"French Women Don't Get Fat": Has anyone read this book?

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
I haven't, but I'm very intrigued by the reviews.

The basic premise seems to be that the attitudes and approach to eating in France is very different from what we see in the US.

The French eat what they like, but in smaller portions. They enjoy and savor and are friends with food. :)

I like and agree with many of the tips I see from the book:

1) Drink lots of water
2) Eat three meals a day, no snacks. (okay... that one's not necessarily my approach, but I understand how it does control the total amount of food consumed.)
3) Avoid processed foods. (Absolutely! Eating fresh or very simply prepared foods is usually MUCH more nutritious and lower in fat/calories than more processed items, or more complex dishes. She recommends eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.)
4) Never eat standing up, on the run or in front of the TV.
5) Enjoy wine regularly, but with meals, and only a glass (or two).
6) Eat chocolate, in moderation. (I fully agree with this one!! )
7) Get moving. Go down the stairs, up the stairs, walk, walk, walk...

Although there are some recipes here, this doesn't sound like a diet plan. It's not about nutrition per se. It's about attitudes toward food, and moderation and common sense.

Based on the reviews I've seen, I think I NEED to read this book!

I have been very interested in checking this book out myself - I think the premise is very interesting. I know so much of a weight problem can be your attitude toward food (definitely a problem for me :eek: ). Next time I'm at B&N I'll have to pick this up!

I'll have to see if our local library has this one on the shelves. It never hurts to read.

I read a review of this book on the plane back to MA yesterday.

It said it was pretty unrealistic---saying always eat fresh foods, and if you barely have time to cook a pizza, you'll barely have time to follow their advice. Also said caviar and something??? was a meal suggestion, so it could be kind of pricey for a family of four.

Just the review I read, but I haven't seen the book.

I saw the lady interviewed on the Today show. I don't know if I bought into it. She said if you eat a big ol' croissant for breakfast one day, then you eat a yogurt the next. Sounds like the kinda stuff people have been saying for years. Also that French women drink more water than American women which may well be true.

I do think other cultures see food differently than we do here. We definitely like more for our money which goes for portion sizes, too. Maybe it's as simple as keeping portion sizes reasonable.

I have heard, don't know how true it is, that many French women are smokers which helps keep their weight down, though I don't think that helps their risk of heart disease.

chimera said:
I saw the lady interviewed on the Today show. I don't know if I bought into it. She said if you eat a big ol' croissant for breakfast one day, then you eat a yogurt the next. Sounds like the kinda stuff people have been saying for years.

People may have been saying it for years, but do people here DO it?

Just curious, what part of it do you not buy into?

It sounds very intersting. I do think that we are obsessed with food, and other cultures have completely different views. Food is just that... food. It isn't a medication, it isn't a reward, it isn't a friend. It is just nourishment for your body.

WebmasterKathy said:
People may have been saying it for years, but do people here DO it?

Just curious, what part of it do you not buy into?

I guess it just didn't sound like anything new...or maybe anything that would help me. I'm still looking for the magic bullet or that ONE thing that will magically make the weight just melt away. LOL...maybe that just proves the author's point.

Looking back at the OP, I probably answered too quickly the first time. I work with a lot of patients on weight management issues, so my knee jerk reaction to any new 'diet' book is skepticism. I do think she's right about the attitude being different. I wonder if other European countries are the same. Do they eat like we do in the UK or Germany? I only have EPCOT to go by on that...we've never eaten in the French restaurant, only the patisserie. But, I do love the Biergarten :flower1:

I haven't even heard about this book but over the weekend I came across two very interesting things:

1. I read an article about how french women cook and french desserts. The stuff they eat for dessert is MUCH more simple than what we've come to expect in the U.S. They have plain and simple fruit tarts, or very simple cakes. No "Chocolate Brownie Overloads" or "Volcano Cakes" or "Triple Death Sundaes" etc. You get my drift. They have something like Gingerbread Cake or Pear Tarts.

2. Walking. I was watching Rachael Ray's "$40 A Day" show. She was in Italy. I was just stunned at the amount of people just walking around doing their shopping, errands, etc. In fact, wherever she was, I didn't even see a car accept for the one she drove getting out to the country side. I think in most of Europe they do a TON of walking. Very different from the U.S. lifestyle. That alone would allow them to keep their weight down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter