French Market will be converted into Tiana's Palace restaurant in 2023

I’ve never even tried the ones at the Jazz Kitchen because we rarely go to DtD! Some people say the ones at the Jazz Kitchen are better…. Mint Julep is way more convenient though, and since my kids love them…. 🤷‍♀️

It's a pretty simple recipe. I'm pretty sure it works well hand cut, but one can find mickey head shaped cutters, although I think most are small for cutting cookie dough.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...with-this-fan-favorite-classic-disney-recipe/

And the candy cane version I mentioned previously:

Candy-Cane-MM-Beignets-Cafe-Orleans.pdf

I'm not a huge fan of the beignets at Market House. To me, the JK beignets are way better, but you know how it is! There are plenty of people who feel the opposite.

I've made my own beignets at home with the Cafe du Monde mix, which is what they use at Jazz Kitchen. They sell it there but it's a lot cheaper if you buy it at World Market, which conveniently has a store in my town. Honestly, my homemade ones are a lot like the ones at Market House, which is to say they're good but not nearly the quality of JK fresh, even though I'm supposedly using the same mix.

Several years back World of Disney and some of the other shops used to sell little boxes of gingerbread cookie mix with an attached small Mickey head cookie cutter so you could make the Mickey gingerbread at home. I used that little cookie cutter for beignets when I wanted them Mickey shaped--they were just the right size. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to find a cookie cutter like that if you really wanted to make some Mickey beignets at home.

Mickey Beignets are very thin and basically deflate as soon as you take a bite. They are pretty tasteless without the sugar.

Jazz Kitchen ones are more traditional. They are heavier and much thicker, more like a donut. They puff up a bit but are not like pillows. The dough itself has a more pronounced tangy flavor profile, likely because it contains buttermilk. It reminds me of a deep fried pancake.

Mickey Beignets are very thin and basically deflate as soon as you take a bite. They are pretty tasteless without the sugar.

Jazz Kitchen ones are more traditional. They are heavier and much thicker, more like a donut. They puff up a bit but are not like pillows. The dough itself has a more pronounced tangy flavor profile, likely because it contains buttermilk. It reminds me of a deep fried pancake.
Yes, all of this. Nothing will ever top your description of the Mickey beignets as powdered sugar flavored air.

I don't know if there's just one way to do it. Popeye's has done beignets, but so far they're pretty small an usually filled.

I used to get them at this place near me. They cost $1 each and when I asked I was told they used a pretty standard donut recipe but just cut them and then put on powdered sugar. They were good, but they powered them then left them there where the sugar would absorb the oil.

Another really good place was this Vietnamese cafe in San Jose which has since closed. I don't think beignets are necessarily a popular Vietnamese food, but this place said they were New Orleans style. They never had a consistent shape and were always made to order and then freshly dusted with powdered sugar.

o.jpg

I don't know if there's just one way to do it. Popeye's has done beignets, but so far they're pretty small an usually filled.

I used to get them at this place near me. They cost $1 each and when I asked I was told they used a pretty standard donut recipe but just cut them and then put on powdered sugar. They were good, but they powered them then left them there where the sugar would absorb the oil.

Another really good place was this Vietnamese cafe in San Jose which has since closed. I don't think beignets are necessarily a popular Vietnamese food, but this place said they were New Orleans style. They never had a consistent shape and were always made to order and then freshly dusted with powdered sugar.

o.jpg

Those look more like the Jazz Kitchen ones. That is the traditional style.

Vietnamese pastry is basically French pastry. The French influence from the colonization is evident whenever you go to a Vietnamese Bakery.

Those look more like the Jazz Kitchen ones. That is the traditional style.

Vietnamese pastry is basically French pastry. The French influence from the colonization is evident whenever you go to a Vietnamese Bakery.

I've had plenty of Vietnamese bakery items, but I never heard of any Vietnamese restaurant or bakery that had beignets until this one. They didn't even have pho but had other items like a beef soup.

But here's a weird twist - Vietnamese food in Louisiana. Beignets of course, but they call their sandwiches "Vietnamese Po-Boys".

http://beignetsandmore.com/

menu.jpg

This seems closer to what I remember with my first beignets. Nicely rectangular and not all that deeply fried.

168.jpg

Have yet to try this place:

1471500395991.jpeg

I'm another one who likes the Jazz Kitchen Beignets better. However, it's so fun to sit in the shade and enjoy the DL Mickey ones mid-morning. :love:

We used to go to JK for breakfast on our last day before we left for home and have those beignets. It was something to look forward to on our way out of town. HOWEVER, when they started charging for the first couple of hours of parking in DTD, it made it harder to do. :(

The one thing I hope they KEEP at the French Market restaurant is the corn chowder in the sourdough bread bowl. That is my go-to meal there and it has been consistently good through the years. I would be sad to see it go--particularly in the winter.

The one thing I hope they KEEP at the French Market restaurant is the corn chowder in the sourdough bread bowl. That is my go-to meal there and it has been consistently good through the years. I would be sad to see it go--particularly in the winter.

That’s a variation in Boudin’s clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. Of course with bread supplied by the Boudin bakery at DCA.

That’s a variation in Boudin’s clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. Of course with bread supplied by the Boudin bakery at DCA.
Boudin also has corn chowder, but not all the time (I don't think). For the longest time I thought "ew" when I saw it on the menu because I thought it was a cream of corn soup. Then I saw it when someone ordered it and I said, "They have tortilla soup in a bread bowl????" and finally figured it out.

Boudin also has corn chowder, but not all the time (I don't think). For the longest time I thought "ew" when I saw it on the menu because I thought it was a cream of corn soup. Then I saw it when someone ordered it and I said, "They have tortilla soup in a bread bowl????" and finally figured it out.

Boudin has a variety but I don't see any corn chowder. And it's not necessarily what they have at their DCA location.

https://boudinbakery.com/menu/soups-chilis/

I know what it says and I know it's correct - but there is 0% chance I will not be calling this Tiana's Place.

Just had to step in and say y'all are worrying about the beignets, I'm still mourning the fritters they used to sell at the French Market way back when. They were DELICIOUS, and I would always get one every time I went to Disneyland. I miss those so much! I've just never found any as good as those! I'll get beignets, but it's just not the same.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter