French Onion Soup

YorkieMom

"Please stand clear of the doors, por favor manten
Where is the best place to get French Onion Soup ?????

Les Chefs in France looks amazing. I wouldn't buy it at BOG. It is vegatarian, so the base is vegtable broth not beef based broth. It is not nearly as rich.
Good Luck

BOG at both lunch and dinner. I like it because they use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. More authentic IMO.

Chefs de France also has it (of course) and the soup here is highly rated from reviews I've read.

Les Chef's French Onion soup is both very good and kind of "meh" at the same time. The broth, cheese, and bread have very good flavor. The onions, on the other hand, could have stood to be more cooked both times I've had it. I'm used to French Onion soup where the onions are caramelized before being added to the broth. The ones at Les Chefs are not caramelized first; it's more like they're medium sliced (about 1/2-inch thick) and then tossed in the broth to cook (i.e., be boiled).

Like OrangeCountyCommunter, I thought beef broth was the more authentic/common stock used for French Onion Soup, whereas vegetable broth is the method to make it vegetarian.

I am by no means a French onion soup connoisseur, but it is a favorite of mine. I was quite happy with the preparation and presentation at both Chefs (lunch and dinner) and BOG (lunch).

IMO, you are not going to find that anywhere in WDW. I had the soup at Chef and after 3 bites I could not do any more of it. It was not good.

Real French Onion soup is made with beef broth, as an FYI. :)

Les Chefs in France looks amazing. I wouldn't buy it at BOG. It is vegatarian, so the base is vegtable broth not beef based broth. It is not nearly as rich.
Good Luck

I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. I had the french onion soup at BOG on our last trip & I wasn't crazy about it. It tasted very bland to me...very weak broth. Now I know why. I was going to give it another try, but probably won't bother.

The BEST French Onion Soup in the world (in the world I've experienced, anyway :)) is at a restaurant called La Bonne Soupe in New York City. Seriously, if you're in New York, go to this restaurant.

In DISNEY World, however, I think the soup at BOG is quite delicious, and a great option for vegetarians. It's also nice and light, sometimes on a hot day that can be nice. However, Chefs De France takes the cake for me. It's rich, and traditional and all around perfection.

Good Luck

DH, who has had FO soup in many fine restaurants, disagrees.

He says you can truly taste the onion, which is of course what you should taste. Modern chefs have grown to rely on the broth making up the flavor, so that's what modern palates are used to, but it's not the point of the soup. Onions are.

From his experience and background, BOG's is actually the best he's had.

I don't care for any FO soup so I don't know. (But BOG's potato leek, also vegetarian, is nearly as good as mine, which is pretty darned good. )

Dh & I get the french onion soup at BOG every time we go and really love it. It actually has a very rich flavor without the overly strong beef flavor that some soups have. It is delicious!

I didn't know BOG's soup was vegetarian. I love it!!! Delicious!
I make my French Onion Soup with beef broth. Maybe I'll try making mine with a vegetable broth.

This one is easy..Les Chefs hands down. Went with a few people for lunch. We all got the soup!

Mine is made with consommé, Porto and homemade garlic croutons. Plus 3 types of Cheese on top. Mmmmmm

I am pretty sure "authentic" French Onion Soup is made with beef broth not vegetable

In the US, yes. In France, outside the tourist places, we've usually seen vegetable, or even chicken stock. At least in our experience. And its made with properly caramelized onions, and finished with a splash of cognac just before it goes under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Oh, lord, just writing this has my salivary glands in overdrive.

Last edited:
I prefer beefy onion soup - so it will be Chef's. Is the portion enough for a light lunch ????

In the US, yes. In France, outside the tourist places, we've usually seen vegetable, or even chicken stock. At least in our experience. And its made with properly caramelized onions, and finished with a splash of cognac just before it goes under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Oh, lord, just writing this has my salivary glands in overdrive.
+1

I've always known chicken or veal stock - sometimes white wine or cognac - but never beef stock - thankfully it's too hot here today to be wanting it as after reading your description it really brings it to mind :)

I prefer beefy onion soup - so it will be Chef's. Is the portion enough for a light lunch ????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter