fastpasses or booklets of several fastpasses
. . . food and snack items (candy, popcorn, sundries)
. . . room uogrades
. . . attraction rides with characters
6) If you want something special (cakes, etc) buy them instead of hoping for them.

NOTE: Hundreds or even thousands of folks are celebrating everyday
at WDW. If they gave an item to all of them it would be too much time
and too much money.

in december we wore our happily ever after buttons during our honeymoon visit. received many congratulatory wishes from CMs, one cupcake at a dinner, a champagne toast and the best one was getting to sit together even though we went through the single rider line. That CM was pretty sneaky about it to, let my DH go first to row # whatever, let a few groups of standby line people by and then sent me to the same row # as DH. we didn't realize it until i got to line. felt badly that we couldn't even say thank you to the CM.

i'd say we received congratulatory wishes from about 90% of the CMs we encountered, we appreciated it and thought it was very nice of them all. with so many guests wearing buttons, they must get so tired of saying happy birthday, congratulations, etc

We've been several times for our anniversaries and have gotten a few nice desserts here and there and some free champagne, but we never expected it. It was just nice to get it every now and then.

I went for my honeymoon last October - we decked out in the buttons, bride and groom mouse ears and I was in a bright white dress - it was very obvious. No free anything for us - granted, we got a LOT of congrats and that was lovely :) We weren't expecting anything though, just going to celebrate. However - we DID get pulled into the new Fantasyland by a CM before it opened during the CM preview and we were one of the very first people to eat at BOG. That was AMAZING!!

We received a room upgrade at CR to an MK view and a special dessert at every restaurant we ate at. We were there for 11 days on the old Gold Plan and ate at all the signature restaurants. We felt very fortunate. Cast members were great! Hope the happy couple has a great experience!

On our Honeymoon (granted, this was in 1999), we had the buttons and almost every CM had congratulatory statements.

As far as free things go, we received free dessert at several restaurants and on Pirates of the Caribbean, they gave us our own boat as the CMs led the rest of the line in applause.

Thanks to all who responded so far. I told my friend that her daughter should expect nothing more than hearing congratulations, and anything beyond that would be a bonus. Hopefully she'll get some pixie dust!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter