FRG...Help Needed!

irishbosoxfan

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br><font color=te
I am looking for ideas for a successful Family Readiness Group.

This is a new group so any and all ideas will be appreciated greatly!!

What do you think makes for a succesful FRG? What are some things you would like to see included for every group? What wisdom would you impart on new spouses?

How would you run meetings? What's the best way to get more people involved? What information would you most like to see be made available?

I am hoping to get as much information as possible and I know that the DIS has quite a few spouses and service members so feel free to give me every thing you've got!!

Whatever you do, make the meetings casual and friendly. I have been to far too many frg meetings where people are trying to "out do" each other. Don't allow everyone to constantly associate themselves with rank. Wives are people, not their husbands' rank.

I am an officer's wife and I have been put off by the actions of so many wives who try to outrank the other wives. Most spouses want to help and be involved, but not if it comes at the price of being looked down on.

Make sure you share valuable and meaningful information at the meetings, not just on what the frg needs people to do. Be sure to pass along info on childcare and family support organizations. Too many young wives get put off by frgs asking for volunteer work and then get nothing in return when they need help.

Just my two cents...

I will be back to put in my 2 cents. I have to get to work soon but I have all kinds of ideas. I've ran 3 FRGs through deployments and non deployments. I've dealt with whiners and witches and the lost souls.

First and foremost don't take yourself seriously and always keep it welcoming. The biggest obstacle to having a good FRG is the soldier well thats my opinion anyways. Soldiers think it's a bunch of whiny wives gossiping or just sitting around having bon bons but then want the FRG involved when it's time for help.

When the soldiers were home, I got the soldiers and the families involved. Start thinking about things you can do together as a group. Mine usually involved fun fundraisers...whipcream pie in the face to the highest bidder, karoke contests again could be auctioned off for humilation, dessert social where everyone brings desserts and ponies up 5 bucks to sample all the desserts.

It's about getting your families comfortable with each other before you are needed. Also remember that your FRG is for empowering the family to have the knowledge of what is avialable at your post.

LOL I already wrote a book here and have a million other things I can offer. First, if you haven't already, take your post FRG leader class. Everyone post has basic guidelines on how they want the FRGs ran. I've always heard it referred to as Operation Ready but I guess it can be called alot of other things but those people have great resources and ideas also.

Tina--I anxiously await your return!

I have already visited about half of the places on post and gathered info--I have to hit some more places today. At each place I collected pamphlets and asked questions like "What info do you think is important for them to know?" and "When you were new to this post what info did you wish you knew" and stuff like that.

I have created a list of all the phone numbers on post that could be useful to the wives along with the addresses and a brief summary of what the place does.

I have put together a short history of the place the spouses work at along with the crest and insignia associated with it. I created a list of acronyms,times and the phonetic alphabet.

I have come up with some fun activities (at least I think so) and some fundraising ideas as well.

My laundry room is FRG central with white boards and filing cabinet and lots of.... stuff

I need more!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is why I came here--I want to know what every spouse wishes they knew, I want to know what every soldier wishes we knew, I want to be better at this than I am and if something comes up I want to be 10000% prepared.

make activities fun. my last unit had mostly single people, so the few of us married soldiers who had been around a while were like, ok, we won't be going to that. The unit before that, great FRG! I still talk to her! they have a lot of things that they do. like freedom fest(they have a food booth) they have had the dunk tank, pie in the face (favorite targets were the CO and 1SGT- make sure that you run it by them and they are ok with it!) there was one dunk tank that both those refused to participate- didn't make much money, and when a senior NCO tried to talk them into it, he got dropped!
depending on the mix of married with kids and single people, it will make things interesting. I know that single people don't always want to do things like easter egg hunt, halloween party, more family oriented stuff. what they did was- decorate your door (barracks) and prizes were awarded- 3 and 4 day passes. costume contests again passes. that helped get the single soldiers involved.

DO not let it turn into rank or political. I know a lot of spouses try to use rank- they are not active duty, they have no rank! what my hubby and former FRG leader have experienced- do not let sgt major, 1sgt or commanders spouses have a large leadership role- they take over and all the lower enlisted figure what is the point.

that is my perspective on FRG. i have seen good and bad. the unit I am in now, I have had soldiers say, do not contact my wife, she hates the FRG. don't know why, I am fairly new, so don't know what is going on with that.

Tina--I anxiously await your return!

I have already visited about half of the places on post and gathered info--I have to hit some more places today. At each place I collected pamphlets and asked questions like "What info do you think is important for them to know?" and "When you were new to this post what info did you wish you knew" and stuff like that.

I have created a list of all the phone numbers on post that could be useful to the wives along with the addresses and a brief summary of what the place does.

I have put together a short history of the place the spouses work at along with the crest and insignia associated with it. I created a list of acronyms,times and the phonetic alphabet.

I have come up with some fun activities (at least I think so) and some fundraising ideas as well.

My laundry room is FRG central with white boards and filing cabinet and lots of.... stuff

I need more!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is why I came here--I want to know what every spouse wishes they knew, I want to know what every soldier wishes we knew, I want to be better at this than I am and if something comes up I want to be 10000% prepared.

First, I'm going to tell you that you are never completely prepared. Seriously, the most crazy stuff you could never think of has a very good chance of happening. Just be armed with resources and some patience.

I think a great FRG leader is someone that cares and is genuine. If people can warm up to you, and know that you are real and want to help then they will seek you out. What kind of FRG does your commander want to have? This is pretty important as FRG is a commander's program ultimately. What about the BN? Do you receive your information from them? Do you have a FRGA/FRSA that helps get you information? BTW are you preparing for a deployment?

What kind of resources do you have at ACS? Usually you can get information booklets about all the organizations that fall under ACS(EFMP, Employment, Financial Readiness, Family Advocacy, and other programs). Do you have the little handheld(pocket/wallet size) cards with important numbers like post information, staff duty/cq, 1sgt/CO's office, and whatever you think is important. We had the little cards with general post information and then I made magnents with the specific company information.

Do you have alot of new families in your unit now? I would start getting them squared away with POAs. One night I had a big potluck where we met and had dinner and then legal came out and made general POAs for families and went over the different POAs possible especially those with children and maybe sending kids to grandparents for vacation. Legal can also update wills or create new ones.

One thing that helped me was getting wlecome packets from ACS or the post information office. Each packet usually had a phone book, maps of post, details about the agencies on post and contacts, as well as some information about the area right outside of post.

Do you have your phone tree set up? Do you have POC in place? Get some good exprienced people for your POCs because they are your first line of defense. If one of your family members is having an issue they should go to the POC(if they feel comfortable) and your POC should be able to set them in the right direction instead of just sending it up to you. Find out what families do not want to be involved with the FRG and that includes getting information. Have the SPOUSE sign a statement of non-inclusion. Very important because you don't want them to come back saying you didn't send me info blah blah.

If you want to talk more about this, I'd be happy to send you an email or a phone number. I'm actually setting up new FRGs here at Belvoir now. You'd think I was making fire for the first time the way some people around here are reacting lol. Good luck it sounds like you are doing great and wanting to make a difference and caring about the families is probably the most important thing.

First, I'm going to tell you that you are never completely prepared. Seriously, the most crazy stuff you could never think of has a very good chance of happening. Just be armed with resources and some patience.

I think a great FRG leader is someone that cares and is genuine. If people can warm up to you, and know that you are real and want to help then they will seek you out. What kind of FRG does your commander want to have? This is pretty important as FRG is a commander's program ultimately. What about the BN? Do you receive your information from them? Do you have a FRGA/FRSA that helps get you information? BTW are you preparing for a deployment?

What kind of resources do you have at ACS? Usually you can get information booklets about all the organizations that fall under ACS(EFMP, Employment, Financial Readiness, Family Advocacy, and other programs). Do you have the little handheld(pocket/wallet size) cards with important numbers like post information, staff duty/cq, 1sgt/CO's office, and whatever you think is important. We had the little cards with general post information and then I made magnents with the specific company information.

Do you have alot of new families in your unit now? I would start getting them squared away with POAs. One night I had a big potluck where we met and had dinner and then legal came out and made general POAs for families and went over the different POAs possible especially those with children and maybe sending kids to grandparents for vacation. Legal can also update wills or create new ones.

One thing that helped me was getting wlecome packets from ACS or the post information office. Each packet usually had a phone book, maps of post, details about the agencies on post and contacts, as well as some information about the area right outside of post.

Do you have your phone tree set up? Do you have POC in place? Get some good exprienced people for your POCs because they are your first line of defense. If one of your family members is having an issue they should go to the POC(if they feel comfortable) and your POC should be able to set them in the right direction instead of just sending it up to you. Find out what families do not want to be involved with the FRG and that includes getting information. Have the SPOUSE sign a statement of non-inclusion. Very important because you don't want them to come back saying you didn't send me info blah blah.

If you want to talk more about this, I'd be happy to send you an email or a phone number. I'm actually setting up new FRGs here at Belvoir now. You'd think I was making fire for the first time the way some people around here are reacting lol. Good luck it sounds like you are doing great and wanting to make a difference and caring about the families is probably the most important thing.

Hey Tina!

Let me just tell you and the other FRG leaders.... I LOVE YOU!:goodvibes

The good Lord blessed me with an awesome FRG leader. (Of course she is in my old unit, but that is another story for a private conversation!)

She's got a talent for watching out for the Love of My Life, who is too independant to need anyone or anything from anybody wearing a green suit. God Bless her and y'all because your truly give us a great comfort knowing that someone back home has our back.

I'm not surprised by the reaction that you're getting at your new duty location. Hope you're doing well in Virginia!

DB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter