French Toast

So the French toast was covered with dry cinnamon (after it was cooked) similar to how they usually do with powdered sugar?
That, IMO would be very unusual

Yes. It looked like they sprinkled it with a cinnamon/sugar mixture while it was cooking. It made a darkish coating on the French Toast and the sugar was kind of crystalized like it had been cooked.

I would not expect cinnamon as an original ingredient in french toast, but over the years it's become more common. I agree it should be listed in the description.
Original french toast..bread, eggs and vanilla.

That's how I, and my mom, always make French toast.

The cinnamon thing is fairly recent (well, in my eyes) maybe about the last 10 years. Thought to "fancy" it up, possibly.

I prefer just the plain (unflavored) French toast.

But, it should be listed (whether as part of the mix or dusted on afterward). I agree there are people with allergies who would like to be aware of it.

We make ours with nutmeg and sometimes cinnamon. When I see "cinnamon French toast" on a menu, I assume it is coated with cinnamon sugar and often do not order it. (This is because of the overt sweetness it will have.)

As cinnamon doesn't bother me--I haven't paid any particular attention to whether it is in my French toast when I order it. But personally, I do think it is standard to give the French toast a little bit of flavor.

My husband is bothered by certain ingredients and has learned to verify his meals don't contain then in restaurants. He learned the hard way there is no standard.

I would make sure to request every time you order that no cinnamon be included.

That's how I, and my mom, always make French toast.

The cinnamon thing is fairly recent (well, in my eyes) maybe about the last 10 years. Thought to "fancy" it up, possibly.

I prefer just the plain (unflavored) French toast.

But, it should be listed (whether as part of the mix or dusted on afterward). I agree there are people with allergies who would like to be aware of it.

People with allergies should ask if X is in the item they are ordering. A menu isn't going to list every ingredient in each dish. Many menus state to inform your server of any allergies.

Cinnamon is a common ingredient in French toast. No need for the restaurant to change the menu.

Probably used as a garnish as powdered sugar is. I don't always see powdered sugar listed and it comes out covered with it. Since cinnamon is generally an ingredient in French toast, the restaurant was using it as a garnis as something different.

That is a very good point. French toast nearly always comes out dusted with powdered sugar (sometimes more than just a dusting, but I digress), but it is never called "Powdered Sugar French Toast" on the menu. It's just one of those things you have to assume will be included and either you're ok with it or you learn to ask before you order.

I'm sure he's had it mixed in the batter many times and not even known it. What surprised us was that the French toast was literally covered in it. That's why I thought it should have been noted on the menu.

It was likely cinnamon sugar. Plain cinnamon would not taste very good in a heavy dose. As someone else mentioned cinnamon french toast is called that because it's made with cinnamon bread not because there's cinnamon sprinkled on top. It's akin to brioche french toast made with brioche bread.

I consider it standard. I have never made it without and expect to see it in restaurants.

People with allergies should ask if X is in the item they are ordering. A menu isn't going to list every ingredient in each dish. Many menus state to inform your server of any allergies. Cinnamon is a common ingredient in French toast. No need for the restaurant to change the menu.

I completely agree. I have a few items I don't care for and I make sure to ask. With the food issues your son has, you should be asking regardless if what the menu reads.

I got out a couple of my old recipe books and, in The American Woman's Cookbook, published 1944; as well as the Betty Crocker's Cookbook, published 1980 (new and revised edition) neither one has cinnamon as an ingredient in French toast.

I agree it's fairly standard now, but it hasn't always "been in there".

I agree that "Cinnamon French toast" would be made with a bread that has cinnamon in it, not just dusted on top. But the dusting on top is the quick, shortcut way to dress up the dish.

French toast is bread soaked in egg/milk and fried.

Garnish (cinnamon ) optional.

Our french toast ALWAYS has cinnamon in it, and I would never assume otherwise if I ordered at a restaurant.

In the future, since so many of us have the experience of having cinnamon in the french toast batter, OP would be well advised to inquire since it seems to be a deal breaker for her son.

Cinnamon is a staple in the ingredient list around here. You would absolutely have to request no cinnamon when ordering French Toast.

As far as cinnamon being "new fangled," I learned to make french toast from my midwestern mom in the early 70's. I doubt we were ahead of our time and we certainly weren't being fancy!

I do not use spices in my French toast but I think its a pretty common ingredient in restaurant-made French toast. If I knew my child would not eat French toast with cinnamon, I would have asked about it outright. Why would you take the chance?

I am allergic to cranberries and pineapple. You wouldn't believe how many foods have one or both ingredients. When I order food anywhere I always ask, because I don't want any surprises.

I've had french toast in restaurants. Sometimes it has cinnamon and sometimes it doesn't. It seems like there would be a description of what is added to the item if they top it with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, it's probably best to just ask if it will contain cinnamon.

I always make it with cinnamon, but my mother never did.

As a mom to a DS with Asperger's, I understand the frustration, sometimes, of ordering from a menu.

I remember when DS was younger, he would order a cheeseburger with catsup only. Once, a waitress brought his plate out and they had added dill pickle slices. You guessed it, he wouldn't touch it. Since I had specified catsup only, I sent it back. (they probably only took the pickles off in the kitchen :rolleyes1)

I do not use cinnamon in my French toast at home. However, if it is on your DS's "list" of things he will not eat, I would specifically ask the waitress before ordering.

TC :cool1:

My mom made french toast quite a bit when I was growing up (quick and cheap), and I've NEVER seen or heard of cinnamon being used as an ingredient. I've also never eaten it in a restaurant, so I wouldn't think to ask if it had cinnamon on or in it, because I've never seen or heard of french toast being made that way. For me, it would be a pleasant surprise; for those with food sensitivities, I can see how it would be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter